97 replies to this topic

#81 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

I am sure it will call in coyotes and once you call one in with your own call, you will be hooked for sure !

I didnt think about the vegetable oil turning bad, my wife always kept it on a cutting board, but she did wash it often.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

#82 Yotehntr

Yotehntr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'm impressed! Nice job!

Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! :wink2:

#83 Mark Steinmann

Mark Steinmann

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

I'm impressed! Nice job!

Thank you Yotehntr! You guys are too kind!

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#84 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:17 AM

Mark, have you tired to make cow elk sounds with it yet ? You probably can make a bugle sound also. If it sounds fairly good, find you a piece of heater hose or garden hose to use with it. Even a piece of pvc pipe about 12" long will work to give you that more hollow sound when doing a bugle.

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#85 Mark Steinmann

Mark Steinmann

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

Mark, have you tired to make cow elk sounds with it yet ? You probably can make a bugle sound also. If it sounds fairly good, find you a piece of heater hose or garden hose to use with it. Even a piece of pvc pipe about 12" long will work to give you that more hollow sound when doing a bugle.

Yeah Ed, it can make a decent cow elk mew. I'll have to look into creating the bugle sounds though, I've never done it before.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#86 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

look looking call thanks for posting it

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#87 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Guess I should have titled this just "CALL" instead of predator. I noticed an elk call, lol

Anyway, I was going through some boxes my wife had stored in the garage and found the first Turkey pot call I ever made. So I figured to show it and some more ways to make other turkey calls.

This was my first: dont have photos of the steps but very easy. I cut strips of wood about and 1" high and then 4 more about 7/8". Then I made a box with just gluing the pieces together. After it dried I then cut the 7/8" strips to fit inside and this makes a place for the glass to sit on. I then got a piece of 1/8" glass from an old picture frame, wife never did know about that, lol

I cut the glass with a hand held glass cutter and then used silicone on top of the shorter pieces and set the glass in. Then you just press on the glass or sit something fairly heavy for 20-30 minutes and you are done. the second pic shows the inner pieces a little better. This call still sounds good also. Originally I think the striker was made from a piece of an aluminum arrow with a small block of wood on the end.

Attached File  sqpot.JPG   45.66KB   2 downloads

Attached File  sqpot1.JPG   48.15KB   2 downloads

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#88 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Here is another call I made today. They can be made from soda or a beer can, really just about any can made from aluminum.

This pic is how you cut the can. Just lay a razor knife on something so the blade is around 1" off the table. Then slowly turn the can in circles keeping it up against the tip of the blade, The way cans are so thin now, it helps to fill it with water of better , sand. You dont have to cut all the way through, once it is scored, you can stick the razor blade through and then slowly push in on the can and the aluminum will tear where it is scored. This is all you have to do if you want no other work except sanding the edges a little. But I will show how to make it stronger since cans are so flimsy now.

Attached File  cancall1.JPG   80.1KB   2 downloads

Now take another can, you probably bent the first one all up getting it apart.First score around the inner part where there is an indent and remove. Then cut the top off a little shorter than you did the bottom.

Attached File  cancall20.JPG   67.36KB   2 downloads

Attached File  cancall2.JPG   60.9KB   2 downloads

I am going to try and find the mike for my computer, if not I will use an ear bud for a mike, lol  This way you can hear how these calls sound. I have a couple more type of pot calls and a tube call for turkey. I will show them a little later.

Now take the top piece and slide the top edge first into the 1" bottom you cut off. Be careful dont get cut ! It should go in fairly easy, push it in until it is close to the bottom but not touching.

Attached File  cancall3.JPG   52.61KB   2 downloads

Now turn it over and rough up the surface a little and you have a pot call. This call will be a higher pitch but by trying different dowels for a striker, you can get a descent sound.

Attached File  can call.JPG   57.52KB   2 downloads

Now for a striker, get a 3/8"hardwood dowel or a graphite arrow shaft or even an aluminum arrow shaft. Cut then 7-8" long. Longer if you dont want to put something on the end. If you cut them 7-8" get a piece of horn, wood, really doesnt matter. Start off with it about 1-1/2 long, then drill a hole just big enough to slide your dowel into. If the call sound to low pitch cut a little of the 1-1/2" piece, keep cutting it shorter until you find the pitch you want.

