• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ok this was a old post on coyote hunting I found that the guy said a trapper showed him in the 40 to get a trap shy coyote
Take a berlap bag fulled with chicken gust hang about 3 or 4 feet above the ground and lay about a hundred yards away to pick them off as they come in my question would be would you leave it overnight or would you have a good chance of getting one the same day

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

If you have nothing better to do all day you could try it. I highly doubt you will see a coyote. Chances are the wind will change directions many times during the day spreading your sent all over the place, and you will never see one. I suggest you search the site and read all you can about coyote hunting. That is if you want to learn how to call in a coyote within a few minutes.

Hand calls or an e-caller is the way to go, and there is some great custom call makers right here on predator talk.
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#3 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Oh I know that the main way I have been trying to learn but calling is getting to the point were a lot of people are trying it and a lot are getting call shy and I thought biating might be a way to get some of the call shy ones

#4 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

If you use a different sound/calling cadence than the other guys he will come to the call

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#5 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Did not think about that

#6 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

If you use a different sound/calling cadence than the other guys he will come to the call

pokeyjeeper, can you post some pictures of your calls, I don't think I've ever seen your calls.
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#7 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Oh I know that the main way I have been trying to learn but calling is getting to the point were a lot of people are trying it and a lot are getting call shy and I thought biating might be a way to get some of the call shy ones

I've been hunting for many years and I have never seen a coyote feeding on a bait pile. Now if you live on a farm and have a spot where you dump dead livestock you might see one feeding.

Call shy ah... Are you talking about hunting educated coyotes? Ones that have been called in and shot at. That's gonna take some time to figure out (post #4 ). Focus on the uneducated ones...

And what pokeyjeeper said... ^

Benjamin Franklin

#8 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yeah that's what I was talking about been called in and shot at

#9 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Yeah the ones that been shot at

#10 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

Well pokeyjeeper just told you how. Let me look for some threads about hunting educated coyotes so you can read them.

Benjamin Franklin

#11 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

Ok thanks this is just my second year hunting them so I am still learning

#12 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Ok Kentucky... I bumped up the thread so you can easily find it. It's just one of many you should read...

How to call Coyotes !!!! Tell your stories here. by prairiewolf

Benjamin Franklin

#13 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Best advice I can give you is to read through the old post on here lots of great information and the Thread az bumped up is a great one also keep a log book on your calling sets write down all the info you can if you are calling in the same area wind direction speed weather cloudy sunny rain snow calls used or sounds on e-caller where you set up coyotes called in how they came in time of day all this info will help you piece things together be smart if he is educated don't give him more be a predator use everything to your advantage if the wind is not right don't call it you can't beat his nose hope this helps

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#14 Kyboy

Kyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks guys I have been reading everything I can find

#15 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

I have shot many coyotes off bait and carcasses and trapped 3 times more then shot.  They come and go all day long.

Never used a burlap bag just put the chunks in a pile. Most guys fail because they don;t let the yotes get used to the pile. If you have small amount of bait, I would leave it go for a week then return, replenish and hunt it just about dusk or early morning. 

However I will caution you my success was with western coyotes , not mid eastern southern or SW yotes and there is a difference in the way they feed.  NortheEastern yotes that feed on deer and downed moose also come to bait. 

I know of one ecall makers that bait so they can get good recording of sounds.  

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH> Every coyote caller understands coyotes have their own language,  but less than 0.01% can speak yote effectively. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users