• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jsoulier

jsoulier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

This is like opening up a can of worms, I know, but everybody likes a gun discussion. What do you all think it is? I shoot a Mini-14 181 series and I am addicted to all the variations there are for it (not as many as the AR); and I pack a custom .22-250 camo-dipped, and a long barrel with a smooth Mauser action. I like the Mini-14 for just about any kind of calling or hunting smaller game. The '250 is unbeatable when it comes to long range shots. Does anybody have great things to say about the lighter rounds of the .243? I haven't had the pleasure to try their varmint rounds yet.

#2 Teamroper

Teamroper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

I love the .243. Since I also use it for deer hunting I use 100 gr. bullets and haven't had a coyote take one step if hit. I plan on doing some fine tuning this spring to see how it does at the range at 200 yds. If I ever get another gun I MAY drop down on bullet weight, but for right now it is my main weapon of choice.
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards!

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy my horse hates it. -Teamroper

#3 Centex

Centex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

My whitetail hunting weapon last season is one of my Bushmaster lowers with an Olympic Arms 24" heavy barrel in .243WSSM shooting Winchester 95gr Ballistic Silvertips. It was a successful season, so I am having my gunsmith construct a new upper for varminting in Ruger .204 with most of the bells and whistles. I can hardly wait to try it out! I have used with success in my Ruger Frontier .243 the Cor-Bon round loaded with the 62 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade. That has been a very effective combination on coyotes. It sure is fun to experiment with different calibers and all the new bullets that are hitting the market.

Centex

#4 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

AR-15 in 223. Built by me via parts. I haven't seen an auto-loader off the shelf that is worth $1500.00+ that you can't buy the parts and make a better gun. You don't need all the "lead jockey" stuff on a predator weapon. No laser, tacticle lamps, toliet paper holder, etc,,, required.

#5 gonzmg

gonzmg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

My favorite two guns for predator hunting are my Savage 10 predator hunter .223 and my Browning BPS 12 gauge.
Mike

#6 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2087 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:45 AM

Ruger 77 .243 sending 55gr ballistic tips down range. My main predator hunting weapon is Sabre Defence AR 15 M4 5.56 w/1in7 twist

toliet paper---thats funny but it would'nt surprize me

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#7 PredatorFreak

PredatorFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Olympic arms AR chambered for 243 WSSM with 58 gr. V-Max it does the job if your not hunting for pelts. 70 gr. Noslers are nicer to the pelts and work good for antelope and deer as well. I run the 58 grainers at just over 4000 fps that could be the reason for some of the damage.

#8 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

What is the barrel life with that speed of bullet?

#9 headhunter25

headhunter25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:34 AM

I run a Sabre Defense 18 inch 1/8 twist midlength in 5.56mm. PRI carbon fiber free float tube, Magpul UBR stock, Horner Comp and JP trigger. I have been using a Burris XTR 1x4 with a Larue SPR-E mount but looking to get a Horus with a H25 reticle. Those dogs look pretty small at 300 or so yards with a 4x.

Chris C.
Tactical Adventure Gear
www.tacticaladventuregear.com

#10 PredatorFreak

PredatorFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Knapper, My barrel is chrome lined so I will last a long time I don't shoot those light bullets too often usually I shoot 70 gr noslers and those run about 3400 fps. If it wasn't chrome lined it would probably only last about 2500-3500 shoots at 4000 fps.

#11 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

My match rifle is 1/8 twist and I shoot the 80gr. matchking bullets very well, in a 20" barrel, very accurately. My working AR is a 1/9 twist and likes the lighter bullets better, I have some American Eagle which has been loaded to ss 109 milspec which shoots pretty good for buying the stuff off the shelf, I mostly reload and this rifle likes the bulk Remingtion 62 gr. hollow point match, they shoot quite well for cheep stuff.

#12 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3464 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

I really can't see how you could go wrong with anything in .223. I've got a Remington R-15, and a Thompson Center Icon Precision Hunter - both in .223. Love em both.

#13 dtech

dtech

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Knapper, My barrel is chrome lined so I will last a long time I don't shoot those light bullets too often usually I shoot 70 gr noslers and those run about 3400 fps. If it wasn't chrome lined it would probably only last about 2500-3500 shoots at 4000 fps.

That's interesting. Olympic Arms has never made a chrome-lined barrel. Not in the WSSM line, not in any line. Did you find someone to do just one custom barrel in chrome-lining, or are you confusing chrome-moly with chrome-lining?<O:p</O:p

Edited by dtech, 28 February 2010 - 11:03 AM.
spelling!

#14 bayloryote

bayloryote

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Savage model 11 in a 22-250 makes a great rifle. Stops em in their tracks. The accu trigger system is awesome.

#15 PredatorFreak

PredatorFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

dtech, my 243 has a custom barrel sorry about the confusion. I had a 243 wssm before in a winchester and the barrel was not chrome lined. after about 2500 shots it wouldn't hold real good groups. So i contacted winchester and they said I probably shot the barrel out. I was shooting 58 gr. V-Max bullets and running them pretty hot. So when I got the new one from Olympic arms I also got a custom Chrome lined barrel.

#16 dtech

dtech

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

So when I got the new one from Olympic arms I also got a custom Chrome lined barrel.

Wow! Been building the WSSM uppers ever since Winchester put them on the market. Never heard of anyone producing a custom, chrome-lined barrel for the AR upper. Post a link for us so we can check these guys out......

#17 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

I just started using a .220 Swift. It is a Mauser(may be spelled wrong). Traded for it and have only shot targets with it. Any opinion on this round?

#18 yotes my r25

yotes my r25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:30 AM

i am happy with my r 25 308 its kinda heavy though but its a very good rifle have not got to shoot a coyote with it yet but got a lot of ground squirrels with it at 50 to 90 yards they are only about 6 inchs tall standing so not to bad cat wait to cut down a yote

#19 Mr Mike

Mr Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

25-06 LOVE THIS CARTRIDGE Interarms Mark X Mauser action bolt gun 4x12 with shooting sticks, Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine .223 and Mossberg 535 12ga #4 Buck and #BB loads for Yotes... Glenfield/Marlin Model #25 22LR and shotgun #2 shot for fox/bobcat

#20 passthru79

passthru79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I shoot a browning varmint stalker 223wssm with a chrome lined barrel at the moment. Really looking at geting a RRA predator pursuit sometime in the near future. I have heard of barrel problems with the super short mags on the first batch of guns offered by browning and winchester. They started the chrome lining to give better barrel life, but cant say Ive seen them on an AR yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users