Predator Hunting Forum banner

Hog meat recipes

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  HunterGatherer 
#1 ·
Hello all, I don't take my hogs to get processed. I gut, skin, quarter, and debone em myself, and I cut the meat up into 3-4 oz pieces and freeze wrap it in 1-2 lb. increments. But I'm always lookin for another good way to cook em up.
Sometimes I go all out and make my own sauces and rubs, but when im in a hurry or not trying to impress anyone heres what i do...
After thawing the meat I season it with some seasoning salt and add a little cayenne pepper and a decent amount of brown sugar. Then I drizzle some bbq sauce and fat free Italian dressing (more bbq sauce than Italian). Then I cook it at about 300 on the grill or in the oven. The lower heat seems to keep the meat from drying up and getting too tough.

On a side note, for the bigger pigs (150+) I like to soak the meat on ice in some vinegar or other acidic fruit juice. The acidity takes the gaminess right out of the meat.

What do y'all do to make your piggies taste awesome?!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I also quarter my hogs and set them on ice for a couple days. I have never cut them into smaller pieces, but now I'm rethinking that because you are making my mouth water from reading about what you do. I think wild hog is about the best meat out there and anytime you can come up with another delicious way to prepare it, I'm all over that!

Reactions: Scotty D.
#5 ·
The finest-tasting roasted hog that I've ever eaten was a wild hog...It tasted like a slice of heaven... +1 to your statement, HG
The first hog I shot, we cooked up a hind quarter one week later and after that I declared myself a hog hunter! I'm not trying to exterminate them. I would be a sad hunter to see them gone. They are a target species to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.