.243 Good coyote gun??

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Coyote Joe Dittmer

Coyote Joe Dittmer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

I want to get a remington model 700 .243 good bad? or should i get savage axis?

#2 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2476 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

If this is any help watch it, its a .243 Try that with the other varmint calibers.
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#3 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6875 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

I want to get a remington model 700 .243 good bad? or should i get savage axis?

Welcome to PT Joe, the .243 is a fantastic round, get one and enjoy!

Matt

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com/

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#4 Patty

Patty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

I bought a 700 SPS Dm about a month ago.... In .243.... I love it.... aparently the new X trigger isn't supposed to have any of the old issues... i backed mine off to about 2 pounds and tried everything i could think of to make it go off without me actually pulling the trigger an all seems fine.... I shoot 55gr ballistic silvertips under an inch out of the box...
I don't shoot innocent animals.... Just the ones that look guilty....

#5 PAcoyotehunter

PAcoyotehunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

i got a camo savage xp .243 and i love it i use the 58gr v max bullets does a awesome job

#6 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I use a savage .243 for my long range groundhog gun here in PA, and it shoots flawlessly for up to 500 yards is around the most i ever shot but i can imagine if it can hit a groundhog at 100-500 yards with no problems then i can imagine that if you get a heavier grain bullet (i use 58 grain) it would be enought to knock down a coyote

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#7 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

58gr Vmax will have lots of knockdown power for coyotes. I have a .243 but its a tikka M55. I also have a savage axis in 22-250 and it is a very good gun also. I am now shooting a savage modle 10 pred in .223 and I love it. It also comes in .243 but if you are on a budget its pretty tough to beat the axis. Go to your store and shoulder some rifles and see what feels best.

#8 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Your right the 58 gr v-max i shoot for varmint does have a lot of speed and energy behind it and would be enough

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

#9 Rick Howard

Rick Howard

Major Contributor

• Members
  • 5495 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I shoot a .243 with the 80gr GMX. I think both of those guns are nice so I can't help ya there.
Formerly itzDirty

#10 Scotty D.

Scotty D.

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

.243 is a great all -round weapon....Excellent choice....58 gr kill yotes in DRT style (Dead Right There!!! ) Where the heavier bullets come into play is at the yardages where the .243 really comes into a class of it's own-- 500+yds...& the vid of the 1017yd yote falling of the cliff is testimony of the .243's capabilities.. (Every time I watch that 1017 yd. yote fall, I keep thinking of the cartoon Wile E. Coyote falling off the cliff -- usually followed by a huge boulder ) :smile:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
— Thomas Jefferson

#11 ReidRH

ReidRH

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

I shoot a 243 and have for years, Remington 766 yeah I know its old School but i am comfortable shooting it out to 500 yards given the chance and I have killed at least One Coyote at 500 yrds with it. Around here it is very rare to get a shot like that and I really didnt have a clue it would Kill him at that distance but it put the Smackdown on him!

Blessed More than I Deserve!  

#12 Not_Fur_Friendly

Not_Fur_Friendly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

.243 is a great round. Very versitile. I love mine and it blows the crap out of coyotes. I have a Rem 660. I also have a pair of 700s in different calibers and you cant really go wrong with the 700 action. That being said, Savage makes a great rifle and it cost a bit less. I am a Remington guy but if I came accross a Savage in the caliber I was looking for, I would scoop it up. I have owned Savages in the past but the last one I had was traded along with a little cash for a 700 BDL Custom Deluxe.

"Happiness is a warm gun"

#13 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

The .243 is indeed a good choice for coyotes. I haven't talked to anyone who are using the Nosler 55 grain ballistic tips for coyotes, so I don't know what they are getting for fur damage. For the most part I like to stick with bullets not advertised as "varmint" bullets. The bullets designed for hunting deer work well though. A lot of guys are having good luck with Savage rifles, and they do shoot accurately right out of the box. I prefer Remington 700 CDL myself because Remington's cheaper models have junky stocks. The CDL will hold it's resale value longer than Savage I think, but that is only my own personal feeling.
http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com
If you call em in close, you won't need that dang range finder gizmo.

#14 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 19596 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Attached File  hillside yotes and fox 013.jpg   935.5KB   7 downloadsI shoot the 55gr Noslers and have not had an exit on a body shot. I did shoot one in the head and had a small exit hole behind his ear. He's giving you the stink eye !

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#15 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Now that is what I call a bug eyed coyote! Goog shooting YounDon!

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 19596 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

There were years of coyote knowledge oozing out on the ground...it was like brain pudding. I tried to get sos1inmesa to drink it, telling him that he would gain that knowledge and be as smart as any coyote........He wasn't buying it !

Tree Branch Calls

If you use them  they will come

Facebook @ TreeBranch Woodcrafts

Send me a PM if you'd like a call made just for you

I can make you a call out of most old shell casings as a souvenir of a special hunt, a first kill etc.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

Mr. Coyote says, you can trap me, snare me, shoot me, cage me, chase me, just don't EVER swat me. I'll bite you...twice if you taste like a yooper !

#17 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

"There were years of coyote knowledge oozing out on the ground...it was like brain pudding. I tried to get sos1inmesa to drink it, telling him that he would gain that knowledge and be as smart as any coyote........He wasn't buying it "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a feller over on the New Huntmasters board that sure could use some of that juice. :teeth:

#18 All-Around-Outdoorsman

All-Around-Outdoorsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well....great shot on that bug eyed yote Don! and i dont think i would have bought it either but whatever makes you sleep at night pal!

#19 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2476 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Dang not another stink eye! Hate when that happens----so did he LOL
A man convinced against his will is NOT convinced.
Speak FACT, not conviction.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down YOUR life for his country.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they
try to take it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

#20 best defense

best defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

I use a 243. If you don't care about the hide, it is a great choice. They shoot fairly flat out to 200 yards, and not much more drop at 300. I started by using 80 grain bullets, then 70 grain bullets. Right now, I am trying a load with Hornaday 58 grain bullets.
There are literally dozens of different loads for the 243. The only catch is they will leave a rip where the bullet exits the body, and they all exit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users