Sponsors

Links

Photo
- - - - -

Is it legal to hunt predators at night in your state?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 UltimatePredator

UltimatePredator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

This may be impossible to get an answer for all of them, but hopefully you guys can help shed some light for your state. If so then can you hunt predators at night from a vehicle, and does your state allow use of an artificial light? Also, what are the restrictions if any as to firearms, example "rimfire vs. centerfire" for rifles and size of shot for shotguns ect.. Doing a study about night hunting for all 50 states and having difficulty finding solid information for all of them. Thanks Chris

#2 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Hey Chris,

Night hunting is allowed in Missouri. Can't hunt from vehicles though, and no artificial light. No restriction on the type of rifle that can be used.

Hope this helps...

#3 bigden

bigden

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hello
I live in california, but i hunt in nevada! You can not hunt in california at night with a light , but you can in nevada but not from a vehicle!
Hope this helps for more info go to nevada department of wildlife www.ndow.com
bigden

#4 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

Here in Texas, you can hunt predators and varmints of all kind for that matter, at night. You can use any light you want to. Having said that, you would want to contact the local game warden and tell him what you are doing and about where you will be doing it at. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of yahoos down here that road hunt deer with spotlights. TP&W does frown on that. My advice, stay away from the roads, notify the Warden and have permission from the landowner.
ā€œLaws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.ā€
Thomas Jefferson

#5 yotes my r25

yotes my r25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

cant do anythig @ nite here in az
blaz-n-yotes

#6 tjc1230

tjc1230

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hi Chris. Here in New York we can hunt at night , use eletronic calls, use lights, but we can not shoot from any motor vehicle. I hopes this helps , good luck. Tom

#7 klein

klein

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Here in Wisco you can hunt at night, but you can use a flashlight at site of kill-so basically you cannot shine em or hunt em in the headlights.

#8 UltimatePredator

UltimatePredator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Im getting some great first hand info from everyone and I appreciate it. I have info on about 15 states, so hopefuly some of the missing ones will get posted soon. Thanks Chris

#9 Mainiac

Mainiac

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

You can hunt coyotes at night in Maine from mid-December to June 1. You can't hunt anything in Maine from a vehicle. For coyotes you can use artificial lights. To hunt at night requries a regular hunting license and a coyote night hunting permit ($4). No automatics; shotguns from 10 ga. and up are permissable.

#10 Midnightsniper

Midnightsniper

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Yes for Indiana!

#11 Mr Mike

Mr Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Georgia. Night Hunting allowed on private land not Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) Coyotes/Pigs 24/7. Foxes/Bobcat/Alligator in season. Coyotes/Hogs any firearm, Fox/Bobcat 22 rimfire, Shotgun #2 or smaller, Alligator archery/Bowfishing can dispatch at boat side with firearm. No hunting from vehicle and light must be hand held, on helmet/hat battery operated not attached to vehicle.I would check Ga State Game for verification. Good Luck

#12 UltimatePredator

UltimatePredator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

It really seems that there are more states that allow some form of night hunting either regulated or not that I'm pretty suprised. I will post my results if I can manage to get all 50 for you guys. Thanks Chris

#13 deacon

deacon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

In Ohio light of any color continuous or not single white light while moving that is contiuous no hunting from vehicles except boats and farm machinery be used in farming opperations at the time

#14 MMoore83

MMoore83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Chris,
You can hunt in CA if you get a depremation permit from Fish and Game.
Mike

#15 MPSNIPER

MPSNIPER

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

I hunt Maine and New Hampshire. Mainiac is correct for Maine. NH allows night hunting with written landowner permission and it has to be provided to the local game warden as well. You are allowed to use lights and electronic callers, however, nothing can be done from a vehicle. Hope this helps.

#16 Pete Armstrong

Pete Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

Can't hunt at night in Louisiana !

#17 predator_hunter

predator_hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

you can hunt at night in Pennsylvania.You can also use a light.Any firearm no automatic weapons.I don't think there are any restrictions on that.However no hunting from a vehicle.I could't see any state passing hunting from a vehicle maybe for senior citizens but that's about it.

#18 predator_hunter

predator_hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

coyote is also open season all year long if that helps

#19 UltimatePredator

UltimatePredator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Man I guess us Texans got it pretty good when it comes to the Night hunting!!

#20 dogtalker

dogtalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

only on private land with written permission on your person, in Wyoming, for varmints and predators. have a buddie that had his guns confinscated by a game warden on his own lease, so you have to make sure you are up to snuff.
Save A "Goat" shoot a Yote!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users