17 replies to this topic

#1 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

There is a chance I will get to go bobcat hunting for the first time. If I go it will be in northern Michigan. From what I have read it sounds like I should use a distress call and thats what I was planning on using. What else should I know? I wont have time to scout but I have been told that bobcats have been seen quite often by deer hunters. What type of terrain would be best? The property is mostly hardwoods with some tag alders swales and balsam stands. Part of a huge cedar swamp is on the property too. I will be using a shotgun and would like to know size shot to use. I will only have one morning to hunt so please give me any advice or tips you can think of. Thanks in advance!
“We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

Albert Einstein

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

I always carry 000 or 0000 buck but they pattern well in my BPS, and I'm also never sure if a yote will show. I'd advise using shot of at least bb size that pattern well in your gun. As for terrain, you would probably be better off with advice from someone in that area. Here i see them most in rocky areas.

Edited by youngdon, 13 January 2012 - 06:43 PM.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#3 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

There are guys that are a LOT more qualified than myself on this site, so I will only tell you the most basic stuff that I know to be true.

1) Sit as still as possible....

2) Bring some glass... and glass slowly around ALL edges before you move. Cats can popup anywhere.

3) Be patient, and call longer than you normally would. I give a cat at least an hour in the daylight.... but they get the normal 15-20 mins at night. (see #2)

4) I like to stick with bird sounds... with Woodpecker distress being my fav.

As for the shotgun - shoot whatever you want, but just make sure you've patterned the gun. Otherwise you might just end up disappointed because of a botched shot.

Location: I cannot even begin to tell you. Like Don said, someone local would know best. I hear guys preaching rock outcroppings and dry washes but out here in my area (8500 ft, in the Rocky Mountains) I mainly see cats in wooded areas... forest and the like. They don't follow terrain features... they just blow right thru the middle of the woods, walk along roads, etc. I've yet to find cat sign in the most popular "cat areas" that other guys talk about. Not out here anyway....

Good luck and keep us posted!

#4 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Well I went out bobcat hunting for the first time. I must say, it felt alot like yote hunting. I sit there for a few hours thnking about how cold I am and after not seeing anything I leave empty handed. But hey, I was out hunting and not at work!
“We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

Albert Einstein

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

One thing is exactly the same no matter what animal you hunt...you can't do it from the couch.. Good for you for getting out there. And I'll bet you learned at least one thing.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#6 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

It was nice being out in the middle of the woods. Where I usually hunt you can always some form of civilization(kids,pets,traffic,etc). Out there I couldnt hear anything but mother nature, It was awesome! I cant wait to be invited back.

Albert Einstein

#7 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Good luck Mick. It's brutally cold out here by Lansing. 12 degree's with a 25MPH winds. BRRRR ! Good luck and stay warm

FIGHT !!!!

#8 Predatorhunter

Predatorhunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work! At least you were out there.
"Until the lion writes it's own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter"

#9 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

M-105---My good Buddy from Alford Texas called and shot his first Bobcat this Afternoon---Was he excided called as soon as he shot it---nice spotted female 20lbs----70 degrees their----10below right now here[u.p. Mqt}-------sb
CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#10 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Swampbuck congrats to your buddy. I cant wait to experience that thrill. It was in the single digits here last night and is in the teens now but I wouldn't trade it for their 70's in Texas. I love this weather and it took too long to get here this year.

Bones Im only an hour or so east of ya and we had that same wind. It will be a couple weeks before I get out again . Hopefully we still have snow then!

Albert Einstein

#11 coyote_killer208

coyote_killer208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Most of the bobcats i have seen have been in two different areas. Big wood piles like where farmers have cleared out a section of land for a new field and piled up everything into a massive pile and have let it sit for a few years the other places are in small to medium pockets of scrub brush and trees still left in fields the thicker the better.
" Life is hard, Its even harder when your stupid." - John Wayne -

#12 Beets

Beets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

I live in southern Indiana and bobcats are not allowed to be hunted. But every time I am out yote hunting I call one in and they seem to like the thick brushy fince rows and thick wood line here. The last 4 times I hunted my buddy's deer farm a bobcat comes right in. Last Sunday I had a yote and bobcat in at the same time it's interesting watch the difference in the two. Bobcat was way more stealth and the yote was balls to the wall after my decoy
"Better to be under estimated then over estimated"

#13 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Beets, are you guys allowed to trap them? A true bummer if not!

Albert Einstein

#14 Beets

Beets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Nope bobcats are considered an endangered specie in Indiana. I wish we could. It would make a nice mount to add to the collection in the house already

#15 Beets

Beets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Last fall the first time I called one in it appeared 10 feet from me on the trail. It scared the $@!t out of me.

#16 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

My first year turkey hunting I had a bobcat come within 10 feet of me too. I felt a presence so to speak and turned my head. There he was standing a few feet away just staring at me. Needless to say it scared the $@!t out of me too. I never heard him come in. When he took off he didnt make a sound. My dad told me that was a sign to quit calling because I sounded like a dying turkey. I tried selling him on how real I must have sounded to fool a bobcat into walking inches from me. I dont think it worked!

Albert Einstein

#17 skintbackhc

skintbackhc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

wounded turkey should be fine for turkey hunting, as other turkeys will gang up and kill a wounded one.

in my experience, bobcats are very habitual with their movements. i have seen them for years while deer hunting and the same one will come out at the same time in the same place all season. this is the first year i decided to shoot one. i had watched him on several occasions and on the last weekend of the season i planned to kill him. well the him turned out to be a her because on the last weekend when she came out running there was a bigger cat chasing behind her. so he died instead. i say all that to say, go out and hike, look for scat, prints, etc. then pick a good time and bag him. i've never had to use a call to see plenty of cats, but i may get one for some yote hunting during the "off" season. may not be that way everywhere, but it is down here. good luck.

#18 Mick105

Mick105

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

The problem I have with scouting is I live 2.5-3 hours away from bobcat territory. That particular property was a one time hunt unfortunatly. I will keep these tips in mind if I ever get the opportunity to hunt there again or anywhere that has cats.

Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users