• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dusty123

dusty123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Planning to buy a new .22 rifle, does anyone have any ideas on what is the most accurate in semi auto, bolt or lever action without breaking the bank?

#2 knapper

knapper

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:49 PM

The ruger 10/22 is about the best you can get and make mods when you have the money. Add a heavy barrel and other parts and it will shoot better than most. The other extreme is a target rifle that is expensive and heavy, with a much higher price tag.

#3 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

Savage with the accutrigger. I own several and for the money they are phenomenal. Warranty and customer service have a great track record too.

FIGHT !!!!

#4 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2068 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

YUP!!!! ONLY THE BEST SAVAGE ACC/TRI BOLT ACTION--THAT DOESN'T BREAK THE BANK-------sb
CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#5 Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Marlin 981T.

#6 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

I would prob go with the savage its pretty tough to go wronge. But I well also add that some of the most accurate 22lr's I have shot have been the old single shot coey's. It didnt seem to matter if they were used every day or if you had it behind the seat of the truck all winter you could pull it out go shoot gophers and they were still spot on every time.

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Marlin 981T.

Welcome to the forum Chet punisher.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use 'em, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

I would prob go with the savage its pretty tough to go wronge. But I well also add that some of the most accurate 22lr's I have shot have been the old single shot coey's. It didnt seem to matter if they were used every day or if you had it behind the seat of the truck all winter you could pull it out go shoot gophers and they were still spot on every time.

coeys ??

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#9 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Savage is a good way to go.

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

I've heard real good things about the Anschutz and the cz rifles as well.. I think they are a little pricey though.

Edited by youngdon, 29 October 2011 - 06:21 PM.

Tree Branch Calls

#11 Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Hi Youngdon.

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hi Chet, I hope you got the info you were looking for. If not let me know if i can help.
How is everything in the land of Don Quixote ?

Edited by youngdon, 29 October 2011 - 07:49 PM.

Tree Branch Calls

#13 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1149 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

sorry its cooey Im a terible speller. I think almost every farmer around here has one. The are old single shots and a lot of them arepretty stiff and rusty but they still shoot like a dream.

#14 Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

What info was that? And West Michigan got a little dusting last night.

#15 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

Sorry I had a brain fart... I thought you were the OP on this thread for a minute.

Tree Branch Calls

#16 singlesix

singlesix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

I have two friends that have Henry .22 lever actions and they are acurate. You can put a scope on them if you wish also. My buddy was hitting rabbits at 60-75 yds easy.

Im a little pissed at the country right now

#17 dusty123

dusty123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks, Bought a Marlin 795ss and love it. got a cheap tasco pronghorn 3-9x40 on it and its deadly

#18 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18256 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

That's like a magazine fed model 60 I believe. Good choice.

Tree Branch Calls

#19 coyotehunter25

coyotehunter25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

i have a savage 64f and love it

#20 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

Most .22 rimfires will deliver good accuracy. Look at some of the older bolt actions made by Marlin or Mossberg, etc, when they used real walnut for everyday working guns. You can pick them up for $100 or so. If you are a bit handy, you can restore them without worry of devaluing them.

To squeeze the most accuracy from any of them, here are two suggestions:

1) Get lots of .22 ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot. Don't overlook standard velocity ammo, either. My personal choice has been Lapua Master L (the "L" is for large, as in bullet diameter.) Extremely accurate and I love the smell of the Eley primer compound. No matter what .22 I shoot, the Lapua ammo always shines at the bench.

2) Make sure to use a genuine .22 rimfire scope. Some people make the mistake of mounting a typical 1-inch tube scope made for high-power guns. The trouble is parallax, which is particularly noticeable at the shorter ranges a .22 is used. On the other hand, a .22 scope - and, not the kind with the tube diameter of a drinking straw - has the parallax (focal plane) set at distances of 50 yards or so. Scopes with adjustable parallax (AO - adjustable objective lens) are good, if you don't mind a little more expense and bulk.

My personal favorite is a Marlin 39A lever gun. It has the look and feel of Marlin's big bores, takes down easily, and is as accurate as any I have used.

Ditto on the Ruger 10/22. Relatively inexpensive, quick handling, semi-auto and can be as accurate as your wallet allows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users