• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zorconjef

zorconjef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Does anyone hunt out of treestands when predator hunting? Are there any advantages to being high off the ground or is it just too much work?

#2 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2491 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

zorconjef,
I don't hunt from tree stands because where I live there are no trees big enough to hang a stand. I do however, hunt from deer blinds we have built. It depends on the terrain and ground cover on whether or not you need elevation. Here the terrain is basically flat with a few draws and creekbeds. I hunt over plowed fields from an atv or ground blind. When the ground cover, like CRP, is mature and tall, I usually set up in one of my deer blinds. That gives me about 8' of elevation and really allows me a great field of view.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#3 Mainiac

Mainiac

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

zorconjef,
I like to keep all the options open. Usually hunt from the ground, but on one particular occasion where we called and had howls & barks but "no show" we backed out and went back a few days later w/climbers. Got up in the air, called in two and got one. Hunting in Maine, it's sometimes advantageous to get up in a tree to increase visibility. To each his own...

#4 zorconjef

zorconjef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

I went out Saturday morning 6AM to 1:30PM. Three to 4 feet of snow on the ground. I only sank 20 inches with snowshoes, once removed sank another 2 feet. A perfect ground blind. One came in up wind, didn't expect it, either got my scent, movement, one bark and it was gone in a flash. Going to try this evening(full moon) in another area where the snow is about 1 foot deep.

#5 mjllag

mjllag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I like to cover to much ground when coyote hunting to use a tree stand, but I have shot coyotes from my tree stand while deer hunting.

#6 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3464 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

I think Brian Downs over at the Predator Hunting Talkcast hangs treestands over his bait stations. If you reach out to him, I bet he could give you his take on it. Here is his profile:

View Profile: Brian Downs - PredatorTalk.com - Predator Hunting Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles.

And his site...

http://www.predatortalkcast.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users