- - - - -

When to call bobcats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hurstie12

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

I would like to know when is the best time to hunt bobcat? I do a lot of night hunting and some hunting at dawn and dusk for coyotes. I just want to know when i should try calling for bobcat

#2 youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 19286 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

Dawn and dusk will certainly work, if they are there. I've called more of them in the AM hours.

Edited by youngdon, 31 December 2011 - 06:45 AM.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#3 Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2702 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

Any time you can! I don't do any night hunting but I have called them in during all hours of the day. Dawn an dusk does seem to be a little more productive. Just be patient and still. I've had em come in within a few minutes or up to 30 minutes before they were even spotted. Good luck.

#4 catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2611 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I callin/kill most of my cats between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. when I hunt the end of the first quarter moon and the start of the last quarter moon.

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#5 HowlinRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Like Ruger said, any time you can. I'm sure there better times than others,but with cats I have found there is no set times at all. The last one I called in was at 12 noon and that was after hunting all morning. You just never know. I feel just as good about the last call of the day as I do about the first. That's why I like hunting them.

Good luck with your hunting and welcome to PT!

#6 Hurstie12

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the advice im going out next weekend for them what about calls what should i try calling them with?

#7 Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2702 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I do good on both jackrabbit and cottontail. I have even called one in on coyote pup distress. I know alot of people do well on bird sounds.

#8 Eyemakecalls2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ruger nailed it "patients". I have called them it bright sun/mid day with the open call doing pup distress too. But, I get the best result with the higher pitched rabbit distress/Cottontails closed reeds. I hunt them just outside Salinas in Monterey county. It is waist height brush. They tend to stay in the brush and wait at the trail-heads right where the dirt roads cross the trails. So look close before you get up and give up. One might be looking right at you.
My three favorite calibers: .223, .308, 338 Lapua Mag.
I don't wound things, I kill things.
My site: www.predatorcalls4u.com please check it out. Thank you for letting me post.

#9 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

I love to call them up at night.... It's just so much easier with a spotlight. No telling how many cats I've called in the daylight and never even caught a glimpse of. Daytime calling for cats really tests my patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users