• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aftercat

Aftercat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

All I have ever seen is a fox in the spotlight but I have heard that coyotes foxes and bob cats eye color is different when spotlighted is that true or am I that fool for be leaving them

#2 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is referred to as "eye shine" and yes all animals are a bit different and it also depends a lot on what color light you're using.

There are a few charts online... but none accurate enough for my own taste. From my experience with doing a good bit of night hunting under a red light:

Coyote - Deep red . Not necessarily the brightest of predator eyes. Fox and bobcat shine a lot brighter IMO.

Bobcat - Green / Greenish gold

Mountain Lion - Green / Greenish Gold

Deer - White / Silver

I understand this is a question of curiosity, but I think as hunters we should remember to treat all eye colors the same because you cannot positively identify a target by eye color alone... only by getting a complete view of the entire animal. :smile:

#3 Scotty D.

Scotty D.

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I've used green (yellow-green, not emerald green) & I can tell if they're yote eyes right away w/ that color...They're brighter than deer (as opposed to red)--might have something to do w/ the light receptors in their retina as to which colors reflect the brightest...(Green light looks almost white to yotes, red is more subdued on the canine spectrum)

Don't know about bobcats, though...Feral cats are really bright, w/ this color, too

I agree w/ Chris on the red light--yote eyes don't seem to reflect back as much w/ that color..Probably cuz red isn't picked up as well (as opposed to green) by the human eye :teeth:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
— Thomas Jefferson

#4 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2838 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

I can tell you when I use a red light.....all their eyes are red :teeth:

#5 PaYoteDuster

PaYoteDuster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

You can't tell by color. Width between eyes, height of eyes and the way the animal approaches is how I tell between species.
Live Action

#6 yotecatslayer34

yotecatslayer34

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

" Width between eyes, height of eyes and the way the animal approaches is how I tell between species. " + 1 All very good ways I differ from one animal to another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users