35 replies to this topic

#21 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

A pic of Joe in our blind.  That's the launcher in the foreground.

Attached Files

#22 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,698 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like a great time ! The hunt tests were always a good time for the handlers ,shooters and especially the dogs.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#23 TomKat

TomKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

ymehuhy4.jpg

Brandy 4 yrs old Feb 2014

#24 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

See...you did just fine.
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#25 Beta

Beta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

That does sound like a lot of fun! Sounds like you did good, and had some smart dogs!

People tell me not to listen to the voices in my head, but sometimes they have some really good ideas.

#26 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

All the dogs are smart.  It takes a trained owner to get it out of them, however.  And the money they put into them seems to have no limit.

A neighbor, who owns several highly trained retrievers, and is a member of one of the retriever clubs, not only has spent countless thousands of dollars on his dogs' professional training, he just constructed 2 ponds to simulate those used in the events.  And, before he spent the cash on the ponds, he purchased the additional land so that he could make it happen.  One pond cost $70,000 just to move the dirt.  His dogs are his children.

#27 Beta

Beta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Reminds me of my brother! His dogs live better than most humans (me for one) do! hehehe.

Yeah, I've never had a lab that didn't retrieve. However, I broke the mold 5 years ago with a 'mutt' Border Collie/Lab mix just because I had not duck hunted for years, and she was a free pup. Not sure why but she HATES guns, thunder and lightning, etc... Now I have the duck itch again so I think when she gets a little bit older a new Lab is in order. If I went out this year I'd either have to do a lot of swimming, or a lot of paddling around goofing up the hunt. :nut:

People tell me not to listen to the voices in my head, but sometimes they have some really good ideas.

#28 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

I had a gun-shy Lab - until he figured out that he could go nuts downrange on game.  After he learned, the guns never bothered him.  In fact, he would go downrange at every shot at the range, so we could never have him with us.  So, we locked him in the Scout and he ate all our chicken - bones and all.

#29 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

I had a springer that would go apeshit when ever you got a gun out, she was born to hunt.
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Benjamin Franklin

#30 Beta

Beta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

lol!!! I have been thinking of trying to teach her that guns =  critters, go get em! A wing would be nice, but I don't know of anyone who still hunts ducks/geese so I may try with a squirrel and lots of treats. Probably start with a .22 short and see what happens. She sure loves to hunt (by herself) so if she could learn that the gun was a big helper I'd be in business!

#31 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

lol...Beta. put the Beggin strips in the gun safe.

Benjamin Franklin

#32 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

I am going to look for some of my old photos...I have shot Pheasants over a Doberman, Australian Red Heeler and my Springer. Non were gun shy.

Benjamin Franklin

#33 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 20,698 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

lol!!! I have been thinking of trying to teach her that guns =  critters, go get em! A wing would be nice, but I don't know of anyone who still hunts ducks/geese so I may try with a squirrel and lots of treats. Probably start with a .22 short and see what happens. She sure loves to hunt (by herself) so if she could learn that the gun was a big helper I'd be in business!

I'd start by shooting at a distance from the dog, show her you are having fun. Have the wife hold her and encourage her to go to you. Do that several times before you shoot close to her, and even then use restraint when shooting directly over her. You'll know when you can move to the next step by her comfort with the situation.

My hunting dog of years past knew the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. He'd sniff at a rifle on the floor, but he'd roll all over a shotgun.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#34 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:16 AM

For sure a dog can learn not to be afraid of shooting, even if it is gun shy. 

I even had a cat that was "noise sensitive", but once he followed me around while I was shooting cow birds with sub-sonics.  He pounced on a cripple and finished it off.  After that, he knew what the gun was for and we hunted routinely around the house.

That's until my wife caught us in the act and ended all my fun with one swing of the frying pan.  The cat didn't get in any trouble, though.

#35 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 10,309 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

Hopefully it wasn't cast iron Glen.

#36 Beta

Beta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

Good tips everyone!! Thanks! I may even try the Beggin strips AZ! :mrgreen:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users