• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 the impactzone

the impactzone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

With all the talk about (barks) being the hot sound this time of year I went out to a honey hole with my brother last night and told him we were going to switch it up a bit, and just use vocals, well right off the bat when we get on stand after walking ½ mile the batteries went dead on the e-caller, spares are back in the truck, I had a few of Tony’s calls in my pocket and grabbed the biggest one the Loud SOB I think and started with a series of barks and short howls with 2-3 minutes between. Wasn’t 3 series in to it and I look to my left with the thermal sight and on the same two track we are on is this LARGE coyote not 50 yards away, I had just enough time to tell my brother coyote on the left, then let one go, he jumped and ran 25 yards into the old rice field and started to bite and spin, I didn’t want him to get far so I sent another one his way and got that sweet sounding thump and down he went. Switched to some pup distress sounds and often checked on the down one with the thermal, I thought it was big and couldn’t wait any longer, told the pup to huntem up she ran straight down the road down wind nose to the ground, hit a spot and cut into the field right to the down coyote. And this is what I found. coydog.jpg Standard size coyote 35+ lbs and the coy dog coydog104.jpg Notice the difference in the color of the gums, the coydogs gums are white with some black spots whereas the coyote is liver color also notice the length of the coydogs muzzle coydog101.jpgcoydog100.jpg This coydog was easily over 50 pounds I’m 6’4”, I didn’t have a scale to weigh him on butt have lifted a few feed bags in my day. Almost took him to the vet to weight and have him look at it but he wasn’t in the office today. coydog108.jpg He is now in the freezer till I get back from the shotshow.

#2 yotecatslayer34

yotecatslayer34

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Awesome man!!  We need to make some stands again when you have time,   Nice !       Just posted a cat I got last night from the same property we got that nice yote in Granger off the highway..  God Bless !

#3 HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

This is good stuff! I'm no expert on coyotes and dogs, but I believe what I have been told is, yes, they can breed, but the offspring is sterile. Anyone else hear anything on this?

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

#4 hakly

hakly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Great post, interesting bit on the hybrid.  You will have to let us know what the vet tells you(assuming you have the vet look at him when you get back from shot show).

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18028 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I know that coyotes will breed with domestics, had it happen to a dog of mine. many times the coyotes will breed with and then kill the unfortunate pet, but some pets are tough enough. I'd be interested to hear what a vet says about the offspring and sterility.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#6 the impactzone

the impactzone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just caught up the vet I know and brought the coydog with me, weight was 48lb, 10 hours after death, first thing he did was check it for dew claws, at the feet, looked at the teeth, then the ears for a tattoo, then said well we can scan it and if it has a chip you can call the owner,,,, LOL I was like What? He said its coyote with some domestic dog in it, and for sure it has not missed any meals

#7 HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

FLOPSY!!!!

You killed my Flopsy!

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

#8 Puchaco

Puchaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the post - What do you think its pareant were? The features look like a shepherd, mayby?

And nice head shot!

#9 prairiewolf

prairiewolf

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5157 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well guess you should be on the look out for some missing dog posters !!  LOL

EW  Game  Calls

Affordable Custom Calls

http://ewgamecalls.webs.com/

#10 the impactzone

the impactzone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I now call the missing dog poster looking for land to hunt, and ask could a coyote have got your dog, let me at them. it has paid off once

#11 Puchaco

Puchaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Nice tactic, the impactzone

#12 wv-outdoor

wv-outdoor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

That's a big one!! Congrats

#13 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Interesting  VERY Intresting---------what did you do with the collar???  Just funn'en  lol----congrats on your kill----sb 

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#14 the impactzone

the impactzone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

collar, hell I had to get him off the chain before the lady came out of the house, thats the story I'll tell if i have him mounted LOL

#15 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

That's one cool coyote ! I've seen pups years ago from a coyote that had gotten a female mutt through a kennel fence. They were real little and butt ugly ! I remember they yapped non-stop for hours and hours. It was my buddy's neighbor who had them. Don't know whatever became of them. May have to try and see what happened to them all.

FIGHT !!!!

#16 Dialed_In

Dialed_In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Back in the late 70's I broke & trained Quarter horses on the side.  I rode young stock early mornings before work and used some rough country behind my place to leg them up.  Coydogs, coyotes and wild dogs became a problem.  I carried a .38 revolver when I went out in the mornings.  I had individuals and packs of 3- 6 follow me for a 1/4 mile or more.  The only thing worse than having a spooky horse from yotes is having one come unhinged when you discharge a pistol from the saddle.  Got kinda dicey a few times!  Best I remember some local coon hunters lost some dogs one season to the packs.  Several varmint and deer hunters in the area finally declared war and shot enough of them to solve the problem.  I remember hearing the story of one fellow killing a supposed coydog that was the size of a German Shepherd dog with dark coloring, bushy tail and coyote traits; don't remember the weight, just that second hand info said he was big enough to saddle and ride!

Any Day above ground is a good day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users