Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Which compact truck would you choose and why

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Truck pole (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Which truck would you recommend based on these factors price, durability,looks,options. This truck is for hunting and weekend home depot projects

1. Chevy Colorado (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. GMC Canyon (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Voted Toyota Tacoma (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

4. Nissan Frontier (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I am going to need a truck when I get back to the states which one do you prefer and why. Also I have never owned a 4WD is it worth the extra cost? There have only been a couple of times when I really needed it. Someone once told me having a 4WD will just get you stuck more times than not because you will try the impossible with them. Any thoughts on this would be welcome. Thanks

I spent to long trying to figure out a clever signature, so now I give up

#2 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

If you're gonna spend some time out chasing critters, I'd definitely go with a 4 wheel drive, ya 4 wheel drive has gotten me stuck worse a few times, but it has saved my butt way more times. As far as what type of compact truck to run in I'll let someone else answer that question, I've always run in full sized trucks so I can't say that I have any experience on that one for ya.

#3 zacii

zacii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

I will never be without a 4X4 truck, if I can help it. If you're going to be out hunting, it's a necessity. You will need to climb rocks, cross water, dig through mud and snow, and encounter sand.

Your title says compact truck, so go straight for a Toyota and don't look back.

#4 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for replies, yes I have always loved Toyota I had a tundra years back they are just so danged expensive

#5 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

well ifn i was in the need for compact truck i would buy a ford ranger

sadly they dont make them anymore

toyota does make a good product,a lot of them are assembled here in the states

just like the domestic brands,no such thing as a vehicle that is truly american made anymore

assembled here yes,but truly all american made     no such thing

i will never be with out atleast one 4x4,or all wheel drive vehicle

not just because i love to go into the woods and hunt

but here in Mn you need them in the winter time

they only get you more stuck if you use it wrong

never use 4 low when "off road" or in snow,4 low is for pulling heavy objects up a grade

never over accelerate when in 4 high,this just makes more wheels spin and thats when you will get stuck

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

a person with a gun is a CITIZEN, a person without a gun is a SERVANT

guns only have two enemies,rust and politicians

when people get on your nerves,just smile,fart and walk away

a happy wife equals a happy life

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#6 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Thanks sneakygroundbuzzard I often wondered what 4 low was for. So even if you are going say 25 miles an hour on some sandy trail you would still want to be in 4 high?

#7 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

25 mph in 4 low, in most 4wd vehicles thats not even possible

the gear ratio in 4low is so low that you have run thru all gears (in transmission) before you can get to

that speed,engine rpms would be so high at 25 mph you would more than likely wreck the engine

so yes, under the conditions you described, 4 high would be what you would want

even then i wouldnt engage 4 high unless it was needed

you also dont want to use 4 high on dry hard pavement,its hard on the driveline if you do

especially while cornering

if you have ever driven a 4 wheel drive vehicle on dry pavement and turned tight with the 4x4 engaged,you can feel a jerking motion(much worse when in 4 low and you do it)

this is whats known as driveline wind up, this puts severe pressure on the driveline and why its not advised to use 4 high(or 4 low) when on dry hard pavement

take my words about this any way you wish,but i did spend 25 years as an auto technician ;)

did i mention,that if i were gonna buy a compact 4x4 truck with whats on the market

even though i am a ford blue oval guy though and through,toyota would be my current choice since the ranger isnt made any more

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the constitution"

Thomas Jefferson

when your life is in jeapordy, would you rather have a gun in your hands or a cop on the phone?

#8 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info , I did not even know they quit making the ford ranger until I started looking at trucks to buy. I wonder why they did that, surely their is a market for mid size trucks especially with the gas prices. I do have to admit there isn't much difference in fuel economy with a 6 versus 8.

