Predator Hunting Forum banner

Coyote?

7K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  youngdon 
#1 ·
Any of you crazies ever tried Coyote meat? Wondering if ya boiled it for a few hours and then cooked it slow for a few day if it would be chewable.

#2 ·
I would have to be pretty dang hungry first. Not saying I wouldn't if that's what it came to. Used to buy homemade tamales from an old woman on a street corner in a town I used to live in. Best I ever ate. A guy asked me one time, " have you ever noticed there are no stray dogs or cats around there?". HMMMMM.........

:hunter:

Reactions: SteveMc
#3 ·
Yotes smell bad enough when ya skin em let alone cook it lol! So i probably wouldn't be eating it unless i absolutley had too. My little brother on the other hand i bet he would. He just told me yesterday that he put a raccoon in the slow cooker and it turned out like pulled pork!

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I posted my coyote recipe once on the site..completely debone the coyote and place the meat in a plastic bag with a marinade and let it sit overnight I use one cup of olive oil, extra virgin, 3ozs of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of garlic, a 1/2 teaspoon of onion salt, a1/4 teaspoon of celery salt, 2 pinches of crushed red pepper(like from your pizza) 2 pinches of cracked black pepper and a healthy pinch of salt, I prefer sea salt. just a small shot of lemon juice and a teaspoon of water help to mix and meld the flavors.

mix all the dry spices and blend them well into the O oil and vinegar let it set for a few hours so the flavors meld before using it (it's good on salad too) to marinate the meat overnight. the next evening remove the meat in the bag from your refrigerator and let it come to room temperature in a dark place such as the bottom of your garbage can. Once it is at room temp change clothes and take the wife or GF to a nice dinner. This goes well with either a Malbec ( I prefer Argentinian) or a Gewurztraminer.

• Haha
#5 ·
Yotes smell bad enough when ya skin em let alone cook it lol! So i probably wouldn't be eating it unless i absolutley had too. My little brother on the other hand i bet he would. He just told me yesterday that he put a raccoon in the slow cooker and it turned out like pulled pork!
Sounds like he was pulling your pork..............

#8 ·
didnt we have a big long thread about this a while back?

and yes SG, me too lol

i would be willing to give it a try

just like i plan on trying wolf if and when i kill one,along with bobcat etc.

back straps is back straps,protien is protien ;)

dont know if its good or if you like it untill you try it

i know some folks who love eating raccoon and possum and squirrel brains etc

#11 ·
There is a thread in the Pred hunting section under Yotes. I had this discussion with my buddies yesterday in the car. I think like other meats (BEAR) you can grind it up, add pork or beef to it and make jerky sticks. I want to try it, so I know I'm not wasting something other than my .223 round. LOL Maybe I will man up and just do it when I smoke the next yote.

#13 ·
I was on a kick yeras ago. "Anything ya kill, ya gotta eat." I came away from that period in my life with several good lessons. Not the least of which is "coyote meat isn't fit for comsumption by anything bigger than a crow, magpie, or maggot!!" No marinade, or magical elixer can possibly make it edible for this guy!! Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

Life's too short not to hunt coyotes!

#22 ·
I have.

Allot of people think coyotes in the US are mostly meat eaters. Fact is I put coyotes in the same class as raccoons, possums and skunks. Thus their meat taste like it. Its strong as hell and unless its roasted with lots of veggies and spices it is almost unedible. Like eating Indian curry I believe you have to cover the flavor of the meat with spices and most spices have to heat up the taste buds. I put a ton of BBQ sauce on my sample and it was still as strong as a roasted raccoon.

I have ate allot of wild game over the years and I would rank coyotes as a 3 where a 10 is the best. Number 1 at the bottom of the list has to be any and all fish eating ducks. Fish eating duck flesh smells like chicken scraps left in the sun when you cook it no matter the seasoning, It stays that way to the plate.

On the top or Number 10 has to be muskrat. Its flavor is almost sweet and has a texture like very expensive roast beef. Fact is you want to go back for more. Add a tad of mustard and it makes a great sandwich! My opinion is the flavor taste that way because of their diet of nothing but grains, shoots, seeds and cattail tubers. Fact is a swamp with cattails make the best tasting muskrats. All of that sweet tasting starch from the cattail tubers is key.

#24 ·
dont understand why they didnt skin it before putting it over the fire

explains why the first piece tasted like they smell

but after they dug deeper they said it was like duck,over cooked duck but duck none the less

Reactions: Daamud
#26 ·
I posted my coyote recipe once on the site..completely debone the coyote and place the meat in a plastic bag with a marinade and let it sit overnight I use one cup of olive oil, extra virgin, 3ozs of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of garlic, a 1/2 teaspoon of onion salt, a1/4 teaspoon of celery salt, 2 pinches of crushed red pepper(like from your pizza) 2 pinches of cracked black pepper and a healthy pinch of salt, I prefer sea salt. just a small shot of lemon juice and a teaspoon of water help to mix and meld the flavors.

mix all the dry spices and blend them well into the O oil and vinegar let it set for a few hours so the flavors meld before using it (it's good on salad too) to marinate the meat overnight. the next evening remove the meat in the bag from your refrigerator and let it come to room temperature in a dark place such as the bottom of your garbage can. Once it is at room temp change clothes and take the wife or GF to a nice dinner. This goes well with either a Malbec ( I prefer Argentinian) or a Gewurztraminer.
I like your recipe Don. Just skip all of the above and place it in the garbage can...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.