.243 Good coyote gun??

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Coyote Joe Dittmer

Coyote Joe Dittmer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

I want to get a remington model 700 .243 good bad? or should i get savage axis?

#2 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

If this is any help watch it, its a .243 Try that with the other varmint calibers.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#3 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

I want to get a remington model 700 .243 good bad? or should i get savage axis?

Welcome to PT Joe, the .243 is a fantastic round, get one and enjoy!

Matt

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#4 Patty

Patty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

I bought a 700 SPS Dm about a month ago.... In .243.... I love it.... aparently the new X trigger isn't supposed to have any of the old issues... i backed mine off to about 2 pounds and tried everything i could think of to make it go off without me actually pulling the trigger an all seems fine.... I shoot 55gr ballistic silvertips under an inch out of the box...
I don't shoot innocent animals.... Just the ones that look guilty....

#5 PAcoyotehunter

PAcoyotehunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

i got a camo savage xp .243 and i love it i use the 58gr v max bullets does a awesome job

#6 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I use a savage .243 for my long range groundhog gun here in PA, and it shoots flawlessly for up to 500 yards is around the most i ever shot but i can imagine if it can hit a groundhog at 100-500 yards with no problems then i can imagine that if you get a heavier grain bullet (i use 58 grain) it would be enought to knock down a coyote

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#7 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

58gr Vmax will have lots of knockdown power for coyotes. I have a .243 but its a tikka M55. I also have a savage axis in 22-250 and it is a very good gun also. I am now shooting a savage modle 10 pred in .223 and I love it. It also comes in .243 but if you are on a budget its pretty tough to beat the axis. Go to your store and shoulder some rifles and see what feels best.

#8 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Your right the 58 gr v-max i shoot for varmint does have a lot of speed and energy behind it and would be enough

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#9 itzDirty

itzDirty

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5018 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I shoot a .243 with the 80gr GMX. I think both of those guns are nice so I can't help ya there.

#10 Scotty D.

Scotty D.

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

.243 is a great all -round weapon....Excellent choice....58 gr kill yotes in DRT style (Dead Right There!!! ) Where the heavier bullets come into play is at the yardages where the .243 really comes into a class of it's own-- 500+yds...& the vid of the 1017yd yote falling of the cliff is testimony of the .243's capabilities.. (Every time I watch that 1017 yd. yote fall, I keep thinking of the cartoon Wile E. Coyote falling off the cliff -- usually followed by a huge boulder ) :smile:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
— Thomas Jefferson

#11 ReidRH

ReidRH

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

I shoot a 243 and have for years, Remington 766 yeah I know its old School but i am comfortable shooting it out to 500 yards given the chance and I have killed at least One Coyote at 500 yrds with it. Around here it is very rare to get a shot like that and I really didnt have a clue it would Kill him at that distance but it put the Smackdown on him!

Blessed More than I Deserve!  

#12 Not_Fur_Friendly

Not_Fur_Friendly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

.243 is a great round. Very versitile. I love mine and it blows the crap out of coyotes. I have a Rem 660. I also have a pair of 700s in different calibers and you cant really go wrong with the 700 action. That being said, Savage makes a great rifle and it cost a bit less. I am a Remington guy but if I came accross a Savage in the caliber I was looking for, I would scoop it up. I have owned Savages in the past but the last one I had was traded along with a little cash for a 700 BDL Custom Deluxe.

"Happiness is a warm gun"

#13 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

The .243 is indeed a good choice for coyotes. I haven't talked to anyone who are using the Nosler 55 grain ballistic tips for coyotes, so I don't know what they are getting for fur damage. For the most part I like to stick with bullets not advertised as "varmint" bullets. The bullets designed for hunting deer work well though. A lot of guys are having good luck with Savage rifles, and they do shoot accurately right out of the box. I prefer Remington 700 CDL myself because Remington's cheaper models have junky stocks. The CDL will hold it's resale value longer than Savage I think, but that is only my own personal feeling.
http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com
If you call em in close, you won't need that dang range finder gizmo.

#14 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17927 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Attached File  hillside yotes and fox 013.jpg   935.5KB   7 downloadsI shoot the 55gr Noslers and have not had an exit on a body shot. I did shoot one in the head and had a small exit hole behind his ear. He's giving you the stink eye !

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#15 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Now that is what I call a bug eyed coyote! Goog shooting YounDon!

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17927 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

There were years of coyote knowledge oozing out on the ground...it was like brain pudding. I tried to get sos1inmesa to drink it, telling him that he would gain that knowledge and be as smart as any coyote........He wasn't buying it !

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#17 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

"There were years of coyote knowledge oozing out on the ground...it was like brain pudding. I tried to get sos1inmesa to drink it, telling him that he would gain that knowledge and be as smart as any coyote........He wasn't buying it "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a feller over on the New Huntmasters board that sure could use some of that juice. :teeth:

#18 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well....great shot on that bug eyed yote Don! and i dont think i would have bought it either but whatever makes you sleep at night pal!

#19 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2320 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Dang not another stink eye! Hate when that happens----so did he LOL
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#20 best defense

best defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

I use a 243. If you don't care about the hide, it is a great choice. They shoot fairly flat out to 200 yards, and not much more drop at 300. I started by using 80 grain bullets, then 70 grain bullets. Right now, I am trying a load with Hornaday 58 grain bullets.
There are literally dozens of different loads for the 243. The only catch is they will leave a rip where the bullet exits the body, and they all exit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users