59 replies to this topic

#1 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

Havent personally baited yotes, but have hunted at night over bait from a friends baiting. My query is yotes will come into bait most anytime I'm sure, but what are their preferred times for visiting a carcass or bait? And do you try to bait close to cover or use the bait further out to draw them in the open--and why?:thumbsup:

#2 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

I've never baited for them but would assume that they would come as soon as they smell see or hear it. They will certainly be more cautious at some times than others though.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#3 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2320 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

thanks YD, going to try some people food! A big fat rotisserie whole chicken, hanging low but off the ground . Never know till i try, will try it this Sunday though and report here unless the weather doesnt cooperate.

#4 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

I hope you're gonna take first crack at that chicken before you hang him out to dry.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#5 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2054 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

A22 lots of guys bait coyotes here in the U.P.-------Feb and March best months for baiting here cause their real hungry----Farmers with dead cow pits are sure spots-any time of the year--Baiting works good--some friends shot 61 yotes { 3 hunters] last winter---28 from one bait station alone--another group of 3 -shot 54----best time day light to 10 am----and 8pm to 1am-but they show up almost any time----One time I shot 3 at high noon----last winter I shot 3----12 am to 1 am---sb---p.s.---best bait beaver , fish--Deer---frozen carcass---Hot weather I don't Know---

Edited by SWAMPBUCK10PT, 10 May 2011 - 07:06 PM.

CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#6 Antlerz22

Antlerz22

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2320 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

Thx SB, fish gives me ideas, lakes everywhere where I hunt. Does it matter if the meat/carcass etc.. is rotten or decomposing? Thinking about a trick my cousin uses to bream (for the yankess--bluegill :hunter2: ) fish a spot. He takes a chicken and puts it in a potato sack the plastic red kind with little square openings, and ties it up in a branch overhanging water thats not too deep and the water is calm vs current. What happens is the flies lay eggs and then come the maggots, which in turn fall through the holes in the potato sack and randomly "chum" the water. Days later he eases within pole range and drops in a cricket or worm on a hook and voila`! Was wondering if something along this angle could be used on coyote, but hang it just out of reach, or maybe do two, leave one as slightly accessible and the other a tease.

#7 SWAMPBUCK10PT

SWAMPBUCK10PT

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 2054 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

A-22 Don't know about baiting coyotes that way---but it works great for Brook trout on Beaver Ponds------real rotten bait and maggets-coyotes mite-maybe stop and take a look thats about it, We get them feeding heavy on the bait before shooting them---Don't know if warm weather baiting would work------sb
CALL'EM THEY'LL COME

#8 coyotehunter25

coyotehunter25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

what is a rutine for baiting? do u set it out when u want to hunt? or do u set it there a few days in advance?

#9 BivyHunter

BivyHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Never baited on purpose but have had coyotes come into camp looking for hotdogs we pan cooked over the campfire. They came in during the night and circled camp 100 yrds out until I ran them off at 10 am. We were lucky no bears came in...

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
- Mikey D

#10 CamdenOutdoors

CamdenOutdoors

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Got some that just came in on a two day old rabbit carcass I popped. All I did was took an axe to it in the guts and set the game cam up. Next day... No rabbit, 2 sets of tracks, and no pics cause my cam was set too high(doh!). Do watch for bears tho. Not sure where ur huntin but here in fla black bears are sure to come in too. Got a nice pic of his/her hind end getting into the tripe I set out...

-Camden

Attached Files

#11 coyotehunter25

coyotehunter25

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

no bears in SE NE lol

#12 glenway

glenway

Michigan Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1877 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

I found a deer carcass a few weeks ago, after the yotes found it. Enough was left for me to drag off to a spot I can view from a deer blind. Only about a quarter of it was left a few days ago, so I set it in a small white pine about 3 - 4 feet off the ground. When I checked for tracks this morning, after a fresh snow, tracks all over the place.

