​the working man's game call

#23 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Here's what I'm running I don't have a crono but here's the data if you try this work up this power burns cleaner than varget and loads great as it's a fine cut powerAttached File  IMG_0224.JPG   127.22KB   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0225.PNG   86.31KB   6 downloads

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

#24 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

My r-15 has a18" barrel on it I'm thinking I have to be at 3400 or better with this load so to recap push them harder

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

#25 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

A 52 gr Amax will if not not loaded overly hot . I load my 22-250 {3500 fps} with them and at 100 yds I rarely get a pass thru , if it is is just a tiny fragment .

C2C, what reloading manual are you using, Hornady? I have a box of 52 gr. A-MAX... I was thinking about loading some 36 gr. varnmint grenades for the 22-250 Rem. Have you tested any varnmint grenades on coyote?
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#26 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I have a hornady manual but my load .. 38 gr H380 isnt listed .. I have used Win 760 with similar results . It was 3500 fps over my chrony. Never used the grenades .. .

#27 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

I've not used the 224 grenades but did try the 20 caliber grenades. I tried and tried different powders and oal's and after all the messing around never got a decent group. When I pushed them fast( per the Barnes manual) they would sometimes keyhole.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#28 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

I have a hornady manual but my load .. 38 gr H380 isnt listed .. I have used Win 760 with similar results . It was 3500 fps over my chrony. Never used the grenades .. .

ok... I see the manual has load data for the 55 and 60 gr. bullets using H380. I've used H380 with a 55 gr. V- MAX, and WIN 748 with a 53 gr. V-MAX, they work...but they are a little bit messy.
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#29 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

You will love the Amax if you are fur hunting..however just like other bullets try and stay off the shoulder. Makes a bad splash . Don I had 55 gr GMX tumble on me until I seated them deep and made them jump to the lands

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#30 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

You will love the Amax if you are fur hunting..however just like other bullets try and stay off the shoulder. Makes a bad splash . Don I had 55 gr GMX tumble on me until I seated them deep and made them jump to the lands

Thanx C2C

Benjamin Franklin

#31 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

Don I had 55 gr GMX tumble on me until I seated them deep and made them jump to the lands

GMX or grenade ?

Tree Branch Calls

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#32 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

GMX

#33 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:39 PM

I don't recall off hand what length (s) I tried. My usual process is to load to book length except in that particular gun (Ruger #1) where I start at .010 off the lands and move closer with a promising load. Perhaps I should have tried a shorter OAL but quite honestly the reported results on coyotes wasn't very good either. Berger 35gr or Sierra 39gr both give awesome results both on paper and fur. The 35's are so explosive I once shot a coyote running  flat out about 225yds out in the rear hip and killed him DRT, not so much as a tail wag. He had been shot at two or three times by my partner.

Tree Branch Calls

#34 TACC

TACC

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

Has anyone tried the "controlled chaos" rounds from underwood ammo

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

#35 UThowler

UThowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

UThowler, it is a 1-7 twist. You would think it would like heavier stuff but 75 grain opened up to about 3" group. The 50 and 55 shot about .75" made no sense to me?

Sorry it took me a minute to respond. Mine hates the lighter bullets and is also a 1:7, such as 55s and lower which is odd yours is completely opposite?. Must just be different barrels cause nothing shoots perfectly the same. I Shot a box of hornady match 75grains and i was actually able to zero it in but the 55gr. Pmc rounds are pretty cheap so the bad accuracy wasnt a surprise. On mine the 75s made a nice 1/4" pattern at 50yrds but i zeroed it there because thats what vortex reccomends for the strike eagle and so far at longer diatances it hits pop cans beer bottles etc. Which is good enough for me. Any long range stuff and ive got a 270 with my own loads that moves 130gr. 3200 fps and is good to 700 yards.
"You can't do epic s*** with basic people"

#36 UThowler

UThowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Sorry it took me a minute to respond. Mine hates the lighter bullets and is also a 1:7, such as 55s and lower which is odd yours is completely opposite?. Must just be different barrels cause nothing shoots perfectly the same. I Shot a box of hornady match 75grains and i was actually able to zero it in but the 55gr. Pmc rounds are pretty cheap so the bad accuracy wasnt a surprise. On mine the 75s made a nice 1/4" pattern at 50yrds but i zeroed it there because thats what vortex reccomends for the strike eagle and so far at longer diatances it hits pop cans beer bottles etc. Which is good enough for me. Any long range stuff and ive got a 270 with my own loads that moves 130gr. 3200 fps and is good to 700 yards.

Problem with my .270 us it really likes to blow holes in stuff 😂

Attached Files

#37 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

Problem with my .270 us it really likes to blow holes in stuff

Thats not a hole , it's a crater ! The fact that it hit shoulder blade certainly didnt help .

#38 UThowler

UThowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

Thats not a hole , it's a crater ! The fact that it hit shoulder blade certainly didnt help .

Yeah it was crazy when i hit i was free handing it and the recoil through me off so i could see if it went down and i walked around like 20-30-40-50 yard circles away from where i shot and i though i missed but it was 10 feet away from where i shot (she blended well) and and when i saw the hole i figured theres no way she was going to move that far by herself so i think that shoulder absorbed every foot pound of energy and took that dog for a littlw ride

#39 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Hahaha appears so ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users