• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Dicks is having a sale on Remington 700 for black Friday. I was planning on getting a .243 but local store does not have any in stock. Should I drive hour and Half to get .243 or should I just go to local store and get the .223 . I am planning on shooting varmint round out of each and not sure if I want to give up range of .243. Any thoughts?

#2 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I love my .243 Nothing wrong with the .223 as I have both but if I had to pick 1 it's .243 all the way.
I said I didn't want to fight, I didn't say I couldn't.

#3 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

My opinion a .223, unless I was going to hunt deer with it then a .243, but you are in Illinois and can't hunt deer with a rifle. How far you plan on shooting a coyote?, 400-500 yards? I can't even see that far lol, check into the price of .243 ammo and .223...
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. George Washington

#4 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

If you are going to shoot varmint rounds out of each If they have them I would maybe look into a 22-250 also. I have a .243 and they are a great round but If you look at the ballistics I think 22-250 with a 50 or 55gr bullets actually outshoots the .243 with a 55gr bullet. I also have and really like my .223 and it is a great cal to shoot and its also cheaper to shoot.

#5 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

My opinion a .223, unless I was going to hunt deer with it then a .243, but you are in Illinois and can't hunt deer with a rifle. How far you plan on shooting a coyote?, 400-500 yards? I can't even see that far lol, check into the price of .243 ammo and .223...

You can use a rifle but on coyotes only.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#6 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2165 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

The ballistics I've seen on 55 & 58 grain .243 are virtually identical to the 22-250. How many rounds to you have to shoot to justify the cost of ammo being the deciding factor?

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18661 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

The 22-250 w/ a 50 gr bullet will be about 1/2" flatter at 500yds than a 58gr Hornady (these are factory loadings) the 243 has it beat in retained energy though. It's true he can't shoot deer with either..in Illinois, what if he gets a chance to go elsewhere ?

http://www.hornady.c...enterSpread.pdf

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Message me if you would like me to make you a custom call.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#8 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 4048 posts

I was thinking he may want to go up to Wisconsin someday and shoot a deer, a 22-250 would be better for longer ranges, I like the .223, you can get ammo in just about any store.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. George Washington

#9 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2165 posts

Also, as far as one "outshooting" the other, I myself don't shoot well enough to notice the difference.

#10 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I used to shoot woodchuck in Illinois with a Ruger model No.1 in .223 rem. more than enuf gun, I don't know, does he want to save the pelts? What about Red fox? I have seen a fox shot with a .243 not much left...

#11 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Nrlombar, what else to you plan on hunting with the new gun?

#12 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

If you plan on doing lots of shooting the price difference for ammo is pretty big. I have never looked into bulk ammo for a .243 but I know up here I can get a [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] of 500 .223 rounds and it comes to about 7.80 for a box of 20. I dont think I have seen any .243 shells for less than 20 dollars a box but like I said I havent looked to see if I can find bulk .243 ammo.

#13 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I didint know brick was a bad work.

#14 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

I only plan on hunting coyotes and other varmint with it. No where to hunt in Wisconsin so needing to shoot a deer isn't an issue. I would like to save pelts and am I plan on doing some target practice so a more economic round wouldn't hurt but I want to have some put down power. I don't want to injury coyotes I want to stop them dead in there tracks. Hav not looked to much into shooting fox becaus i have never seen any. I need to get dnr book to check out illinois regulations. Thanks for all of the help so far.

#15 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Also where I hunt I will never get a shot longer than 200 yards. I do enjoy shooting at the range and challenges of shooting long distances.

#16 SHampton

SHampton

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 2165 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I probably shoot 100-125 rounds a year so I guess it doesn't really come into play for me.

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18661 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

The 223 will fill the bill for you for sure if deer is out of the question.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Message me if you would like me to make you a custom call.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#18 azpredatorhunter

azpredatorhunter

Just a member...

• Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I would go with the .223 and save some gas. .223 rem. has all the knock down power you need and it shoots fine @ 200 yards plus some! Ammo is cheap and you can buy it @ the Chinese supermarket! Now don't get me wrong, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in .223 Rem 55 GR. are around $27.00 a box. But you can get cheeper stuff.

#19 Eyemakecalls2

Eyemakecalls2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have both. The big difference is price for ammo and 100 grainer VS 77 grain max. I have a 4 inch group at 615 yards with my .223 and 77 grainer with a 1:8 twist. I trust it more at that range than I do the .243 Just because I have shot it more at that range more. Would I shoot a yote with it at 600 yrds nope 400 sure. My .223 is cheeper to shoot too. I will take the 243 places I won't take the .223 like hunting muley's or bear, never would I take the 223. [i]Tough question for me. If I was in a grab and go I wouid grab the .243
My three favorite calibers: .223, .308, 338 Lapua Mag.
I don't wound things, I kill things.
My site: www.predatorcalls4u.com please check it out. Thank you for letting me post.

#20 nrlombar

nrlombar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Although i would love to hunt a bigger predator like a bear i just dont see.it in the forseeable future. It sounds like i should go with a .223 and go with some good ballistic bullets. this forum has been extremly helpful. Thank u everyone. Now i just need to get the .223 in the black friday rush...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users