• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 passthru79

passthru79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Just curious who out there in central illinois is into coyote hunting. I just got into it the last couple of years and really did this year. Always looking for new places to go also.

#2 dnelson

dnelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

hey passthru im in midwest illinois. i just got into yote hunting. u been having any luck this year?

#3 passthru79

passthru79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Yeah I have had pretty good luck hunting the same farm I deer hunt. Between my dad and I we have killed 6 since deer season. Have called in probably another 6 that got away. Only get a chance to go on the weekends with work and my ground is an hour and a half drive from the house. Have you been doing any good?

#4 Fur_Taker_.223

Fur_Taker_.223

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Glad to see the good old boys from Illinois dropping yotes here. New to this site, and I have to say, I love it. I will be here quite often.

#5 mattcler

mattcler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

passthru, I have coyote hunted on and off for a while but really got into it this year year as well. The ground I hunt is just east of Champaign a few miles. Any luck with anything certain? Calls, bait, etc? I have been hearing them and have had a few come in but as soon as I adjust or get ready to shoot, I lose the eyes in the spot light and dont ever see them again. Tips??

#6 Ryno22-250

Ryno22-250

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

passthru, I have coyote hunted on and off for a while but really got into it this year year as well. The ground I hunt is just east of Champaign a few miles. Any luck with anything certain? Calls, bait, etc? I have been hearing them and have had a few come in but as soon as I adjust or get ready to shoot, I lose the eyes in the spot light and dont ever see them again. Tips??

Howdy my nameis Ryan.yea! I hear about twiley nuisance you have been having over thier im just east of hoopeston about 5 miles we have are fair share of them hear been trying to correct that though. I been at it for sometime problay 5 years now. As far as the spot lights go i use 3 million candle light and up give em a little thier and thier not to much though or youll burn thier rentinas out lol..yea i only keep on them when im ready to take the shot...say 250 yards are less. You get one shot on them and if ya miss then you have an educated dog ive learned also they start associating the light with call....witch has me thinking its about time to start investing into some night vision....get ahold of me bro if ya need more info ive learned alot about them over the last 5 years i have no problem sharing my secrets. ..Cause the last thing we need is a bunch of educated yotes running around...Later

#7 Ryno22-250

Ryno22-250

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

Oh my email is rgoody29@gmail.com later!!!

#8 bgfireguy

bgfireguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Ryno Ill take youup on that since we're practically neighbors and what works for you will work for me

"If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." ~ Aristotle

#9 Ryno22-250

Ryno22-250

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

I see cabelas is no longer offering thier predator deception in scent-lok no more bummer:-((

#10 big mac

big mac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

i live in central illinois on the west side

#11 Big D n Jack

Big D n Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Springfield IL checking in!

#12 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Just curious who out there in central illinois is into coyote hunting. I just got into it the last couple of years and really did this year. Always looking for new places to go also.

Check out Pyramid Lakes State Park. Its the largest one in Illinois. Thats where I hunted and actually got one there when I was working at Lively Grove during my off days. Just have plenty of insect repellent, as the ticks were horrendous. Worse I've been in except for one spot in Texas where my legs literally were covered in seed ticks. Just tape your pant cuffs, tuck your shirt and be sensitive to itching around the neck (its them headed up into your hair).
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#13 BondCoCoyote

BondCoCoyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Check out Pyramid Lakes State Park. Its the largest one in Illinois. Thats where I hunted and actually got one there when I was working at Lively Grove during my off days. Just have plenty of insect repellent, as the ticks were horrendous. Worse I've been in except for one spot in Texas where my legs literally were covered in seed ticks. Just tape your pant cuffs, tuck your shirt and be sensitive to itching around the neck (its them headed up into your hair).

You might want to check the hunter fact sheet. From what I read there is no coyote hunting in the park. Don't want anyone getting a ticket.

"THE FOOD CHAIN ENDS HERE!"

#14 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

You might want to check the hunter fact sheet. From what I read there is no coyote hunting in the park. Don't want anyone getting a ticket.

I beat the hunter fact sheet, There are areas you can hunt and I went personally to the area HQ and asked the site rep to go into the regs in the pamphlets and find whether or not it was permitted. He said it is allowed and nothing in the regs dispute it. Go there in person and question as I did, you will find its allowed, but I'm thinking it was in the western areas. Also of note that was in 2010~2011. So unless the regs have since been revised/changed then you can hunt. Remember, rifles are only allowed for coyote in Illinois--as they arent for deer. Also during the gun season for deer you cant use a rifle for yotes during those times. Lastly I know how screwy the gun regs in Illinois are--and I made SURE I was not doing anything illegal. I am now going to pull the regs up online and specifically those pertaining to Pyramid and post--if I can find them.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#15 BondCoCoyote

BondCoCoyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

After I read your post I pulled up the fact sheet and it said no fur bearer hunting but you could trap with a special permit. I didn't mean to imply you were hunting illegal but I guess it did sound that way, sorry. If you can find something on it other than what I did, I would like to read it. I have a buddy that has property across the road from the park and thought it would be a good place to coyote hunt, plus I can hunt his ground too. Its about an hour south from where I live so it wouldn't be too far a drive plus he has a nice cabin to stay in.