My friend, Joe and I are going to hide and watch tomorrow just before dawn. I'm taking a Browning BAR with an Aimpoint Hunter optic fed with some 110-grain V-Max loads. Since we will be hunting at first light, I won't have to tote no stinkin' rimfire. Far from it!

I'm taking the FoxPro and Lone Howler decoy, too, in case they need an invitation. Love this stuff!

#13 saskredneck

saskredneck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

i use dead cows and roadkill. the bigger the bait the more coyotes you will kill. i save the small freezer sized stuff for bear baits.

#14 870guy

870guy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

While I know its not a conventional bait for coyote, I was deer hunting at a friends bait pile of sweet potatoes. Around 4 pm a coyote showd up from straight in front of me. I couldn't get a shot at the time and he moved off to my left, about 20 mins later he showed up right under me without a sound, once again he slipd by with out offering me a shot. Another 30 mins goes by and I see him again comin in. This time I was ready and got an arrow in em. That coyote was hunting the bait pile just like I was. Every time he showd up he came from a different angle. Even ate a sweet potato rite before I killed him. Always be ready even when deer huntn. Your not the only one huntn ur pile if u bait

#15 TheRo0sTer

TheRo0sTer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

So how do you secure the bait so the yotes don't run off with it? I'm thinking of picking up some road kill Thursday and securing it to some private land and coming back early Sat for a look and hopefully a shot. Or is baiting something you want do the day before and then go out in the AM. I've been told yotes are seen and heard in the area, I just would like more of an advantage.

Anthony

#16 BondCoCoyote

BondCoCoyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

So how do you secure the bait so the yotes don't run off with it? I'm thinking of picking up some road kill Thursday and securing it to some private land and coming back early Sat for a look and hopefully a shot. Or is baiting something you want do the day before and then go out in the AM. I've been told yotes are seen and heard in the area, I just would like more of an advantage.

We stake a piece of hog panel fencing down over the top of the carcass. They work for hours trying to pull their meal out of the 6x6 squares.

"THE FOOD CHAIN ENDS HERE!"

#17 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

You can also throw out pieces of old freezer burned meat all over an area you plan to hunt. If you spread it out enough they'll come back a few times to check to make sure they got it all. Or freeze a bunch of meat in a 5 gallon bucket. We call them baitsicles. The weather has to cooperate though which it hasn't done here at all. Good luck !

FIGHT !!!!

#18 NattyB

NattyB

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Story Time from Lycoming County Pa. My buddy calls me up with this story last October (He's sober and honest). He shoots a doe during archery season and began tracking soon due to fading light and good hit. 40 some yards on track, a doe coming from the other direction almost runs him over and crashes into a brush pile, but dosen't exit. He realizes it's the doe he just shot and assumes it ran back to him from a bear. He pulls the doe from the brush and has to win a whoofing match with the bear that shows up. He got the doe loaded on the truck while yelling at the bear. He guts the deer about 400 yards from site of kill and about 75 yards below his house. Coyotes start to howl. As he's skinning, he asks his wife to shine the light at the gut pile. 4 eyes from two yotes appear. He goes into his house to retrieve his .22 Mag and shoots one yote. It runs off, not to be recovered. The yotes stayed in area of pile, but bolted when they tried to spotlight them other times that night. He regretted using the .22 Mag and not his 7mm. I know it's not quite like the movie "Grey", but pretty close to it for PA.
At his place, I'm convinced you would do well from his porch with a venison/roadkill bait 150 yards out into his field using a good spotlight and a centerfire. He says he can't let any deer lay overnight due to bear and coyotes.

RS, NattyB

#19 aberry223

aberry223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Go to those guys know what they are doing for baiting that's how and where I got started on baiting . I have been finding some good things here to let's keep this going !!!!

#20 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7844 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Shooting any animals over set bait is illegal in a lot of states and provinces, So check the reg's first-- lighter on the pocket book. Luring animals in to set bait -- I wouldn't really call that Hunting!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users