Predator Hunting Forum banner

Squirrel

7K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Bigdrowdy1 
#1 ·
Ok chaps Squirrel whats it like, how should I cook it and with what?

#2 ·
Anyway You can cook it boiled, In Dumplings, Fried Ect. My Mom used to cook Fried Squirrel, Eggs, Grits, Bacon and bisquits for Breakfast, I have eaten it right in the woods over a campfire with nothing but Pepper on it! Just Watch the Bones I usually cut the legs off and cut off the ribs and cut the back in half, Be sure to remove the Scent Glands under the front legs and if you lay it on its back the large seam in the muscle inside the back legs there is a gland there as well.

#4 ·
I've had fried squirrel mmmmm good stuff maynard ! I knew a lady that made squirrel in a roasting pan with gravy. That was good eats. I wish I had her recipe.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back when I was a Kid We fried the squirrel, Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes, fried Bacon and made Bisquits, put them all on a plate and covered them all with Milk gravy made from the Bacon Grease! MMMM Good Stuff!! Not too healthy but Great Breakfast!!

Matt the Greys were better for this normally the Larger Squirres were pretty tough when fried but still Pretty good just had to work harder to eat it.

#7 ·
Are you all talking drop dumplings or flat dumplings ?

#9 ·
Mattuk said:
Dumplings are dumplings aren't they? stodgy and horrible!
Mattuk I can't believe that you would say such a thing. Dumblings are flat out amazing. Maybe overthere you guys don't know how to cook them.

YoungDon I like both but I prefer flat dumblings.

#11 ·
I prefer the flat ones too!

I don't think he meant to imply that at all Matt, but perhaps they are not her forte`.

#12 ·
Just Like anything else, Some Like em and some dont. I Love them and yes Noone Makes them Like MY Mom Does! except maybe my Oldest Daughter and oldest Sister!

#13 ·
youngdon said:
I prefer the flat ones too!

I don't think he meant to imply that at all Matt, but perhaps they are not her forte`.
Don I'm only joking! My mother's a great cook, its me that doesn't like dumplings.

#16 ·
Yes you would most likely find them pleasing to the belly, I do at least. Fried squirrel can be good, a bit tuff but still very tastee. I cooked the first tree rat I ever shot when I was 12, shake n bake method and it was great. Squirrel stew is good to....its all good in fact if it was not for the cleaning of them I would concider them the best meat of all.

#18 ·
Squirrel is good, but I like dessert the best--take shaky pudding for instance: its a sure winner with all southern gents!

#22 ·
Take the squirrel and dredge it in seasoned flour and brown it in a skillet. Then finish in the oven. My step-mom does this and it always comes out falling off the bone. She usually takes the leftovers and pulls all the meat off and the next morning makes biscuits and gravy with it. Does it the same way as sausage gravy but uses the squirrel meat instead. I tell ya its the best breakfast you'll ever eat! One reason my dad aimed to get 100+ squirrels a season!

#24 ·
Pretty much like rabbit but a lot less meat. If you haven't had rabbit I dunno what I'd compare it too. And I'm not gonna refer to the phrase "tastes like chicken" lol. Its definitely needs a low n slow cook method or it can be tough as leather. My cuz and I have talked about trying it in the slow cooker with hotwing sauce just haven't tried it yet

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I cook squirrel much like I cook jack and cottontail rabbit, par-boil 30 mins. first. Then try whatever recipe you like to use for pork. The last few I've made (rabbits and squirrel even the two combined) after par-boiling, I pulled the meat off the bones then pulled it apart some more and put it in the crock pot with some sautéed onions and BBQ sauce(pulled pork basically) for about 4-6 hours. Good eating right there. That par-boiling will make it so you can chew it, and since "tastes like chicken" falls short as a description, I'd go with tastes like the darker meat part of a pork roast as comparable flavor. lol

As for the dumplins I like drops, slightly better. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.