• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 dirtnap

dirtnap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I went out last saturday on the south plate and tried to call yotes ( to windy on the flat land). started out with woodpecker had no luck so i tried racoon fighting on my fox pro and called one out of a tree 20 yards away from my 8 year old son and I. shoot the coon twice and still lost him, my son thought that was way COOL!!!. I was woundering if i could get any more tips on calling coons thanks.

#2 TBROutdoors

TBROutdoors

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Dirtnap,

Daytime Raccoon Calling is exactly what you described....A BLAST!!!
Check out this YouTube Clip:
YouTube - TBR Outdoors - Daytime Raccoon Calling - Predators: Round 2 DVD "Feel the Rush"

Also, here is a recent press release about some of our newest Raccoon Calling being aired on MOJO Outdoors TV....It airs tonight at 7:00 Central - 6:00 Mountain on Channel 608.

TBR Outdoors is currently in production of an instructional Daytime Raccoon Calling DVD. Some of our current footage will be airing on MOJO Outdoors TV next week. Daytime Raccoon Calling is a fast-paced style of hunting that creates Up-Close, In-Your-Face action that you won’t want to miss. Although we have been chasing raccoons for years now, the addition of the MOJO Critter brings ‘em out of their hole, down the tree and ready to fight!

Please tune in or set your DVRs to record the show.

Here's some information off the MOJO Outdoors Website: MOJO Outdoors TV
Calling Raccoons with TBR Outdoors
The TBR crew has started a new style of "Coon Hunting" with the MOJO Critter and an electronic caller. Most predator hunters have never seen this, but after today I sure would hate to be a coon.

Pursuit Channel --- Direct TV Channel: 608
Show Times:
(MARCH 1) Monday 12:00 AM Eastern / (FEBRUARY 28) Sunday: 11:00 PM Central, 10:00 PM Mountain, 9:00 PM Pacific
(MARCH 2) Tuesday 12:30 PM Eastern / 11:30 AM Central
(MARCH 4) Thursday 8:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Central

For a sneak peak at some of our other footage: Check us out on YouTube – Search “TBR Outdoors” Posted Image
YouTube videos include some hunts from the TBR Outdoors - Predators: Round 1 and Predators: Round 2 DVDs

Feel the Rush,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

#3 joemac

joemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I am going to be trying this come Fall. I am really looking forward to it. Is .22 mag enough gun? I can't believe it would be inadequate. What where you shooting that you shot twice and still did not recover it?

Edit: I just watched the TBR video clip and see in the comments where .17 hmr or .22 mag is recommended. I hope to be using a .17 rem or .17 predator in the future.

Edited by joemac, 11 March 2010 - 12:12 PM.

#4 mjllag

mjllag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

joemac
I have shot over 2,000 coons that were treed by hounds. I always use a .22LR. Just hit them in the head.

#5 herbie57_57

herbie57_57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Mjllag, I've hunted with hounds over 20 yrs now and just got into calling in the last couple years. You need to go up to a .22 mag on calling, these coons are moving fast and will go from hole to hole in the tree. If you hit them and they get back to a hole you just wasted fur that you will never get. You and I both know that if you misplace a shot when you have a hound that a good dog will finish the coon off for you. I use a .17 HMR and my dad uses a .22 mag and the we haven't had a coon get away yet.

It is a blast but its best to have a partner to watch multiple holes. I've called by myself and had 2 coons charge in that came down the backside of the tree. I got them because they came down, but from past exsperience they don't all come down the tree.

#6 TexAgBQ81

TexAgBQ81

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I have, like mjllag, harvested too many coons to count both with 22lr and 22 mag.
In the 22lr I like target lead bullets and the 22mag hollow points. I mostly use the 22lr, but to each his own.
I have not used an e-caller but it should be interesting.
Keep taking your son as long as you can and enjoy it as much as you can, because when he discovers girls it is over, for a while.
Life member NRA, TSRA, GOA

#7 deacon

deacon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Never tried it in the day ,sqaull em out to the hounds at night but it do sound mighty ineresting. dirtnap just to let you know i lost 3 brothers, my son, and countless friends to women but i dont hold it against them,you got to do what you got to do, and i do got to hunt.

#8 clw499

clw499

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'd like to try it, but I don't have an electronic call with any coon sounds? Do you know of any mouth calls that will work and be less expensive?

#9 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

I shot the coon twice and still lost him, my son thought that was way COOL!!!. I was woundering if i could get any more tips on calling coons thanks.

I'd be curious to find out what you hit him with twice that you didn't get him back. From my experience on over game, I believe any magnum rimfire would do the trick as long as it's inside 100 yards on a critter that size.

Also, where in NE Colorado do you live? I moved to the Greeley/NoCo area back in November and am working to try and meet more hunters. Kudos on taking your son out too. My daughter was with me when I ended some prairie dogs last Saturday and got quite a kick out of it.

#10 herbie57_57

herbie57_57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

clw-A coon squaller of any kind could work but would be less effective than an e-caller. You could look at making your own e-caller and downloading sounds off the internet. I grew up just north of Salina and using the coon puppies series tapes from dennis kirk is lethal on coons in that area. If you can find an area that hasn't been over called you can really clean up and with a decent fur market you can pay for a calling system in a season. Its worth the investment.

#11 marcwa

marcwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

From what I have learned you need to locate a den and set up as close as you can without being busted. An ecaller is the best and I also know some guys who use a mojo decoy and they say it works wonders. They told me they aren't like yotes and cats you can't call them in from long distances.

#12 jas41

jas41

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Last saturday we went out and called in our first coon during the day. It was a blast she was a old and very large one that was pissed when she came in. It was so funny to see when there all hunched up and mad, then they realize that something is wrong when the decoy isn't going anywhere but around.

#13 jas41

jas41

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

This saturday i shot my first coon called in during the day. Another female and a big one too. Not as big as the other one that we got last weekend but still big and fun to get. Used #4 lead shot 1 1/4 oz shot

#14 gonefishn

gonefishn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Did the boys at TBR finish making a Coon Calling DVD?

#15 herbie57_57

herbie57_57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

jas, I had one jump on the speaker of the calling system, talk about an adrenaline rush

#16 houndhntr07

houndhntr07

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Does any one ever have any luck calling them out of rock dens(crevises in limestone walls)? I know there are coon there. Seems extremely hit or miss to me dont understand why. If I am at a active den tree and it is alot better odds that something is going to happen. The rock dens are more active than most of the den trees.

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18080 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

I am not a coon hunter, but welcome to the forum houndhntr07.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#18 lucas_shane

lucas_shane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

If there is a coon with a 100 yrds it will come in to the "fighting coons" . lol.....its a blast !

#19 gonefishn

gonefishn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

"TBR Outdoors is currently in production of an instructional Daytime Raccoon Calling DVD."

Hurry up and release this already! I cant wait! :usflag:

#20 exopo

exopo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

do they make any mouth calls for them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users