How often you use a shotgun?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 birdsnspurs

birdsnspurs

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Gents how often you use a shotgun for predators? Also what kind of range you generally shoot? Got a couple
Loads awaiting to come back from PR on pressure testing. Hoping to come up with some solid #2-#4 and #6 1oz and 1.5oz loads of tss for these Varmint type critters. Hoping for around a 13-1400fps velocity with a few inches of penetration power to 60-70 yards by tell of the charts that we are calculating by. Does these loads sound intriguing?

#2 texaspredatorhunter

texaspredatorhunter

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

I like 4 buck personally for varmints and home defense. Trap loads for dove, #4-6 for squirrel and rabbit, slugs on deer occasionally, and generally #2 for duck and geese depending where I am and what ranges. Don't like 3.5 inch shells out of a 12 and a right choke because I feel it distorts the shot string, may as well have a 10.

#3 birdsnspurs

birdsnspurs

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

With these loads they should over produce any factory shell

#4 Dang Dawg

Dang Dawg

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

I generally carry a 12 gauge to all my sets as well as the 22/250.

About 30% of the time I shoot them with the shotgun.

I reload, but have had outstanding performance with "dead coyote"

BB way out to 70 +.

But at $5 a shot I almost never use them.

My reloads I use 3 1/2" hulls "steel" powder and 1 5/8 oz. LEAD F shot.

I get around 1350 fps and have killed many coyotes over 70 yards with an .669 extended

ported choke, in my 870

Like the shooting ,Love the Hunting

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

I almost never carry a shotgun. There are a few areas that I do but quite honestly I reach for the rifle even on those sets.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#6 birdsnspurs

birdsnspurs

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:05 AM

Reason I'm asking trying to get some loads worked up for tss that will Fit the bill for predator hunting for people that want to shoot tss and load them cheaper than you can LEAD F or dead coyote. Just trying to figure out if there would be an interest in it.

TSS loads at $38/lb cost approx $4 for the 1.5 oz, and around $2.82 for the 1 oz, and there is no question they will out preform lead F shot, or dead coyote BB but there are more hunters than just myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users