Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,690 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Nice work on the lock Larry.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#23 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Okay world look out. Old Larry is on top of his game again!  I worked this weekend on of some of the Vardo,  designing the curved roof rafters. Took most of the day. Not satisfied yet and thinking of Catcapper....I took a drive to an old saw mill Langhoff Log & Lumber Farm. Its run by 81 year old Dad "BUD" and 51 year old son :Brad" That photo is an actual old blade from their mill. 

14317342_838882149580247_600269768148507

I met Brad and Bud both in the wood shop while some other men were looking at cherry. When the other guys left we talked for an hour reminiscing about days gone buy, the neighbors, 4H days and Bud's health. Bud has stage 4 cancer but he's still a sawyer by heart and still planes and runs the kiln. Oh he supervises Farmhall H and M tractor repairs too while Brad turns the wrenches. 

Long story short, they had acquired some Western Red Cedar telephone poles. Now we have no red cedar here in Iowa except at the lumber yards. Lucky me since the Vardo is being sided with western red cedar tongue and groove, now the framework and rafters will have the same wood.

The men said they would saw it for me next week. Talk about luck. I am very excited especially at just $1.00/board foot and they'll size it to my dimensions.  I can cut 2 curved rafters out of a a full dimension ed 2" x 8" x 6' board.

That means a single curved rafter will cost me around $2.00 per. That's awful inexpensive and the wood is well adjusted for humidity after 30 plus years holding up wires with nothing but air around it. Yes these are untreated western red cedar poles. 

Needless to say the entire Vardo will not be made out of rot resistant western red cedar.  

Call makers, Bud and his son do have quite a bit stabilized a spalted maple burl's and other spalted hardwoods on hand. I would  be happy to get you some pieces at Langhoffs cost and you pay the shipping.  Any thickness you want I presume. They also have some really nice clear walnut, hard maple, cherry, hickory,  dried to around 44% humidity (today's humidity in the shop) 

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH>  I once shopped for a hat made from a Jupiters little dog tail and a prickle, but all I could find was a hair roach in Tuscon.  

#24 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

Good to have those connections, Larry.  Can't wait for some pics!

My neighbor works at a lumber yard specializing in custom milling.  He delivers a flatbed truckload of what they term "rippings" in 16-foot lengths to me whenever I want some.  The dang stuff piles up and becomes quite a liability to them, so they are always pleased for someone to take a mess of it.  They come in 4-6 foot diameter bundles and I'm always sorting through them for exotic stuff including walnut, mahogany, lots of oak, maple, poplar - you name it.  I save it for projects, but most of it is burned for garage heat.

#25 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

I have seen the bundles you talk about Glen. They make for great firewood. I can also see where you could find some jewels in the rough within them. At Langhoffs they use there scrap wood for the kiln. Glen I agree its great to know people and friends. Our town of Cedar Rapids is not huge but not small maybe 130,000 folks And I have yet to go anywhere where I don't know someone. Its a great feeling.

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH>  I once shopped for a hat made from a Jupiters little dog tail and a prickle, but all I could find was a hair roach in Tuscon.  

#26 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Larry do they have any cherry burl or Birdseye maple

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#27 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Holy crapola batman....my memory is not as good as I thought. Seems I forgot my other my other call making buddies. My sincerest apologies to all.

They have some spalted maple. Nothing in chunks 2x2 or 2x3...however they have a few planks left in one inch thickness and varying widths/lengths.

Some guys came up from Missouri and bought allot of the sawn Cherry, Maple and other burals yesterday. But Brad says he has more stashed away just not cut. 

Tell you what Ill take my good camera with me next trip,( they are 15 mins from my house) and Ill snap some pictures and post prices. Brad and Bud have allot of different wood, even blue pine like CatCapper runs across. 

Not mention some of the straightest grained oak and walnut a gut can find. 

They are also experts in repairing snall old tractors, like Farmhall H &  M's, Fords Jubilee to 600 series, Massey Ferguson, Oliver 77 & 88 to name just a few. 

Here's a sample.of some spalted maple I sent Ed and Don. Attached File  IMG_2116.JPG   111.68KB   1 downloads

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

#28 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Good looking stuff there

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users