• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eshunter86

eshunter86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

anyone have any information on trappin coyotes and bobcats.
Sempri Fi

"However impractical it may be, sometimes it is necessary to kill a fly with a bazooka. Just to prove a point."

#2 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2093 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hey 86--I have 40 yrs of info on trapping coyotes & cats--whats the question

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#3 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3464 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

Would love to learn about trapping too. Seems to be an art form in and of itself. Lots of respect for you trappers out there.

#4 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:41 AM

I would recommend you watch this DVD. You can sometimes get it for a deal on ebay. It is very good in showing the equipment and how to bed and set your sets.
<LI class=product_info>Matt Jones: Hardcore Cat & Coyote Trapping DVD

Veteran longline trappers, Matt Jones and Len Williams, team up to reveal the “Secrets of the Eastern Longline.” Learn the methods these trappers use to take truck loads of bobcats, coyotes, and red and gray foxes. This is an advanced-type video focusing on fast effective sets with great emphasis on location and location setup. They not only show locations but show them with the predator standing there. North, South, East, or West: This video is sure to help the full time longliner as well as the trapper with limited time to increase their catch.
Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

#5 mjllag

mjllag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

I love trapping-espicially coyotes. It is always interesting. The best advice I can give is to find an experienced trapper and tag along with them. Read all you can about trapping, or watch videos. Find a landowner who will allow trapping, and avoid catching dogs.

#6 BarelyTame

BarelyTame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

I was interested in trapping and tagged along with a guy that had a couple years experience. Twice we approached traps with domestic dogs caught in them. Just how does a person avoid trapping them?

#7 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

I you trap close to houses sooner or later you will catch a dog. If you run your traps daily it is not a problem, just turn it loose. If it is a remote area it is probably a feral dog and should be dealt with as such. JMHO
Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

#8 mjllag

mjllag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

I have never caught a dog in a three hole dirt set. I call this my dog proof set. This set is three dirt holes in a line about 2 feet apart. I put the lure in the first hole, nothing in the next two holes. I bed the trap in front of the third hole. The trapper that showed me this said that dogs will only check the hole with the bait and the second hole, coyotes will check all three. I am not sure why - maybe coyotes are more curious. If you use snares use a relaxing lock so dogs can be released.

#9 Jason R. Bruce

Jason R. Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Trapping is a great hobby to take up and I believe its an important heritage for us to keep alive as sportsmen. The best way to learn about safe, responsible and effective trapping is to enroll yourself in a trappers education course with a local (or national) trapping association. We're fortunate to have numerous educational opportunities for young & aspiring trappers in the Midwest, but I'm not sure how hard they are to find on the East Coast.

Non-Target catches (IE: Domestic Dogs) are not entirely avoidable but some simple techniques and practices can GREATLY reduce the likelyhood of snagging something you didn't intend too. Whether you're using foot-hold traps or snares, domestic canine's are generally very easy to release unharmed. I wouldn't let the fear of grabbing a non-target animal keep me from taking up the sport of trapping!

In my region we don't have many large sprawling fields but when you find one you'll notice coyotes are some of the only critters that working those fields over. Sets made a good distance from treelines and woodlots will often prevent non-target catches like possums, coon and domestic animals of all kinds. With some experience in trapping, calling and scouting coyotes... you'll learn that there are three fundamental keys to catching coyotes. Location, Location, Location. Of course there are a variety of stratagies for selecting equipment, bedding traps, placing lure and blending sets... but location is king.

Here are some pictures just for kicks-
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Foxpro

Foxpro

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

The best advice I can give is to find an experienced trapper and tag along with them.

Exactly, no better advice than to learn from those who know the local animals and habits!

#11 livetotrap

livetotrap

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:42 AM

For the best beginner information I know check out Traps4kids.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users