red fox calling tips

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blackdog

blackdog

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

My laying hens will not stay in their pen, they love to get bugs from the grass around the pen, however we have seen two taken away by red fox's, we have lost 20 hens to date. Can't set traps due to cats, so I would love to call them in. Any advice, I have only called coons, are fox the same? Help egg production is struggling.

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17614 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've called in a lot of fox using rabbit distress. You should have good luck with the same sounds you use for coons as well. Good luck, and take pics !

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

www.josephthomasfoundation.org   (take a look)

#3 blackdog

blackdog

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Does it matter if it is night or day?

#4 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6253 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

cage traps with eggs for bait......................

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men” Plato

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17614 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Good idea Mike !

As for calling them, no it wouldn't matter if it's night or day, be sure to check your state regulations though.

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

www.josephthomasfoundation.org   (take a look)

#6 blackdog

blackdog

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Do I break the eggs or leave them intact?

#7 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Bird distress like woodpecker or partridge works well, I would go with multiple traps and some calling in your case, based on the damage they are doin your birds.
Live Free or Die

#8 itzDirty

itzDirty

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 4951 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I do well with high pitch sounds..... Bird, bunny and rodent. Too much volume is number one mistake on foxes in my opinion. You don't have to blast them to death with volume. I back off on my volume (just a touch) when I have one coming in. I think you will have much better luck with fox from just before sundown to just after sun up. Check your regs on night hunting though. If you are in NY the regs vary from WMU, then county, then town. Check them twice as if you are hunting at night.... you will come across the lawman eventually.

#9 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 6253 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Do I break the eggs or leave them intact?

both, leave a couple unbroken and crack one over them, throw some chicken feathers in front of and inside of the cage trap. Hope you get the fox before the skunks..........

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men” Plato

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

#10 itzDirty

itzDirty

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 4951 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

:roflmao:

#11 itzDirty

itzDirty

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 4951 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

All you have to to is sneak up on the critter in the cage and yell hey real loud. Then you don't have to worry about him spraying you..... Tomato soup will take care of the rest. lol

#12 Paul-e

Paul-e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

At least, that's how they do it in Buffalo! Aint dat right Dirty?lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red, fox, calling, tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users