Sponsors

Links

Photo
- - - - -

whats the best scope for hunting under moonlight?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

I live in missouri and we can't hunt with lights but can hunt at night with natural light from the moon. So I was wondering what scopes have the best light gathering abillty that's afforadable.

#2 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2489 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Check out Bushnell Banner Dusk/Dawn in a 3-9 or 4-12x40. They are not top of the line optics but they are capable of gathering more light that your run of the mill economy scopes. I have a 4-12x40 on my .308.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#3 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks a lot I will have to check them out.

#4 Turbo

Turbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

I have a Nikon Coyote Special in 4.5x14 40mm and it gathers a great amount of light at night. I would imagine this would be ideal for what you looking to do, and it's reasonably priced. Check out some of the post in hunting gear and look it up, there is some good info it.

#5 Cliffy

Cliffy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

TRY to buy a scope of 3x or less magnification, because the more it magnifies the less light enters unless one buys a $2000 optic. How FAR do you want to SEE in relative darkness? If fifty yards will suffice, a $300 optic should suffice. I have a 4.5x14-40mm Nikon Buckmaster scope, yet I don't consider it a night-shooter even at $240.

#6 Cliffy

Cliffy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

These low-power scopes are best for close-range shooting, in DARK shooting conditions for night-time barely nothing visibile conditions, nothing is better than some substantial light conditions, but when necessary . . . Prices vary widely as one would expect. Shooting in the dark requires extremely reasonable shooting range. If you've tried, you ALREADY know that. 1x scopes are tops. Cliffy, the afternoon shooter requiring substantial brighness.

#7 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

Thank you the only question I have is does the cotote specal have the circles or do some. Models have. Full cross hairs? and I will have to try to get a low power scope. I use my 243 for both day and night hunting so I want a scope that will go low powre but also high for long shots during day light. Thanks for the help guys

#8 Turbo

Turbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

the Nikon is only a 40mm objective therefore great for both night and day, with no need for a sunshade. It does have the BDC style retical (it has the circles). I have one my Savage Predator 10 .223 that is sighted in at 100yrds and the scope is dead on at 200yrds and 300yrds. I didn't have any problems with keeping tight groups with circle style retical either. It is fully adjustable from 4.5 power to full power at 14, and with the adjustable parlax you can keep the image nice and crisp. it also comes in a 3x9 by 40mm if your interested, but I think you will be better off with the larger scope for predator, deer or whatever hunting your doing. Just my personal opinion.

#9 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Ok thank you that's what I have always wondered about the coyote scope. I'm using my 243 for coyotes only I have a 300 ultra mag for deer. I thouhgt about taking the scope off of it but it cost to much and is to pain fill to sight back in . I have a bushnell 6x18 by 50mm. But I'm gonna look into the coyote scope. Thank you for the help

#10 HD56PAN

HD56PAN

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

Here in NY I use a 22mag with night vision scope

#11 jas41

jas41

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

The best night time scope that i've found is a nikko sterling night eater. there made for night hunting and the are around 200 bucks i have 3 of them now. I have 4-16x44 there like shooting in the daylight.

#12 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

Hey...go cheap. Red dots work great and can be turned down light wise that is. As long as you can see the critter you are good to go.

#13 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

I would have put my money on a 50 mm objective lens with a 30 mm tube so more light will get through.

#14 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

That too work as my .222 mag is set up that way. I still have problems locating the crosshairs though.

#15 RoughNeck

RoughNeck

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

After doing alot of night hunting I have found that if your using a nikon scope make sure it has the nikonplex crosshairs way easier to see and also it helps if you practice shooting at night with a spot light

#16 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Night vision leagal ?

#17 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

No I wish they was legal. In missouri all we are allowed is the natural light which sucks! Lol! But its the law so that's what I got to do, I got a bushnells banner and it seams real good for the price.
Take N It To The Edge Outdoors

www.jctaxidermy.9f.com

#18 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3464 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

I have a Nikon Coyote Special in 4.5x14 40mm and it gathers a great amount of light at night. I would imagine this would be ideal for what you looking to do, and it's reasonably priced. Check out some of the post in hunting gear and look it up, there is some good info it.

Have you tried your coyote special at night without a light? I ask because I have 2 of them and haven't experimented without light yet. I honestly didn't think it would be that great in extreme low light conditions. It's fine for me under a spotlight though. You know we're spoiled and don't have to worry about that pesky "moonlight" here in TX. :)

#19 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1893 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

2 1/2 x 10 x 5o vortex crossfire, crosshair lighted center red dot 11 lite settings-----on sale $159.00 shipped-optic best buy---the best night time scope for the money-my-2 cents---sb

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#20 Furtaker

Furtaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

I would just send the money and get a leupold. I have tried a lot of scopes but the glass in the Leupold is hard to beat. You can go to gunbroker.com and pick up a used Leupold cheap if you watch the items every day. The thing about buying a used Leupold is they have a lifetime warranty and dont ask question. On a good moon lit night it's like it was day light. Save up and send the money, optics at night are one of the most important tools. They come in fast and a lot of times you need to find them in your scope fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users