• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Austin419

Austin419

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm in the market for either of these guns. I will be coyote and hogs along with other varmints and predators. Which caliber would y'all prefer? Thanks guys!:gunshooting:

#2 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Personally I would choose a .243 if you have a big game also you would like to hunt the .243 allows you to do that. A .223 and or 22-250 is limited to vamit and small game. The 22-250 is a great round as it the .223 which there is a TON of ammo out there.

But the .243 is a excellent round. Do not over look it.

#3 whackemstackem21

whackemstackem21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

221 rem. fireball for predators. n if you want to save the pelts

#4 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

22-250 would be my pick. 243 may also be a good choice. 243 would prob be a little better hog gun but if you load right 22-250 should be fun.

#5 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Out of the two choices you gave, I would choose the 22-250 UNLESS the cost of ammo is a big factor for you. I would assume that from where you are located that a 300yd shot is pretty much your maximum and a 223 will certainly do that and ammo is real plentiful and cheap. A 22-250 on the other hand is a much faster and flatter shooting round unless you pay for the ultra-premium 223 ammo which will match standard velocity 22-250 ammo. If you reload the cost of ammo becomes a non-factor although the 22-250 requires a bit more powder the bullets are exactly the same. The cost of the extra bit of powder is negligable. The 22-250 will when loaded correctly out perform the 223 by several hundred feet per second, thereby shooting flatter and delivering more punch.

Now if you want to step outside of the parameters that you set forth in your initial query, and bring the .243 and the 204Ruger and OK the 221fireball too. Buy the .243, it is flat shooting and the bullet range goes from 55gr to 105gr. It will vaporize prairie dogs (well, at least the midle half) and drop the biggest whitetail. The .204 is a great round and accurate as they come IMO and cheap to load, the draw back is that coyotes are the limit IMO. Yes you can kill a pig with it but you really don't have any room for error and truthfully the bullets are just a bit thin in the jacket area for something that may require that much penetration. The 221 fireball is IMO (sorry Wack and Stack) a round that is on its way to obsolescence. Brass will be harder and harder to find and loaded ammo prices will follow suit. Yes I know it has hung on this long and it is a neat round but practically speaking it is NOT practical. Put the .222 and the .222 mag. (sorry Brian) in that same getting harder to find column.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#6 Austin419

Austin419

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:53 AM

I have killed hogs with a 22 so I'm sure either will do the trick for yotes and mr piggy

#7 Helmet_S

Helmet_S

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:29 AM

Out of the two choices you gave, I would choose the 22-250 UNLESS the cost of ammo is a big factor for you. I would assume that from where you are located that a 300yd shot is pretty much your maximum and a 223 will certainly do that and ammo is real plentiful and cheap. A 22-250 on the other hand is a much faster and flatter shooting round unless you pay for the ultra-premium 223 ammo which will match standard velocity 22-250 ammo. If you reload the cost of ammo becomes a non-factor although the 22-250 requires a bit more powder the bullets are exactly the same. The cost of the extra bit of powder is negligable. The 22-250 will when loaded correctly out perform the 223 by several hundred feet per second, thereby shooting flatter and delivering more punch.

Now if you want to step outside of the parameters that you set forth in your initial query, and bring the .243 and the 204Ruger and OK the 221fireball too. Buy the .243, it is flat shooting and the bullet range goes from 55gr to 105gr. It will vaporize prairie dogs (well, at least the midle half) and drop the biggest whitetail. The .204 is a great round and accurate as they come IMO and cheap to load, the draw back is that coyotes are the limit IMO. Yes you can kill a pig with it but you really don't have any room for error and truthfully the bullets are just a bit thin in the jacket area for something that may require that much penetration. The 221 fireball is IMO (sorry Wack and Stack) a round that is on its way to obsolescence. Brass will be harder and harder to find and loaded ammo prices will follow suit. Yes I know it has hung on this long and it is a neat round but practically speaking it is NOT practical. Put the .222 and the .222 mag. (sorry Brian) in that same getting harder to find column.

Very well say buddy.

Missouri Hunters Journal

Just another hunter sharing my experiences of both success and failures.

www.MissouriHuntersJournal.com

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:35 AM

Thank you my friend, I appreciate and respect your astute observations as well.

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#9 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Austin, I'm sure the 22 will do the job. However it is not enough gun IMO

Edited by youngdon, 24 February 2011 - 06:39 AM.

