Calling mountain Lion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Folsomman

Folsomman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Has anyone ever tried to call mountain lions? I'm trying but just wondereing what sound or call would work best. I have a foxpro and have been using mule deer fawn and blacktail doe, fllowed with mountain lion cub begging and female call. Also I use several diffent mouth calls.

#2 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hey Cat.....this one is for you !

One of our members here is experienced. Good guy !

Welcome Folsomman I beleive you find this a good site to learn.

Great luck calling in your cat.

#3 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18158 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forum Folsomman.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#4 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Welcome Folsomman.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#5 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7812 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to the site, I think your pretty well on the right track, up here mule deer is one of the cat's main dinner choices, find some good mule area's and you'll probably find cats, don't over call and if using anything for a decoy that moves make sure its far enough away from you so you'll get a chance at seeing it before it see's you, like any cat, movement is really important. Hope this helps.

#6 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Good advice !

#7 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2258 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

Folsomman---check out www.rain-shadow.com
Steve is a PT member and calls lion.

Check out some of my older posts and post by Rainshadow1

Hey OAC---You know how I like to run-at-the-mouth about lions and bobcats, but I'm runn'in late this morning so tuff titty said the kitty.lol. I'll try and catch up on this thread tomorrow. Have a good one guys.

:D
:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#8 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

Ha ha...yes I remember hearing that back in high school...perhaps b4 you were knee high to a grass hopper.

Guess we have to get an update later on.

#9 catcapper

catcapper

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2258 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

Lions and Bobcats are pretty well stupid. When they are seen just sitting around with that plank gaze on their face---thats their brain rewinding.lol. But remember, your hunting a skilled hunter and its their job to see, hear and smell everything around them. The problem I think most lion hunters have, is that when moving into a stand location, they are seen or heard. If I'm after one of the large pussycats, I'll work my way to a calling stand the same as if I'm still hunting Deer. If it takes me an hour to get to my calling spot,I'm still hunting lion along the way. The big cats will spot movement a mile away and they WILL leave.

Before you start calling, get yourself comfortable and mostly concealed because your probaly going to be there for awhile. I've had lions come in within 15 mins to 1 1/2 hrs.

About any rabbit, deer or calf call will bring a lion in, but the trick is to get their attention and hold it. They have the concentration of a dead bird some days. Start calling for 30-45 seconds and wait 10 mins. If nothing shows, I'll call for 5-8 seconds then wait for about 1-1 1/2 and keep calling that way for at least 1 hour or until the critter shows. If you pause too long between calls, some lions will lose interest and wander off.

I never switch up calls---he may be coming and I don't want him to start rewinding.

Scout areas and hunt on lion sign. No sense calling to a lion thats not there. When hunting these big mountain cats in this area, I'll pick 2 or 3 locations that have good and fairly fresh sign and hunt them in the morning and evening all week long or until I make a kill. Lions cover a lot of ground, and he will be back to where you saw his track as long as his food source is there.

"All Wild Things"

#10 catcapper

catcapper

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2258 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

I missed putting the word MINUTE after 1-1 1/2---silly me. "I'll call for 5-8 seconds then wait for about 1-1 1/2 MINUTES"

"All Wild Things"

#11 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

we all understood Cat ...it is an attention thing :frusty:

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18158 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Good advice Cat, thanks.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#13 Folsomman

Folsomman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'll let you know how it works out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users