When to call bobcats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hurstie12

Hurstie12

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

I would like to know when is the best time to hunt bobcat? I do a lot of night hunting and some hunting at dawn and dusk for coyotes. I just want to know when i should try calling for bobcat

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

Dawn and dusk will certainly work, if they are there. I've called more of them in the AM hours.

Edited by youngdon, 31 December 2011 - 06:45 AM.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#3 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

Any time you can! I don't do any night hunting but I have called them in during all hours of the day. Dawn an dusk does seem to be a little more productive. Just be patient and still. I've had em come in within a few minutes or up to 30 minutes before they were even spotted. Good luck.

#4 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2195 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I callin/kill most of my cats between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. when I hunt the end of the first quarter moon and the start of the last quarter moon.

:pawprint:

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#5 HowlinRed

HowlinRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Like Ruger said, any time you can. I'm sure there better times than others,but with cats I have found there is no set times at all. The last one I called in was at 12 noon and that was after hunting all morning. You just never know. I feel just as good about the last call of the day as I do about the first. That's why I like hunting them.

Good luck with your hunting and welcome to PT!

#6 Hurstie12

Hurstie12

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the advice im going out next weekend for them what about calls what should i try calling them with?

#7 Ruger

Ruger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I do good on both jackrabbit and cottontail. I have even called one in on coyote pup distress. I know alot of people do well on bird sounds.

#8 Eyemakecalls2

Eyemakecalls2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

H12,
Ruger nailed it "patients". I have called them it bright sun/mid day with the open call doing pup distress too. But, I get the best result with the higher pitched rabbit distress/Cottontails closed reeds. I hunt them just outside Salinas in Monterey county. It is waist height brush. They tend to stay in the brush and wait at the trail-heads right where the dirt roads cross the trails. So look close before you get up and give up. One might be looking right at you.
My three favorite calibers: .223, .308, 338 Lapua Mag.
I don't wound things, I kill things.
My site: www.predatorcalls4u.com please check it out. Thank you for letting me post.

#9 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

I love to call them up at night.... It's just so much easier with a spotlight. No telling how many cats I've called in the daylight and never even caught a glimpse of. Daytime calling for cats really tests my patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users