39 replies to this topic

#1 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Recently I have been getting more and more irritated with my bi-pod so I decided to make a set of shooting sticks. I looked at a few online and saw one I liked and just happened to have the materials laying around the house. This is what I came up with.

Attached File  109_1734.JPG   2.12MB   20 downloads

Attached File  109_1737.JPG   2.21MB   14 downloads

I don't want Don yelling at me for not posting pics when I do get a coyote so I figured I would use this opportunity to learn how to post pics.
“We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

Albert Einstein

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17661 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Nice pics Mick.....And despite your stubborness I MADE you learn something....YOUR WELCOME !!

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

www.josephthomasfoundation.org   (take a look)

#3 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17661 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

What did you make the legs out of ?

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

#4 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Nice pics Mick.....And despite your stubborness I MADE you learn something....YOUR WELCOME !!

Yes you did, 2 things today actually! Thank you very much! The legs are made from fiberglass rods that came off an old damaged pop-up blind. Almost threw them out last year when we moved, glad I didn't.
“We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

Albert Einstein

#5 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7334 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Good looking sticks, Congrats. on a learning day!! HA!!!

#6 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

They look great Mick !

FIGHT !!!!

#7 CledusP

CledusP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

How do you keep the para cord from sliding?

#8 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

The cord is cinched down tight enough that it would take some force to slide them. However when I melted the ends to keep them from fraying, I heated up the rubber caps too and they are fused together so to speak.

Albert Einstein

#9 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well I shot off the new sticks today. I like them A LOT better than the bi-pods! Windage was perfect but I was hitting about 1.5" high. A few clicks later and I was back on the X.

Albert Einstein

#10 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Those did turn out great. I have a pair but may make some shorter ones like that. Great idea Mick.

FIGHT !!!!

#11 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thank you. I have two more rods and a ton of para cord so I was thinking of making another set to use as a back up. They are kinda long so I'm going to trim them down a hair, then they'll be perfect.

Albert Einstein

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17661 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Better to long than to short !

#13 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17661 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

That's what she said !

#14 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

But short and thick does the trick!

Albert Einstein

#15 fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

equal opportunity critter killer

• Members
  • 2623 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I did the same thing with some spare arrow shafts I had sitting around. They were really too short to be usefull to me. I took some poles from an old tent but they really aren't stiff enough. Still working out all the details of what I really want along with portability/ease of carry.

#16 itzDirty

itzDirty

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 4955 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I used 1/2" doll rod. Light and sturdy enough for me.

#17 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I just cut some 1inch by 1 inch wood stakes put a bolt through them and drilled holes in the bottom to glue some nails in the rapped them in white and black hockey tape to keep them from scratching my gun and to some what work as camo. I recomend some type of a spike in the bottom for grip. Nothing ticks you off more than if you set up on some ice or something and as you are going to shoot a leg slips out. I also would rather have my sticks to long than to short. If you need them lower just spread the legs more and then you still have enough length for if you set up on a steep hill or can put them on a angel if you have uneven ground. I also sometimes put a short cord on my sticks with a clip that I can hook on my belt loops. If you ever end up with multiple kills you have to drag back to the truck the less things you have to have in your hands the better. I can fit my calls in my pockets along with my drag rope and my rifle has a sling and spare amo on my gun. My hands are then free when Im walking.

#18 C2C

C2C

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I used the same trick as mentioned with the arrow shafts as already mentioned .. I used full length uncut ,aluminims with rubber blunts slid over ends and lashed to gether with heavy rubber bands . Works great for sitting or prone as I can slide the bands to any height . I never shoot from standing so their short length is not an issue . Very lightweight .

#19 Scotty D.

Scotty D.

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

So, Mick--- the paracord is the actual "hinge"??? (Very nice design, BTW) :teeth:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
— Thomas Jefferson

#20 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Scotty- Thank you, I wish I could take credit for the design but I stole it from a picture online. Yes the paracord acts as the hinge. Once I braided down as far as I wanted to go I started braiding up the other stick using the same piece of cord. Its nice because the cord cradles the barrel perfectly and its quiet.

Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users