Attached File  striker.JPG   41.31KB   2 downloads

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#89 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Wow those are cool thanks for sharing

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

​the working man's game call

#90 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 10,309 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Great stuff indeed ED., thanks for sharing.

#91 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

That's good, Ed, but even my innate cheapness doesn't motivate me to make calls.  Heck, that's why our custom callmakers, such as you, get the work.

This pic shows my only attempt at making an owl hooter about 40 years ago.  The green one on the right is a store-bought model and the one on the left is one I made.

It began as a V-8 juice can.  Then I took a small piece of 1/4" copper tubing, smashed it, and soldered it over a hole I made in the side of the can.  Then some camo tape and it was finished.

It works fine but I'm waiting for Rodney to perfect his own version of an owl hooter that he's been working on.  Looking for a bit more volume, but I guess a larger can would have been better. 

Even the Lohman call doesn't provide enough volume for my liking.

Attached Files

#92 Larry

Larry

Crackerjack Trapper & Predator Pursuant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:55 AM

For the first time I saw this page. Very innovative stuff here. Also some great craftsmanship! Thanks all for posting

COYOTES CANNOT FLY

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH>  I once shopped for a hat made from a Jupiters little dog tail and a prickle, but all I could find was a hair roach in Tuscon.  

#93 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:40 AM

For the first time I saw this page. Very innovative stuff here. Also some great craftsmanship! Thanks all for posting

Me too Larry , some real craftsman on here .. Thanx for posting guys ! :clapclap:

#94 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Glen, I am sure Rodney will come up with something. he has turned out to be a very good callmaker and makes calls for various species. But now I have an owl hooter project to start also, lol  I usually use a crow call, a howler and a gobble  call when locating turkey. I have even used an elk bugle , for volume the howler will beat anything out there.

Also, I dont make calls for the money, I enjoy making them and trying to come up with new styles. Thats why I quit all my commercial accounts including allpredatorcalls.com. I still have a few small gun shops near me that will call once and awhile wanting to know if I have any calls and if you have noticed I havent put any for sale in a long time. Right now I am into building plaques for sportsman and also laser burnt animal pics and western stuff on old weather wood. I just made some skull plaques for Mark and I will post some pics once he send them to me with the skulls on them.

I am probably going to use the old square pot turkey call this year archery hunting, that is if I can find the turkeys !!

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#95 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Ok, here are 2 sound files, not very good. I used a set of ear buds for a mp3 player, lol

on both calls I used the striker above

3" sq. pot:Attached File  sq pot.mp3   118.37KB   9 downloads

soda can pot: Attached File  sodacan.mp3   82.04KB   9 downloads

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#96 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Better than I thought they'd be, Ed.  Have you actually called any turkeys in with either of them?  Did you have to sand or sandblast the glass?

#97 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Yes Glen, I got one years back and havent turkey hunted since. At the price our game and fish wants for a permit, you could go buy 4 or 5 turkeys !! and then you still have to get drawn and only 1 per year.

Yes, I sanded them both. If your enlarge the pic you be able to see the sand marks. I think with different strikers and working more with the by holding them different the sounds can be made better, but I am no turkey hunter. A friend of mine has used a custom pot call of mine (not anything like these) and has gotten a couple of gobblers. Even though I make custom calls, I still like to show you dont need manufactured or fancy calls, to get the job done. In fact I get more satisfaction when I call a bull elk in with one of the very simple rubber band calls than one of my elk antler calls.

I enlarged them and just noticed the date is way wrong but the pics were just taken yesterday, lol

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#98 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

I certainly understand the self-satisfaction.  It would add an extra measure of "cool" using those one-off inventions.  Much like handloading some unique blend of components.

I've taken a fair amount of gobblers but don't consider myself to be any kind of expert.  Fact is, I've learned some simple vulnerabilities and always play the same dumb tricks on 'em.  Calling is overrated, as far as I'm concerned.  Just figure them out and hide and watch. 

But, it sure is fun when you know they're talking back and heading in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users