23 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

Got a call from Michigan Flyways retriever club to bust some ducks for its hunt test this Saturday.  Pal, Joe, is going along, too.  More pressure this time, because the club is paying much more for ducks and they don't want 'em to gain their freedom at the club's expense.  Our job is to make sure that doesn't happen.

We've got a good record and only let one fly away last time, because it flew toward the gallery. 

This time, both Joe and I have added red dot sights to our autoloaders and neither of us has done much in the way of practice.  I've taken a few crows on the wing and really like the  EOTech on the Browning Silver, but I haven't been tested much.

Shooting ducks in front of the dogs reminds me of woodcock hunting in that they seem to come to a halt in mid-air, before hitting the afterburners.  That's the time to pluck 'em from the sky and the same with these ducks.

Just wanna keep that record clean.  It all comes down to execution - so to speak.

Attached Files

#2 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Go get em glen

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#3 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Heck yeah, Pokey.  Shoot their ammo and get a free lunch.  We're shooting for Master B class dogs, so they should know what they're doing out there.  Lots of fun to have a ring-side seat to all the action. 

#4 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Sounds like a great time, good luck and have a blast.

#5 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Joe and I finished the shoot for the Michigan Flyways and I'm happy to say that the only ducks to get reprieves were the ones left in the cage.  Fairly windy conditions made for more than one shot per shooter, which meant a few ducks did not die in the same spot as the others.  That doesn't seem fair to some of the dog handlers/owners at times.

Here's how the test for the Master class went.  By the way, Master is the highest designation for the dogs, after Senior, and Junior.

There were a total of 4 stations the dogs had to watch:  #1 had a dead duck, launched it with the sound of a shotgun blank, and the handler/owner makes sure the dog "marks" the bird, then on to #2 that's us, the only station with live ducks, and we are about 100 yards from where the dogs start.  We signal we're going to launch a duck by using a duck call, then the duck is launched and we shoot it.  Dog marks it. Then onto #3 another dead duck launch and shot and the dog marks it, and while the dog is bringing back the third bird #4 station sends a guy out in the field to plant a dead duck without the dog ever seeing it, but there was a corresponding shot, as the dog was bringing in the third bird.  That blind retrieve is up to a slick dog and/or handler.

And, when the dog completes all the tasks (including one water retrieve on the first blind), it must stand in "honor" of the next dog called into action, when the sequence begins anew.  Some dogs can't just sit there and watch and are penalized. 

The very best dogs mark every bird and remember where each is, but if a dog gets twisted off course the handler/owner is allowed a sequence of signals with the whistle and other communications. 

Some dogs totally screw up and are pulled from the competition. 

Pic #1 - That's us heading in.

Pic #2 - I believe that's my neighbor's dog

Pic #3 - Random retrieve

Pic #4 - Looking back to where the dogs start taken from our blind

Pic #5 - That's Joe relaxing before the action begins.  The duck slinger is in the foreground.

Attached Files

#6 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the update and sharing.

#7 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

That's cool thanks for bringing us along one thing I've never done is duck hunted

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Good story Glen, and nice shooting. It's not as easy as some think with all those eyes on you. I've not duck hunted in years(since leaving Ohio) but I was involved in hunt tests (pointing dogs) here in AZ and was an official gun and a few other hunt tests. My male Weimaraner at the time was already a show champion thanks to my ex. Once I took him afield he wanted nothing to do with the show ring, he was a smart dog. He was a gentle hunting fool, but wasn't about to give up the fun of pointing and retrieving to another dog. I never could get him to honor.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#9 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

We had one of the dog owner's in our blind and when his dog came to the line, I watched the owner as much as his dog.  When his dog finished, it was placed in the "honor" position next to the next competitor and was barking its head off wanting to do it some more. 

I could feel the owner's pain, as his $10,000 investment became just another pretty face.

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

I can't believe that people pay that kind of money to buy and train a dog and feel sorry for the guy who now has the pet he never wanted. I've seen a lot of it mostly with show dogs that are spayed or neutered and sent to another home (where they are probably better off) I guess if you have the change and that is how you choose to spend it it's up to you. As long as you aren't asking me for it.

I've never bought a dog thinking to make it a show or field champion, they have always been my companion first and foremost. If they develop into more, good, if not that's okay too.

As you all might gather I am rather fond of the Weimaraner breed and dogs in general.

Tree Branch Calls

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#11 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

My neighbor has 3 competing dogs:  Two are golden retrievers and were at the competition, and one which is a Siberian husky that competes in agility trials.

If you think the cost of one of the dogs and training is steep, consider having 3 of them!  On top of that, he's having a pond excavated so they have a place to fetch over water.  This pond has become more like a lake, as he keeps digging.  The original price tag was $78,000 to move the dirt, but it needed to be deeper, so he hired a second contractor.  And, now a third contractor, that's been digging for over a year! 

At least I have a place to get free sand, because it looks like a huge volcano and the sand needs to be hauled away.  They've already contacted me about moving some trees for them in the fall to landscape the hills.  Already moved a few for them with my tree spade.

He's a good man and loves his "kids" - that's what he calls them.  Nothing's too good for them.  One of his prize dogs, Cutter, has passed the Master hunt test over 20 times already.  These folks and dogs live for the stuff. 