How is the hunting in there? I have been in the park several times but never hunted there.

#16 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

After I read your post I pulled up the fact sheet and it said no fur bearer hunting but you could trap with a special permit. I didn't mean to imply you were hunting illegal but I guess it did sound that way, sorry. If you can find something on it other than what I did, I would like to read it. I have a buddy that has property across the road from the park and thought it would be a good place to coyote hunt, plus I can hunt his ground too. Its about an hour south from where I live so it wouldn't be too far a drive plus he has a nice cabin to stay in.

How is the hunting in there? I have been in the park several times but never hunted there.

I stayed to the west and south sides as it was more open terrain vs woods too thick to hunt and that favored a yote eyeing you first etc..The hunting was promising in that I did get one there, but there is always the probability of someone driving nearby and screwing up your set. Which has happened to me more than once. So I'm thinking (never had the chance) the winter when summer activities like fishing (lots of lakes created from the mining lands there) ends and also when there isnt any duck/geese hunting then the results will be more likely to happen. BTW the term fur bearing as it applies to the park implies hunting with traps/snares or the like (my interpretation). Because of the possibility of domestic dogs/pets etc..that do frequent the area. I'm thinking its the way in which you harvest a coyote--ie...shooting vs trapping/snaring. Shooting is acceptable because it is direct and doesnt have the possibility of innocent harm/capture as in more traditional methods employed for larger numbers of harvest. Before I dig a hole I cant crawl out of let me look at the regs--unfortunately I recently threw away all my pyramid maps etc as I knew the likelyhood of me returning were slim to none. And the brochures probably had more info in them than I can find online. But let me try and I will post as soon as I find whichever way it points to. I dont want to give you a false sense of legality when things could have changed since I was there. All in all what I AM SAYING is that I was legal when I hunted there as I made the Park Ranger/attendant commit verbally that rifle hunting for coyotes was legal on pyramid --- however there were arreas where you couldnt because of equestrian activities etc... along those lines. So wait till I can confirm a yes or no, I am going to call them as well and see if I can get a verbal yes or no.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#17 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Okay I looked at probably the same thing you did and it reads like coyote hunting is now not allowed. It wasnt specified when I was there, but was okayed by the site ranger/attendant at the time. However I did place a call and left my number and asked specifically on coyote hunting there. Until they call back we'll just wait and see their interpretation of things. Also there is no waterfowl hunting now, there was in 2010. So things change and it seems ILLinois is getting even more hunter unfriendly.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#18 BondCoCoyote

BondCoCoyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I also will be doing some checking. I am fishing a bass tourny tonight with the guy that owns the ground next to the park and he knows quit a bit about that area. I will see what he knows about it. I also noticed that waterfowl was not allowed. Your right about Illinois, It just keeps getting worse but like I said in other post's if Chicago was not in the state we (down state) would all be better off.

Just curious, what were you doing at Lively Grove?

#19 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I also will be doing some checking. I am fishing a bass tourny tonight with the guy that owns the ground next to the park and he knows quit a bit about that area. I will see what he knows about it. I also noticed that waterfowl was not allowed. Your right about Illinois, It just keeps getting worse but like I said in other post's if Chicago was not in the state we (down state) would all be better off.

Just curious, what were you doing at Lively Grove?

I'm a Union Boilermaker and helped build both units there. Okay just got off the phone with the pyramid park ranger/attendant. He said coyote hunting is allowed and all state hunting regulations pertaining to coyote hunting are in effect. Sometimes its better to hear it from the horses mouth than to try and interpret whats in print. Call for yourself the number is 618 357-2574, and hear for yourself. I had to leave a message but they did return my call.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#20 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

<p><p>

<br />
Thanks for the info. I also will be doing some checking. I am fishing a bass tourny tonight with the guy that owns the ground next to the park and he knows quit a bit about that area. I will see what he knows about it. I also noticed that waterfowl was not allowed. Your right about Illinois, It just keeps getting worse but like I said in other post's if Chicago was not in the state we (down state) would all be better off.<br />
<br />
Just curious, what were you doing at Lively Grove?<br />

&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm a Union Boilermaker and helped build both units there. Okay just got off the phone with the pyramid park ranger/attendant. He said coyote hunting is allowed and all state hunting regulations pertaining to coyote hunting are in effect. Sometimes its better to hear it from the horses mouth than to try and interpret whats in print. Call for yourself the number is 618 357-2574, and hear for yourself. I had to leave a message but they did return my call. I hunted the Northwest side of the &quot;Captain&quot; unit and those outlying areas there about. Heres a link if ity works right, I pinpointed almost exactly where my set was on the hill there. But its hard to get the wind right there but the vantage point and layout of your &quot;shooting&quot; area is pretty good--you do need an ecaller with remote because being elevated with little cover makes it hard to conceal movements etc.. PS and a BIG PS--go online and get some permethrin as the ticks are terrible there as elsewhere around there. Lastly zoom out on the link and get an idea of the approximate location--I cant remember road names but I can navigate all around there in person easy enough. http://www.flasheart...6.1&r=0&src=msl Okay just checked the link it puts you with the crosshairs exactly where I did most of my sets.

try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users