Predator Hunting Forum banner

What is the worst camp food you have ever had on a hunt?

9K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  chopayne 
#1 ·
Mine are eating mountain house and next are MRE military rations. I will eat them but as a last resort.

#2 ·
Mountain house sounds a little woody and what ever that is?

All camp food tastes pretty good after a hard day hunting, even burnt leaves. Now I'm talking tenting and without all the luxeries that so many people have to have.

You must have had the hiccups when posting this topic.

#7 ·
Reactions: bones44
#9 ·
Yes but isn't it burbot ?

#12 ·
Yes it is...you know my spelling. But it is was most excellent and it was a welcome dinner thanks to an Indian named Wayne.

But I do remember eating Mountain House freeze dried dinners while hiking in New Mexico for a week. I lived but sure did welcome a fresh burger with all the fixins.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last time out, we had a camp set up in the middle of no where New Mexico, in the Gila Wilderness. Fortunetly, my brother is a bonified dutch oven chef, and loves to stay in camp, drink and cook. The food was fantastic, and plenty of it. Nothing like coming in after all day walking or horseback and having dutch oven turkey with stuffing, mashed potatos, gravy, corn and some cobbler for dessert. It's no wonder some of the guys stay out a whole month. Haven't had a camp like that for a few years now though. We all seem to be busy working and can't get it together, but I can hardly wait for the next time. Hope I have enough vacation to cover the whole month next time. Thats something I will put on my bucket-list.

#13 ·
There were a group of hunters that decided that the one to complain about the food will have to take over the task. So not one complaint happen so one day the guy decited to make a meal that would bet him out of the cooking chore. He made a moose nugget pie. Every one came back and ate and supper, one of the guys ask what it was ad he was told it as moose nugget pie, he started to make his objection to the pie and realized that he would end up the cook and so he said "this is the best moose nugget pie he had ever ate.

#14 ·
I beleive this really happened. There were some soldiers in the field and there was one LT. that had a cation of molted milk balls, Well a CPT that ended up eating them all and replaced them with moose nuggets. The LT came in in the dark and found the Moose nugget replacements, and when he tasted them he had the use of several words that I will nor post. I have seen/work with both and i believe it happened.

#15 ·
Worst I remember is some weiners. They worked through the ice into the water in the bottom of the cooler. I fished them out and they had turned green. So did I. No more hot dogs that trip.

#16 ·
I have found that when no one cooks after all have been afield, that ANYTHING tastes good even to the point you eat slowly as to savor the normally mundane offerings. Stale potato chips, dried out bread with peanut butter thats old as well from a jar left over in camp from the year before--it doesnt matter. Hunger changes everything and rather quickly.

#18 ·
Mountain House are better than the food I eat on a daily basis. I have quite a collection built up and they heat up real nice with my jetboil personal stove.

#19 ·
Now that's just sad, You need some recipes ?

#22 ·
I'm not sure that I have any complaints about camp food, being out in the wild makes everything taste good.

#23 ·
Brian for 2 year's you lived on veggie juice!?

Don your so right as long as everything else is going well the food will be just fine.

#28 ·
ha ha...you would not like seeing me in spandex ! Kinda like a bear in tights

I have a new juicer now they sent me for a little $. If you have never tried one of those juicers givem a try. I know you would love the juice.

And you Rick with all that produce could put it up in the freezer.

#30 ·
worst camp food was in 88 on a scout trip. We were out near burro creek in az and one of the kids set a snare for rabbits and caught a [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] skunk. scout master cleaned it cooked it with wild onions and garlic in a stew. i will tell you know that skink is not a good eating animal i would rather eat a domestic cat than another skunk

#31 ·
That can be arranged Jason.

#35 ·
Have they really gotten better or do you just have callouses on your tongue now ?

Reactions: bones44
#34 ·
When we were kids, we tried to cook creek chubs once while camping (we were only gonna eat what we caught fishing)....That was the worst food that I've ever tasted on a camping trip....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.