• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chasetexas22

chasetexas22

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum, and have a few broad questions about attempting to call in a mountain lion. I am going hunting toward the end of this year in Terrell County, TX where there is a dense mountain lion population. I would rather focus my efforts on calling a lion in rather than deer. I have read quite a few stories and tried to find as much about the best methods and time to hunt, but have not seen much consistency with everyone's advice and stories. That being said, what are the best times of day, types of calls and other basics to use when trying to call in the big cats?

Thanks!

#2 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6835 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Welcome to PT chasetexas22. I'm not a lot of help to you there in Texas but I'm sure Catcapper will be along soon to help you out. I hope you enjoy your time here, I look forward to hearing from you and good luck with the cougar's.

Edited by Mattuk, 13 September 2011 - 01:42 PM.

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#3 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

I'll second the welcome and advice from Matt. Catcapper is the resident expert on such matters.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#4 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey welcome brother from another mother to the site. We have some experience lion hunters here..for me I have yet to see one, in the wild.

But I just saw on the local news today that michigan has another reporting of a lion in the U.P. of Michigan. It was captured on a trail cam and the locals in Otangon are all geared up ! So maybe a road trip is in order.

Again welcome, pull up a chair, sit back, and enjoy.

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Maybe Skip can get another hat out of this.

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#6 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yeah a new hat !!! With a long tail .

Nah...he will take a picture and be happy :)

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

Picture .....the man mounted a chipmunk... there is no way on this green earth that he is only taking a picture. He might have it laying across the back of the sofa though.

Tree Branch Calls

#8 "JJ"

"JJ"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

I am going to stay tuned in to this as wel!

I have one game ranch that has been loosing critters to cougars and wants them gone. I have watched all kinds of lion hunt videos but ALL have been with dogs. Info on "calling" the big cats is fairly limited.

I look forward to any info!
:pawprint: "JJ" :pawprint:

#9 cornstalker

cornstalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

You may also consider getting a hold of Steve Tormala.

http://rain-shadow.com/

He offers calls, recorded lion vocals and tutorials. Good stuff.

Or see if you can track down Steve Craig with AZ predator hunts.

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

Steve is a member here as well.

Tree Branch Calls

#11 cornstalker

cornstalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Craig or Tormala?

#12 JTKillough

JTKillough

Magister Invisibilis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

I am by no means an expert on calling any critter, but I have called in a Mountain Lion. I used a mouth call in conjuntion with an electronic caller. I played a high pitched cottontail type call on the electric and sang a fawn bleat on the mouth call. The real trick is being within ear-shot of the lion. Lions have a large territory and roam that territory endlessly. Thats why so many find it easier to cut tracks with dogs. Calling is a hit and miss affair. Use fawn bleat, stay still, and hopefully you'll get a shot.

Don't be silent, stay still, or become invisable.  Thats how you save the shooting sports....You need to VOTE!

#13 catcapper

catcapper

Master Trapper/Predator Hunter

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2195 posts
  • Location:Up High in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains Westcliffe,CO.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to Predatortalk.com, chasetexas22, from high up in the Great Colorado Rocky Mountains.

If your hunt'in an area that holds a good number of lions, you shouldn't have much of a problem tak'in one of those Texas animals.

Lion sounds on an e caller (if legal) tend to work fairly well and permit you to target the critter your hunt'in. Calf Bawl, Fawn Bleat and Sheep Distress will draw a big cats attention as well. Those southern lions will respond to different Rabbit Distress sounds too.

I have best results call'in lions in from about 2 in the afternoon, till dark. Try to find a stand that is a bit higher than the rest of the area to give yourself a bit of an advantage at spott'in a big cat com'in in before he's right in your lap.

The most important bit of info I can give ya if you want to become a Lion Man is---"Hunt on Sign"

Ha---now you got me go'in chasetexas22--- I'll start a new Lion post so the other gals & guys don't miss out on some other info that will help get the kitties.

Good luck on your hunt.

:)

If you run you'll only die tired

"All Wild Things"

Nuisance Wildlife Control

#14 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1959 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Seen One but never call one in that I know of---Few and far between in the U.P.---But I did mount one for a friend once ----Here's a Pic--[no Hat} mounted the moose and ram too

Attached Files

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#15 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17929 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

Craig or Tormala?

Sorry for the late reply.

Steve Tormala aka Rainshadow

Tree Branch Calls

#16 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7590 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Nice pic's. Skip, is the Dall and Moose from up here or Alaska!!

#17 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Very nice Skip.

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#18 chasetexas22

chasetexas22

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Thanks so much for the help guys. Looking forward to getting out there and giving it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users