• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jsoulier

jsoulier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I am going to be living in North Texas for a few months in the future due to some short military orders. My question is directed to anyone who has hunted there, or knows a good deal about it. I'll be living in Wichita Falls (gulp!) and want to get some good information on where/when/how to hunt.

Also, what predators are most prevalent there? I can't find much of any hunting information on the area besides hogs. I am used to national forests and public lands to hunt on where I live (WA) but there aren't any National Forests in Texas. Are ranchers open to the idea of hunters down in that part of the country?

Again, anyone with any input is more than welcome to advise me. Thanks to you all.

#2 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3464 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

When I think North TX, I think Chris Robinson and the boys at UltimatePredator and all of those cats they bag. I bet they stay pretty busy filming, but it might be worth it to reach out to them anyway, just to find out what's going on up there.

Here is a link to Chris' profile. Send him a message: View Profile: UltimatePredator - PredatorTalk.com - Predator Hunting Forums, Blogs, Hunting Logs and Articles.

#3 UltimatePredator

UltimatePredator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Best advice I can give you is stay as far away from public hunting grounds thats within a hours drive of the metroplex. We have made numerous stands and left empty handed calling country that has been pressered quite a bit from other hunters. Spend some time getting to know a few landowners and take care of them and build from there. For this area, private land is the only way to go for someone who calls on a regular basis. Some public hunting country in other parts of the state and even other states can be killer, but the first place every coyote hunter will go that doesnt have places to hunt is usually public. The biggest difference in here and the public grounds in other states is here there is 100 guys calling 10,000 acres as aposed to 100 guys calling over sometimes well over 1 million acres. As for us, we dedicate alot of our time focusing on finding new privately owned land and have been much more successful.

#4 jsoulier

jsoulier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Thank you very much guys. That gives me quite a bit more to work with than before. I really appreciate the expertise, and there is good stuff from Ultimate Predator. I look forward to my time there, because of the predator hunting mostly, and now I have something to build that excitement upon as I get ready to go. Thanks again!

#5 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

jsoulier I havent hunted that area but about 70 miles north and east of there. You wont be far from red river and there is some awesome hunting along it. Like U P said get to know the land owners and work your way in from there. In Oklahoma the old farmers and ranchers usually hit the coffee shops early mornings and shoot the bull, that might be a good place to meet some but then again mabye not that is a bigger town to than where I go. There is cats ,grey fox yotes and badgers where I hunt so there is a good chance they would be around Wichita Falls. Not that it matters but thats where I was born. I only been there in my youger years hitting some of the topless clubs. Good Luck

#6 Bowhunter_Aj

Bowhunter_Aj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#7 Dust

Dust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Nothing wrong with Wichita Falls.  I know there are a few people in the area that hunt toward the Red River.

#8 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I find when I talk to farmers and ranchers I have much higher percentages give me permission if I tell them I am calling coyotes.  For some reason many are protective if you ask to hunt cats and fox.  After I get on a place I hunt predators as I hardly ever see the owner and if I do I talk about how many coyotes I got rid of until they are used to me and appreciate what I am doing for them.  If the fur is not worth much or blown up I hang the coyotes on a fence by a ranch road to let them know I was successful. Give them a card with your name and number on it even if you don't get permission.  I have gotten calls requesting I come hunting after someone at the cafe talked about the coyotes I left hanging on the fence.  JMHO  ET

Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users