I'll try to get a photo or 2 of the pond project.  In fact, he's dug 2 ponds - one closer to his house and on the same side of the road.  Also, he had to purchase the extra land across the road to dig the ponds, so we can toss that into the overall cost.

He stopped by my place Sunday evening after the event and congratulated us on the shooting and said we will be welcomed back.  He then handed me a couple of gift certificates from the Michigan Flyways as a bonus.  (He and his wife are involved in the management of the club.)

Guess I can think of other ways to make money disappear, but I doubt if they can.   When one considers how many of them were at the event, it is ​big dough.  One after the other, they came with their rigs from across the Midwest, each sporting their own brands.  In the Master class alone, we had 2 tests going on simultaneously with a total of 70 dogs (we shot for 35 of them.)  Then there are the lower classes with less experienced dogs - all playing along.

#12 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Wow that's quite the story, we don't need the sand or the tree's, have plenty of water But will take any extra cash.

#13 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

I got hooked on the hunt test thing and field trials 30 years ago. Back when all hunt test were run by just the AKC and they were brand new. That led to me being a pro dog trainer. Much better when clients pay for the training, handling and travel to the events.  Then I got smart an realized every weekend was going to the dogs! 

Glen why do they use bird throwers these days?  We used to hand launch ducks, pheasants and pigeons. I remember one AKC test I was throwing and shooting all alone. 72 ducks were thrown by hand and shot,  not one missed.  Ahhhh the good ol' days when I was young and had an arm. 

Did not mean to distract from your lime light...just brought back memories. 

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH> Every coyote caller understands coyotes have their own language,  but less than 0.01% can speak yote effectively. 

#14 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

You can hide a mechanical thrower easier than a person

Tree Branch Calls

#15 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

You can hide a mechanical thrower easier than a person

I respectfully disagree with that one Don. When running from the line if the judges have the test setup correctly you'll never see the gunner(s).  I say this from being a judge, running thousands of test and shooting thousands of birds. 

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH> Every coyote caller understands coyotes have their own language,  but less than 0.01% can speak yote effectively. 

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

I guess it's not any different than the people that show dogs, their goal is to make their dogs "best in show" enough to garner high dollars for their progeny. They spend thousands of dollars a year traveling the country going to shows. Many of them have motorhomes that they "customize" by removing  almost all the interior so they can stack dog crates to the ceiling. Many of them treat their dogs like an investment, few see much if any return on that investment.

I enjoyed the camaraderie of the hunt tests and field trials but the dog show thing was my ex-wifes thing. I liked to watch the dogs move through the paces in the ring, but all the standing around(not to mention politics) involved was enough to cause me to go slightly off center. Some say temporarily, some say otherwise.

Your neighbor sounds like a very rich, in many ways, individual.

Tree Branch Calls

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I respectfully disagree with that one Don. When running from the line if the judges have the test setup correctly you'll never see the gunner(s).  I say this from being a judge, running thousands of test and shooting thousands of birds.

That hasn't been my experience Larry

Tree Branch Calls

#18 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

I don't know exactly why the launchers are used, but everything we did had to be according to the AKC rules.  I have always had a superior throwing arm, but there's no way I could have ever launched those birds as far as the launcher.  Plus, my guess is they are looking for consistency more than anything else.

Some pics of the "pond" have been included.  You can see how much more dirt must be moved.  My lens is not wide enough to capture the entire body of water in one shot.

Attached Files

#19 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

What an undertaking,

My aunt in Ohio had a "pond" dug it was just about 2 surface acres and 30 feet deep she sloped  the dirt at one end and made a sledding hill, once you hit the ice it felt like you accelerated. They played hell at the end keeping the ground water pumped out until they finished

Tree Branch Calls

#20 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Don...I am sure times have changed. I see Glen posted a Master test B.  That is something I have never been exposed too. Also I have to admit I have never even seen a bird launcher to be honest. So maybe I misjudged.

As for show dogs I have a good tale. I bred My Master Hunter /Qualifier  Ms Molly Brown III to 3 time national Open Champ Aces High Three back in 1990.  This was a hot pairing and at the time an expensive litter and I am not talking pup fees. I am talking airline dog tickets, vet bills and stud fees!

Anyway after the litter was 5 weeks old the one pup had not been sold yet.  Sitting in a booth at a local restaurant getting ready to help at a near by club event, a show person I despised came up to me and asked. " Hey Larry, hows the conformation on your litter?  I may be interested the last $700.00 pup"

Being a person that admired good hunting dogs and didn't care for this show person that cringed every time he touched a dead duck at a club test,   I pondered his question. In no hurry to answer I picked up my coffee cup, took a sip and a few long seconds later said " You know the conformation is excellent on the litter" Then I took a  long drink as he said anxiously "Tell me more? ...I really admire the looks of Molly"

I sat the coffee cup down, laid back my cowboy hat, looked him straight in the right eye and said " they are exactly like Molly and Aces High... the pups are perfect! I saw his eyes open and then I finished my statement. 

" They all have four legs, a tail, two eyes, two ears, a nose,  and not one is bald. "  I think he figured out then I didn't like him as I heard him grunt something like I was a donkey and he left the restaurant. 

Glen...thank you for the post. Brought back memories.  Also great shooting, must be very hard shooting a super sonic duck coming out of enlarged sling shot! I can hear two bangs one from the bird breaking the sound barrier and the second Glens mighty 12! Then a thump as it hits the ground. Again job well done. 

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users