Tree Branch Calls

#10 Austin419

Austin419

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

i was saying that ive killed hogs with a 22 so the 22-250 or 223 would do plenty good

#11 trappertommy

trappertommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

I agree with youngdon ..well stated.... 6mm is another option .. almost the same as the 243.. todays world cost is everything ....if you shoot alot. i burn about 300 rds aweek so the 22cal. is best all around deer and dogs 6mm 243
good luck with your search..

#12 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

2x on YD. In hunting the best shot placement is not always presented. In ideal conditions you could probably kill a hog with a pellet gun but I wouldnt want to go hunting hogs with one. Though all of us are expert shots (LOL) There are times I dont know why I missed or why I hit my target there. I think what one should take into consideration is what cal is most efficent to do the job without major overkill and still be a humane cal to use in respect to the animal being persued. We owe it to our sport as well as the animals we hunt to do what we do right and humanely. We are the curators of our sport what we do and how we do it says everything about us as hunters. Thats my way of thinking.

Circles are for Donuts. Crosshairs are for Killin!

#13 Helmet_S

Helmet_S

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

2x on YD. In hunting the best shot placement is not always presented. In ideal conditions you could probably kill a hog with a pellet gun but I wouldnt want to go hunting hogs with one. Though all of us are expert shots (LOL) There are times I dont know why I missed or why I hit my target there. I think what one should take into consideration is what cal is most efficent to do the job without major overkill and still be a humane cal to use in respect to the animal being persued. We owe it to our sport as well as the animals we hunt to do what we do right and humanely. We are the curators of our sport what we do and how we do it says everything about us as hunters. Thats my way of thinking.

That is shooting it straight right there. Well stated.

Missouri Hunters Journal

Just another hunter sharing my experiences of both success and failures.

www.MissouriHuntersJournal.com

#14 coyotejon

coyotejon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

300 yard shot with a .223 is attainable, but with stiff or gusting wind it can be tough. Typically you have about a 7 inch drop out to 300 with a .223 which is definitely enough to screw your shot in less than ideal shooting conditions. I shot 40 rounds out of my .223 at 100, 200, and 300 yards yesterday with an insane gusting cross wind, and grouping at 300 was pretty tough. I'm not sure how much a 22-250 drops at 300 but I am sure some one will let us know.

#15 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Personally I would choose a .243 if you have a big game also you would like to hunt the .243 allows you to do that. A .223 and or 22-250 is limited to vamit and small game. The 22-250 is a great round as it the .223 which there is a TON of ammo out there.

But the .243 is a excellent round. Do not over look it.

OAC and youngdon are spot on and I would take the .243

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

A .223 rem shooting a55gr v-max at 3240 fps and a 200yd zero will be -7.1 at 300...-21.4 at 400....-45.2 at 500

A 22-250 shooting a55gr V-max at 3680 fps and a 200yd zero will be -5.3 at 300....-16.1 at 400....-34.2 at 500

Edited by youngdon, 24 February 2011 - 02:50 PM.

Tree Branch Calls

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Mind you that you can certainly shoot either of these rounds at higher velocities, and that will change the amount of drop but the ratio between the two will remain constant given identical velocity increases. IMO the 22-250 has more potential to boost velocity over those stated. Energy is a whole different set of numbers. It does not matter if the bullet only drops a miniscule amount over a given range if it does not have the energy to penetrate the target. Unless you are shooting to hear a bong. If you believe differently you have probably been smoking a bong. LOL

Tree Branch Calls

#18 Mattuk

Mattuk

Wildlife Manager

• Members
  • 6835 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Bongs are such a giggle don, the noise type! My .22-250 was a flat shooting rifle straight out of the box if your only after fox or coyote its the one to have.

Remington Core-Lokt

The Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods.

UNJ PRO STAFF

http://www.upnorthjournal.com

National Diploma in Game, Deer, Fishery & Wildlife Management

National Deer Stalking Certificate and other land-based industries.

#19 HowlinRed

HowlinRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Mattux, what was your .22-250 and did it ruin the fox hide?

#20 RoughNeck

RoughNeck

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

This is the age old question on what caliber you would have, All are good rounds just depends on if you reload or buy them from a store, or if you like the AR. Most say this gun shots better or that gun does. It is up to you ive seen yotes run off with both 22-250 and 223. If you like the gun then pick it cause your buddy will tell you his which is diffrent shots better. I shot an AR and a bolt action 223 and have never had any problems with them. But my brother shots a 22-250 and likes it so it is up to you as to which one you pick as for me the 223 is the way to go. (JMO)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users