• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hi guys, Im picking up my Mossberg 935 on Saturday ( Happy Birthday to Myself present ) just wondering if anyone has used a shotgun with a holographic sight for night hunting. I plan on getting a barrel mounted red light , to use in combo with my buddys red spotlight. I'm wondering if the view of the red dot will be hard to see against the red glow. I dont want to go with a green dot, I just cant see it well in sunlight and the gun will be used for day and night hunting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Live Free or Die

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18085 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Happy Birthday Hellbilly1373 !

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#3 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6344 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Happy Birthday Hellbilly...Unfortunately I have no experience with that type of sight.

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men” Plato

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

#4 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys!
Live Free or Die

#5 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 2759 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

No idea. It doesn't seem like red on red would be good but since the light is usually not concentrated it might work just fine. You should find one from somebody you know and try it out. Let us know how it works.

#6 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

One time many years ago I was playing army and had to check the compass and map to see where were to go. I had a red filter on the flashlight and a normal map. To make a long story short I could not see the red line on the map that was where we were to go to and got learned up on my map reading. I think I would check out the red on red before putting too much money into it. I can not say it will work or not.

#7 BondCoCoyote

BondCoCoyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have a Halo-Sight mounted on an 870 Super mag. I use it mainly for deer hunting (in Illinois we have to use slugs) but have used it a little at night. It has an adjustable brightness setting that you can adjust extremely low for night time hunting. I used mine with a white light though.

"THE FOOD CHAIN ENDS HERE!"

#8 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Seems the feds didnt take as long to clear my purchase as I expected! Got my mossy 935 an hour ago, I am totally in love with this gun!

Attached Files

Live Free or Die

#9 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7717 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Looking real nice.

#10 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks hassell and stonegod, I put the holo sight on it, gonna pattern it this weekend and see what it does at night with the lights. Hopefully there will be some fur down at the end of the weekend. Unfortunately I cant night hunt till fall in NH, but the early morning and evening critters are in for it!
Live Free or Die

#11 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

I have my first one on an ar-15 in 50 beowulf and need it. The 50 is a hand full and I plan on hunting with it this fall. Max. range is 200 yds. due to bullet drop. It is about the only thing that will not give scope bite, the recoil is not bat and does not hurt but, the push is heavy. No sore arm it is just a big push.

#12 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

Congrats and Happy Birthday ! Nice looking rig you have there. Enjoy and good luck.

FIGHT !!!!

#13 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 2759 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Why hasn't your ceiling caved in from those huge weights you have hanging from it :look:

#14 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Why hasn't your ceiling caved in from those huge weights you have hanging from it :look:

Haha! [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] ceiling fan!
Live Free or Die

#15 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Haha! [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] ceiling fan!
Live Free or Die

#16 220swift

220swift

Old Guys Rule

• Members
  • 6344 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Very nice rig. You will enjoy!!!!!!

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men” Plato

Iowan by birth,

Coloradan by the grace of God

(just can't deny those Rocky Mountains)

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

#17 Hellbilly1373

Hellbilly1373

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well, no fur down this past weekend. I spent alot of time paterning the mossy on Saturday and came to the conclusion that I really didn't need the holo sight on it at all. It seemed to just be in the way of my total field of view, and the stock sights on it work just fine and are plenty bright enough for night shooting. I planned on hunting Sunday, but my daughter had plans for my birthday so there was no time to go out. I did however find a good spot for calling that was saturated with coyote, coon, possum, and deer sign, so that worked out. I'm really happy about the way the gun shoots and handles, its going to make for a very efficient predator stacker. Thanks for all the input and the Happy Birthdys guys.
Live Free or Die

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: holographic sight, night hunting, shotgun sights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users