• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Dicks is having a sale on Remington 700 for black Friday. I was planning on getting a .243 but local store does not have any in stock. Should I drive hour and Half to get .243 or should I just go to local store and get the .223 . I am planning on shooting varmint round out of each and not sure if I want to give up range of .243. Any thoughts?

#2 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I love my .243 Nothing wrong with the .223 as I have both but if I had to pick 1 it's .243 all the way.
I said I didn't want to fight, I didn't say I couldn't.

#3 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 3606 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

My opinion a .223, unless I was going to hunt deer with it then a .243, but you are in Illinois and can't hunt deer with a rifle. How far you plan on shooting a coyote?, 400-500 yards? I can't even see that far lol, check into the price of .243 ammo and .223...

" We must all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately. " -Benjamin Franklin-

#4 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

If you are going to shoot varmint rounds out of each If they have them I would maybe look into a 22-250 also. I have a .243 and they are a great round but If you look at the ballistics I think 22-250 with a 50 or 55gr bullets actually outshoots the .243 with a 55gr bullet. I also have and really like my .223 and it is a great cal to shoot and its also cheaper to shoot.

#5 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2320 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

My opinion a .223, unless I was going to hunt deer with it then a .243, but you are in Illinois and can't hunt deer with a rifle. How far you plan on shooting a coyote?, 400-500 yards? I can't even see that far lol, check into the price of .243 ammo and .223...

You can use a rifle but on coyotes only.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#6 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2097 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

The ballistics I've seen on 55 & 58 grain .243 are virtually identical to the 22-250. How many rounds to you have to shoot to justify the cost of ammo being the deciding factor?

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18106 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

The 22-250 w/ a 50 gr bullet will be about 1/2" flatter at 500yds than a 58gr Hornady (these are factory loadings) the 243 has it beat in retained energy though. It's true he can't shoot deer with either..in Illinois, what if he gets a chance to go elsewhere ?

http://www.hornady.c...enterSpread.pdf

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#8 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 3606 posts

I was thinking he may want to go up to Wisconsin someday and shoot a deer, a 22-250 would be better for longer ranges, I like the .223, you can get ammo in just about any store.

" We must all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately. " -Benjamin Franklin-

#9 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2097 posts

Also, as far as one "outshooting" the other, I myself don't shoot well enough to notice the difference.

#10 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 3606 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I used to shoot woodchuck in Illinois with a Ruger model No.1 in .223 rem. more than enuf gun, I don't know, does he want to save the pelts? What about Red fox? I have seen a fox shot with a .243 not much left...

#11 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 3606 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Nrlombar, what else to you plan on hunting with the new gun?

#12 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

If you plan on doing lots of shooting the price difference for ammo is pretty big. I have never looked into bulk ammo for a .243 but I know up here I can get a [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] of 500 .223 rounds and it comes to about 7.80 for a box of 20. I dont think I have seen any .243 shells for less than 20 dollars a box but like I said I havent looked to see if I can find bulk .243 ammo.

#13 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I didint know brick was a bad work.

#14 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

I only plan on hunting coyotes and other varmint with it. No where to hunt in Wisconsin so needing to shoot a deer isn't an issue. I would like to save pelts and am I plan on doing some target practice so a more economic round wouldn't hurt but I want to have some put down power. I don't want to injury coyotes I want to stop them dead in there tracks. Hav not looked to much into shooting fox becaus i have never seen any. I need to get dnr book to check out illinois regulations. Thanks for all of the help so far.

#15 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Also where I hunt I will never get a shot longer than 200 yards. I do enjoy shooting at the range and challenges of shooting long distances.

#16 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2097 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I probably shoot 100-125 rounds a year so I guess it doesn't really come into play for me.

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18106 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

The 223 will fill the bill for you for sure if deer is out of the question.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#18 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 3606 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I would go with the .223 and save some gas. .223 rem. has all the knock down power you need and it shoots fine @ 200 yards plus some! Ammo is cheap and you can buy it @ the Chinese supermarket! Now don't get me wrong, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in .223 Rem 55 GR. are around $27.00 a box. But you can get cheeper stuff.

#19 Eyemakecalls2

Eyemakecalls2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have both. The big difference is price for ammo and 100 grainer VS 77 grain max. I have a 4 inch group at 615 yards with my .223 and 77 grainer with a 1:8 twist. I trust it more at that range than I do the .243 Just because I have shot it more at that range more. Would I shoot a yote with it at 600 yrds nope 400 sure. My .223 is cheeper to shoot too. I will take the 243 places I won't take the .223 like hunting muley's or bear, never would I take the 223. [i]Tough question for me. If I was in a grab and go I wouid grab the .243
My three favorite calibers: .223, .308, 338 Lapua Mag.
I don't wound things, I kill things.
My site: www.predatorcalls4u.com please check it out. Thank you for letting me post.

#20 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Although i would love to hunt a bigger predator like a bear i just dont see.it in the forseeable future. It sounds like i should go with a .223 and go with some good ballistic bullets. this forum has been extremly helpful. Thank u everyone. Now i just need to get the .223 in the black friday rush...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users