36 replies to this topic

#1 AWMiller

AWMiller

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

Anyone catch on CNBC the show last night covering the Remington 700 and it's safety issues?

Seems that there's a defect in the trigger mechanism that when conditions are right when you set the safety "on" and touch the bolt to eject the shell that the rifle will fire. They showed many videos from the military and other groups where this was occurring.

There have been many deaths as a result of this action but Remington is not owning up to the research and results that is being presented to them as it would be too costly to recall the 700s out in the market today and fix them.

Reports showed that Remington has known of this issue since the inception of the new "safety" mechanism and knew that it would have cost something like 5 cents a rifle to fix back at the time it was found (something like a total of $12K to fix back in the day). But Remington decided it would cost too much and kept producing the 700 with the known defect. Now if they were to recall and fix it would cost something like $22M!!! So I doubt they'll ever go that route.

If this is the case and all the facts were presented fairly on both sides of the fence, funny how profit outweighs a person's life......

Anyone here have a 700 and have experienced that problem?

#2 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I did catch the show. I have been shooting Remington 700's for nearly 40 years, still have a 700BDL in .17 Remington and have never heard of the problem. I also had one in .30-06 up until a couple years ago. Never had a problem myself or known anyone else that had. Evidently, as they said on the show, Remington has done a good job of covering up the problem. Having said that, I take about half of what I hear on TV with a grain of salt. Negative stories make better "news" I guess. I doubt very seriously if they will air a program about the great safety record of Savage or Winchester.......etc.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#3 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Good thoughts, Danny. Still crazy if it's true. MAJOR fail! And shame on the military for keeping it in circulation?

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#4 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Very true Eric. If all that is true you can bet someone has had their palms greased somewhere along the line to keep it out of the light of day.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#5 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

Most of what you hear is from a model 700 that someone has adjusted the trigger. If you are not trained in Remington Triggers do not adjust the trigger, it can fail if adjusted too light. ET
Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

#6 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

As can any other, good point Ed.
Thomas Jefferson

#7 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

OF COURSE! That would be too much detail and truth for the news to give us. :D

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#8 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Here is a good article about the 700 trigger report. ET

http://www.fieldands...pid=enews102210
Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

#9 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Well you asked if any of had any. We have 5 older and newer. The only problem I have ever had was...

1. One had a very light trigger when I got it....no big problem I just adjusted it.

2. I have one that in order to unload it...you must take it off the safety. This I do not like.

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18180 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Remington seems to be dropping the ball a lot lately, their 17hmr fiasco convinced me to not buy any of their rifles. I am glad to hear that they decided to make that one right finally, after a lot of bad publicity, and rightfully so.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#11 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

One of the guys I work with had it happen some years back on a hunting trip, he is putting in a safety that will not allow you to open the bolt with the safety is on, it is a three position safety. The only one I have had trouble with was on a swede that had a sporting trigger and the trigger had come loose on the action. I tightened it up and all was fine. I just kept checking it more often. I lost it on a walk in sheep hunt while I was crossing a river.

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18180 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

Wow, that had to suck!

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#13 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

I didn't miss it as much as I could have, my pack was 110 lbs. with out it. I then bought a rifle length with a 29.5 " barrel in full military and take it out every once in awhile.

#14 JTKillough

JTKillough

Magister Invisibilis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:43 AM

First rule, never point a gun anywhere you don't want to place a bullet. Whenever you unload a gun, have it pointed in a safe direction. Basic firearm safety taught in a basic firearms course, and I highly recommend it. I have never been a Remington man, but it seems to me that if there was cause for concern, that the trigger or safety system of a given type or brand of rifle was defective, that manufacturer would fix the problem at no charge to the customer. Someone quoted a price tag of $22 million, a drop in the bucket, for a sporting rifle maker with credentials like Remington. I am not however a fan of CNBC, and am convinced that they are against everything freedom loving Americans stand for, including guns. My guess would be that someone adjusted the trigger on a Remington, and the problem stemmed from there, (if said problem exists?) and the anti's jumped at the chance. If I am proven wrong, then you can chastise me here on Predator Talk for sticking to my guns, even if they are not manufactured by Remington.

In order to hunt predators, you need to become invisible. In order to save our hunting tradition......You need to VOTE!

#15 MGTEXAS

MGTEXAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

I would imagine that the safety failures are at least partially due to non-professional adjustments. I own several 700s and have never had a single issue with any of them. However, I have been looking into a model 722, made in the 50s or very early 60s and a 788 made in the 60's. turns out that the 788 apparently was discontinuned due to safety failures in 83. The 700 evolved from that problem. It apparently was even the same type of problem causing the shells to be fired. Remmy has some problems that they need to address.

MG

#16 TexAgBQ81

TexAgBQ81

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Am with JTK in that I only believe 1/2 of what CNBC says then take the other 1/2 with a grain of salt. that being said there could be something wrong but, with as many of them out there, i would venture to say that someone had worked on it.
I have three 788's and have no problems with 2 of them the third has never been fired.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Life member NRA, TSRA, GOA

#17 luckyshot

luckyshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ive owned several older 700's but never had that problem.Was asking a dealer yesterday about the new triggers on the 700,said its designed to fix the possible problem,the way it shouldve been.Talked to a gunsmith at Gander Mtn. couple months ago, said one of the old ones went off on him,he said because it was all gummed up,nasty.The dealer i talked to said same thing,gummed up triggers blamed on the ones he heard of.New X-Mark(i think)supposed to be the fix.

#18 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18180 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

Like anything else in todays society it has to be made bullet proof (read idiot proof)((read lawyer proof)). But as a problem develops, a company that makes an instrument that kills things when it fails should have made an adjustment in their trigger mechanism years ago. If the problems are arising when people adjust them to low, how about we just make it not able to be adjustable to that level, or make a decent non adjustable trigger. Iam surprised that paper companies are not selling sheets of paper with rounded over edges on them. A paper cut is very annoying and can certainly garner a half million or so.

Tree Branch Calls

#19 shep2805

shep2805

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

It happened to me a couple of years ago. Slid the bolt forward and the rifle discharged. Hit the ground--and got us a little excited. But my hand was no where near the trigger--think about where your hand is when you slide the bolt forward and you know there's no way to engage the trigger. I didn't realize until today that the problem is so widespread. Luckily nothing hurt but my pride.

#20 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18180 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to the forum Shep2805.

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Tree Branch Calls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users