21 replies to this topic

#1 Jonbnks

Jonbnks

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

The post on here from Admin on May 06, 2016 ,Changes to forum management, says that VerticalScope.com is the owner of this website and forum.  I don't want to cause any trouble, but I do like to share with others what security information I've been seeing.

http://www.zdnet.com...-sports-forums/

Hacker steals 45 million accounts from hundreds of car, tech, sports forums.

The company that runs the forums admitted failings, but underplayed the hack.

The company is VerticalScope, a Toronto-based media company with dozens of major properties, including forums and sites run by AutoGuide.com, PetGuide.com, and TopHosts.com.

The company didn't outright confirm the breach, but said it was investigating.

Highly suggest that the users around here start changing their passwords and any other websites that might have the same passwords.

Hunting Season never closes

#2 JTKillough

JTKillough

Magister Invisibilis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

Done!

Invisibility, the next best thing to not being there!

#3 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this.

Done

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

RIP Chris Miller

#4 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hey folks,

To clarify some information. The articles reported that the breach was back in February. This is before this site was acquired and as such we do not believe there is any threat against the members of this site. It is also suspected that a 3rd party plugin got breached and had their data scraped. We can’t go into further details due to legal reasons as this is on ongoing investigation.

However, as with all things on the internet, it is always good to be safe when using the internet.

Some information to help you have a better experience on the internet as a whole:

Complex passwords are more secure, and it is best to not share any passwords across items. (Ex: Email, Banking, Forums, Work related)

A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements.

Example: BoiledCabbageis#1!

It is also good to change your passwords as this will limit anyones access to your account if they have not made it apparent that they have breached it.

Thanks,

- JB

PredatorTalk.com
Good People. Good Hunting. Good Times.

#5 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Hillary for Prison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Changed password

A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#6 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

I am unable to change my password and an email to administrator says they cant recieve any more messages .. Who do I get assistance from . ?

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I got your back !

Tree Branch Calls

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

RIP Chris Miller

#8 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

Thanx youngdon , Im still having trouble logging in to this site after trying to change my password . I have to sign in each time and I get a note saying it is an unsecure site because it doesnt have the https:// in front of the  name .

#9 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

I'm not sure why you have to log in each time, Have you tried left clicking on the "enter your email or user name box" ? that auto fills the boxes for me. The https shouldn't be an issue as you aren't giving the site any financial info.

Maybe admin can clarify that ?

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#10 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Don, when I sign in now, it says not a secure sight. Never did it before. The warning goes away once username and password are entered.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#11 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Do you know what program is telling you that Ed ? What browser are you using ?

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#12 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Don,

Read my post 

Attacks from websites

I asked the webmaster to look into it...still no answer.  I used to see it on Yahoo and Mozzila Browsers. Now I get it from Google. I have scrubbed my system including Hierarchy several times. It does not seem to reside in my register. Even after killing Google Chrome several times, cleaning my register thoroughly and reloading the issue appears. 

Its funny once you close the browser with the malicious warning, you can re-open PT using the HTTPs or just http://www.predatortalk.com. 

Last item, if you store the http://www.predatortalk.com into your bookmarks, it will open just fine without any malicious page warnings.

Thus I believe its somehow related to search engines. Not just one like Google but all. So the PT Webmaster needs to look on his side for any attached Browser Hijacker. 

my 2 cents

Larry

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH> Yote trappers in their craft bag scavenging yotes 85% of the time, while yote callers in their craft bag hunting yotes 85% of the time. 

#13 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Don, I use Mozilla and I do have PT book marked so what Larry said above doesnt seem right either.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#14 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

I put in a message to Admin, so hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Tree Branch Calls

RIP Chris Miller

#15 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

Don, 

I played around with it again this morning. I don't get the redirect to  http://url4short.info/987132b3 if I bookmark.  However, often I get the Firefox Mozilla warning of an unsecured website when I try to type in my password.

Complete info about the warning and what I see when I sign in with my ID/Passwrod is on this webpage: 

https://support.mozi...efox/ta-p/27861

As for Google search engine Ill often you'll get redirect to http://url4short.info/987132b3

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH> Yote trappers in their craft bag scavenging yotes 85% of the time, while yote callers in their craft bag hunting yotes 85% of the time. 

#16 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

Im no computer wiz , but like prairie wolf it said the same thing AND I had to resign in ... until today . When I came on today I was already signed in and no insecure notice .I use the mozilla .

#17 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Larry, that link to the mozilla explains why it is happening now and not before, but the problem still exists. I guess if I would check "remember" when it pops up that might fix it. But I never let my computer remember anything when it comes to passwords or stuff like that.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#18 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

I just checked the small icon in the web bar at the top and its for site info. It says "site not secure"

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

Ed Weddle @ Facebook

#19 AdminJ

AdminJ

• Administrators
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Chrome/FireFox has decided to start highlighting it now. It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to be upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.

As for the site itself, it is clean as per VirusTotal. As it is showing 1/64 detections, this looks to be a false flag. 

If you can provide a screenshot of the malware warning, I could look into it. 

Thanks,

- JB

#20 AdminJ

AdminJ

• Administrators
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Also, as this is account/website related, I have moved this thread to the Site help section.

- JB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users