11 replies to this topic

#1 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

In Michigan, we are stuck with rimfires for night hunting. I've taken some hay hogs with the .17 HMR but used the V-Max bullets. I'm thinking that controlled expansion bullets like the 20-grain Hornady XTPs would be best for yotes. Shots will be 150 yads or less. Any suggestions for the best medicine would be appreciated.

#2 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

Accuracy in mine is about the same with both Glen. Haven't shot any yotes with it though. I like the 20gr. XTP's for groundhogs and coons. Pretty devastating IMO. Wish I could be of better help.

FIGHT !!!!

#3 Kansascaller

Kansascaller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'll be following along here as I would like to pick up a 17hmr. My only concern is the knock down of the 17HMR on coyotes and at to what distance. Im sure of my shot placement and my own capabilities. Plus the Kansas winds are pretty fierce at times. So come on fella's chime in here and give your two cents! LOL!!!

#4 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18016 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

17 HMR 17 gr. V-MAX 83170 (2550/245) (1901/136) (1378/72 )– – – -1.5 0 -8.5 – – –

V

17 HMR 20 gr. XTP 83172( 2375/250) (1776/140) (1304/75) – – – -1.5 0 -9.9 – – –

The numbers in parentheses are muzzle-100 and 200yd velocity and energy listing from the Hornady website.
There really isn't much difference, as you can see. I'd say that a 150yd shot on a coyote is definitly pushing the outer limits of the cartridges capabilities.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18016 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'll be following along here as I would like to pick up a 17hmr. My only concern is the knock down of the 17HMR on coyotes and at to what distance. Im sure of my shot placement and my own capabilities. Plus the Kansas winds are pretty fierce at times. So come on fella's chime in here and give your two cents! LOL!!!

Wind drift is an achillies heel for the 17HMR in a 10 MPH wind the latteral drift is 3.3 inches at 100yds and 8 inches at 150yds. That is a lot of drift at such short ranges.

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#6 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Normally, I wouldn't hunt in high winds but they usually die down each evening here. I realize the wimp factor with the .17 HMR but I traded it for a Marlin .22 Mag auto-loader that wouldn't shoot. The Savage .17 is crazy good with any ammo I've tried including 17-grain V-Max, 20-grain XTP and 20-grain FMJs. I realize head shots will work, but it's not always practical. Just wondering how good the XTPs would be on lung shots and if they'd punch through.

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18016 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yeah I remember those windy days back there. They suck the same as they do here for hunting, the cold doesn't bite you here though.
Can you use FMJ's there ? Tom should be able to give you penetration results of the 20gr XTP on woodchucks.

Tree Branch Calls

#8 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

They should penetrate vitals no problem. They are still pretty frangible no matter what. They will however make a mess out of the lungs and heart ! I don't think I'd try the headshot with the .17.

FIGHT !!!!

#9 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yeah I remember those windy days back there. They suck the same as they do here for hunting, the cold doesn't bite you here though.
Can you use FMJ's there ? Tom should be able to give you penetration results of the 20gr XTP on woodchucks.

There's no rule against FMJs. I used some for long-range squirrels and poked holes through them just fine. It might be the ticket for drilling a yote. Geez, I hate these rimfire rules.

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18016 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'd stick with the XTP's. I don't blame you for hating the rimfire rules one bit.

Tree Branch Calls

#11 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

When I am elected Govenor, I'll make it legal to hunt varmints with centerfires at night, as long as the hunter is in an elevated blind. That's my platform, so to speak.

#12 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

Sweet ! I'll be honest though Glen. In my area the parcels are small and farms are much closer together. A centerfire at night here in the wrong hands may be ugly. I'm totally with you on the whole rimfire thing believe me, but some areas need to stay that way unfortunately. Way too many idiots flinging lead around me.

FIGHT !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users