• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Ive been reading and trying to research as much information as possible but i'm still not 100% clear. So please bare with me as this will be my first...

So I shoot a coyote....I will then need to skin it out of course, but how long do I have to flesh it out if I run out of time after skinning them. Do I freeze the hide until i can get around to it, or does it need to be fleshed fairly soon(same or next day) after it has been skinned?

I think i read where I need to take the hide to a laundromat and wash it with borax. Is this prior to fleshing or after it has been fleshed?

After it has been washed and fleshed, you put it on a stretcher with fur on inside and let it dry? Approximately how long does it take to dry?

After all that, are you done? What all can you do with the fur? I would like to make a hat maybe out of one, Christmas stocking or just hang some on the wall.... who knows....one day. I think it has to be tanned though for those things. Way down here in Texas, I don't think there is much money in selling the fur but not to sure on all that yet?

Anyways, hope im somewhat close and if not I know you pros will get me lined out. I hope to be going out tonight and maybe next few nights so i'm trying to grab enough info that I wont waste any hides.

Also is this about the same as a bobcat or fox or are they different?

Have a great day!!

#2 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

I will send you a pm.

" We must all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately. " -Benjamin Franklin-

#3 clayhen

clayhen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Good question for us newbies, I would like to know the answer to all that to. Thanks for asking
Trapping is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get...

#4 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I will be looking for the pm....Thanks!!

Clay...i thought so too, i almost didnt ask because i couldnt find any information and thought maybe there is a reason noone has asked. Hopefully it will help us out!!

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17633 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've asked azpredator to post it on the forum. I see no benefit or need to keep it from all members.

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

www.josephthomasfoundation.org   (take a look)

#6 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

JustYakin, a little birdie just told me I should tell you how to care, clean and prep your fur. First thing you need to do is advoid damage, wild animals are dirty, to get top dollar or a nice pelt you can put on your wall you need to advoid damaging your fur: don't put a wet coyote on cold metal! ie: the bed/tailgate of your truck, wet fur will stick/freeze to cold metal and you will pull out the fur/gaurd-hairs and damage your pelt. Most animals will have mud, burrs, dirt, matted hair and blood on them, you need to clean them before they are skinned. A fur brush/comb is a great tool to remove burrs,dirt, and other foreign materials,then if possible you can wash the animal in water, do not use warm water! You can use a small amount of baby shampoo if you like, just wash it like you would a dog, make sure you run your fingers through the fur and remove any burrs etc, then rinse in clean water, then your fur is clean, squeeze out as much water as you can, use an old towel or two to get it as dry as possible. Hang your animal up by one leg to dry completely. If you can't do this, you can wash the pelt after you skin it. It is not necessary to wash every pelt, it's nicer to work with a clean pelt! If you want, you can wash the pelt in water, dry it and then skin it, then wash with shampoo after it's fleshed, it's up to you. Do Not take a dirty, smelly, stinky coyote to a laundry mat! They will have your pelt up on the wall.lol Ok do you get the first part of fur handling? On to the next....

" We must all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately. " -Benjamin Franklin-

#7 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I am using a cell phone to do this so, It will take some time....

#8 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Do you guys get the first part? If you have a question, well I can always go back. This is hard to do with small keys, but if you guys need help I will try...

#9 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

So...no laundry mat...got it....lol....take your time! Im here all day long!!

#10 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • 2231 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I agree with azpredator, I remove burrs, dirt and mud from my furs, then I skin and flesh. Then I do put my furs in a washing machine with borax soap, but i have a washing machine just for that purpose. Very important like azpredator said, make sure you use COLD water. I haven't tried baby shampoo, I might have to give that a try.

#11 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

So...no laundry mat...got it....lol....take your time! Im here all day long!!

+1 Ruger.. justYakin, don't use you own washer, you will smell like a coyote! Ok how long do I have to flesh it"?

#12 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

+1 Ruger.. justYakin, don't use you own washer, you will smell like a coyote! Ok how long do I have to flesh it"?

I'm not sure if your asking me or that is the beggining of your next post.....i've got everything so far but as to how long im not sure....unless y'all are saying to flesh it right after you skin it. I got the washing down!

#13 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

If I need to, I will go back to" Skinning" " How long do you have" ?, I never have skinned a animal and then put it in the freezer. Someone my be able to tell you but I don't think that would be the best idea, after you skin a animal, you should flesh it. Fleshing is probably the hardest part to learn, and it is one of the most important parts of fur handling, all animals have some fat or meat that stays on the pelt after the skinning process. You must remove all of the fat and meat! I don't like the word MUST so I will only use it if I must! lol. If you don't remove the fat etc, the pelt will not dry properly and it will rot, decompose and the hair will start to fall out! The the fleshing process is difficult and not that easy, you will learn by experience, some animals are easy ie: Mink and some can be difficult ie: Raccoon, Raccoon have alot of fat and a saddle, it's a membrane on the neck, not the best animal to start with, good thing you are after coyote! So I wouldn't freeze it, just skin and flesh it at the same time. If it's cold out you can wait untill the next morning to start on it, but it is harder with a stiff animal... some animals will spoil in a few hours in warm weather "Muskrats" are one of them, if it's cold out it will give you more time, but if it's below 32* they may freeze, again skin it, flesh it and put it on a stretcher...

#14 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I agree with azpredator, I remove burrs, dirt and mud from my furs, then I skin and flesh. Then I do put my furs in a washing machine with borax soap, but i have a washing machine just for that purpose. Very important like azpredator said, make sure you use COLD water. I haven't tried baby shampoo, I might have to give that a try.

Ruger, don't use to much of that baby shampoo in your washer! Didn't you watch the Brady Bunch lol. I use it in a tub...

#15 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thats simple enough...as far as what to do...lol. Now fleshing it will take some time to get but shouldn't take long.

How long do they normally take to dry out? Couple days or weeks?

Are bobcats done the same way?

#16 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm not sure if your asking me or that is the beggining of your next post.....i've got everything so far but as to how long im not sure....unless y'all are saying to flesh it right after you skin it. I got the washing down!

That's ok. The reason you clean the fur, is so when you are fleshing, you don't hit a burr or a peice of hard mud and cut a hole in the hide...

#17 JustYakin

JustYakin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

ahhhh....that makes perfect sense!!

#18 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Fleshing will be the hard part, it will take you years to master. Practice makes perfect! Don't get discouraged you will cut many holes, and you will be a master @ sewing holes before the fleshing.

#19 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 3235 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Bobcat is the same thing, you want to get good at fleshing first, Bobcats are worth more money than Coyote...I will keep going...

#20 clayhen

clayhen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks
Trapping is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users