#9 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

i was a ford tech for the last seventeen years i spent as an auto tech

the ranger and explorer got no better fuel mileage than the f-150 or expedition

not sure why they quit making the ranger,it was the number 1 selling truck in its class,just like the f-150 was for its class of truck

but it sure hurt the local economy when they did quit building hem,we had a ford ranger plant down in the 

mineapolis/st paul area here in Mn

Thomas Jefferson

#10 dwtrees

dwtrees

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

I would go with the Toyota also. If they build their trucks like they build their construction equipment, it will run forever (well almost). I used to own a 2008 Tundra but traded it off for a Ford F150 XLT  Ecoboost . If Toyota wouldn't have pissed me off (wouldn't stand behind the paint falling off problem I had), I would still be driving a Toyota. And if Ford doesn't get the fuel mileage problem straightened out, I might just give Toyota a second chance.

#11 Jonbnks

Jonbnks

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

I've had a Dodge Dakota for the last 14 years.  Sadly they don't make them anymore, otherwise I'd be buying a new one.  I have also been looking for a new truck and a few of the ones that I have liked the look of, the inside of the cab has been too small for me to be comfortable.  I would like to have a 4 wheel drive truck, but I don't need it for 90 perfect of what I do. 

Hunting Season never closes

#12 kiyote

kiyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:55 AM

I personally wouldn't own any of them. I drive fords .american made (well used to be anyhow), I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD IN a jap trap toyota or nissan.and chevy took the bailouts and will never be forgiven.

#13 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

kiyote, like i said earlier

no such thing as american made vehicles anymore,american assembled yes   american made  no

most parts even for your f-150 are made in other countries and shipped here to have the truck assembled

just like toyotas,hondas, etc, and i believe its either bmw or mercedes that is going to have a plant here in the states now

my ford fusion isnt even american assembled,it was assembled in mexico

i am a ford guy through and through,if you cut me i bleed ford blue

Thomas Jefferson

#14 pokeyjeeper

pokeyjeeper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

I would go with the tacoma mine gets 28 mpg out on the hwy the box is over 8 foot with the gate down it has aton of storage compartments if you look around you can if a great used one that some one all ready took the hit on and its not new so you can use it and not feel gillty about get the 4.0v-6 they go forever 300000+ the other trucks you have listed just don't stack up I've been there and kicked this around for over a year but good luck in your choice

FLATLANDER'S CUSTOM GAME CALLS

‚Äčthe working man's game call

#15 sneakygroundbuzzard

sneakygroundbuzzard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

actually not all fords are "made" in mexico

some are assembled there,some are assembled in america

if you want to know where your ford was assembled look at the vin

if the first digit is the #1 then it was assembled here in the states,#2 then it was assembled in canada

#3 then it was assembled in mexico

at most UAW plants,they will not allow you to park a vehicle in their lot if it does not have a vin that starts with the number 1 or number 2

so if i were to drive to a UAW plant in my ford fusion,which has the vin #3 i wouldnt be allowed to park in their parking lot,even if it was a ford UAW plant

Thomas Jefferson

#16 Deadshotjonny

Deadshotjonny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

i resently was looking at compact trucks. i'm a chevy guy my self, but wasnt impressed with the colorado. i really liked the tacoma, and heard lots of good things about them. I ended up getting a chevy 1500 cuz the price was right. I do recommend getting a big engine in your compact though, especially if you go in snow/mud.

#17 kiyote

kiyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

kiyote, like i said earlier

no such thing as american made vehicles anymore,american assembled yes   american made  no

most parts even for your f-150 are made in other countries and shipped here to have the truck assembled

just like toyotas,hondas, etc, and i believe its either bmw or mercedes that is going to have a plant here in the states now

my ford fusion isnt even american assembled,it was assembled in mexico

i am a ford guy through and through,if you cut me i bleed ford blue

yeah, I know .that's why I said used to be ,anyhow. mine was actually assembled in canada.but I tried to buy U.S. :wink:

#18 texaspredatorhunter

texaspredatorhunter

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hell it doesn't matter anymore everything is made in Taiwan or some other small poor country. Me personally I'll get a dodge or Chevy crew cab long bed diesel. I have plenty reason for it otherwise half ton chevy.

#19 Daamud

Daamud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I'm kind of a fan of '94 Rangers... I think they're breeding, I'm up to 6 now. Lol.

IMG_20150201_153204_zpskz7tfcc3.jpg

#20 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

You have enough ranger's there to have spare parts for anything that needs replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users