• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 4everbowhunt

4everbowhunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Does anyone hunt coyotes in the woods.I don't have the luxury of wide open spaces.The property I hunt is 3500 acres with 1 small field of about 5 acres.There are lots of coyotes on this property but trying to call one in is getting a little frustrating.I have done 32 stands in the past 4 weeks and have not seen a coyote.I have shot quite a few with my bow when sitting one of my spring bear baits.The following pics show what the coyotes have been doing to one of the cows that died 3 weeks ago and was hauled back into the woods.Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Have you thought about stand hunting for them? If you find the dens you might have just as much luck setting up in sight of where you'll know they'll be. Also, the guys from Downwind Outdoors in upstate New York seem to be having lots of luck setting up on the top of ridges overlooking wooded valleys below and ravines as well. Seems like most of their shots on those setups are 40-60 yards and they have time to see the critter come in.

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#3 4everbowhunt

4everbowhunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

One of my problems right now is we have over 3 feet of snow in the woods,the trees are mostly evergreens and the limbs have a lot of snow hanging on them, and I have to use snowshoes alot.The woods are very thick for the most part and it is difficult to try and track the yotes to see where they are denning.I do have an excellent ridge top where I've taken 2 bucks the past 2 seasons and will give it a try.The paunches from those deer did not last until the next morning because the yotes had them cleaned up.

#4 saskredneck

saskredneck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

what about waterways? any creeks or drainages with open ice? i like to set up in cattails and call them in.

#5 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Looks like a good place for a snare set. You sure that aint a den and the coyotes have wised up and started camoing their home with cow hides. LOL

Circles are for Donuts. Crosshairs are for Killin!

#6 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18172 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:22 AM

I f my math is correct that is 8 stands per week, so is that 8 stsnds once a week or one a day? I ask because of the space you have. How far apart, distance wise are your stands, what volume are you using? I would guess that they are wise to you by now. Give them a little time off and then call from a new place using a different sound. I'd go with the ridge or a waterway (if you have one) DO NOT sit on top of the ridge or even walk down it. Stay down far enough that you are not skylined.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#7 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7824 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

One of my problems right now is we have over 3 feet of snow in the woods,the trees are mostly evergreens and the limbs have a lot of snow hanging on them, and I have to use snowshoes alot.The woods are very thick for the most part and it is difficult to try and track the yotes to see where they are denning.I do have an excellent ridge top where I've taken 2 bucks the past 2 seasons and will give it a try.The paunches from those deer did not last until the next morning because the yotes had them cleaned up.

Find where the deer hang out the most, either feeding during the day or where they hole up for the night and concentrate on those areas, best way to get in there, wind direction, possible tree stand, if the snow is still soft now would be the time to make your setup area and leave it for a few days, when the snow crusts the yotes will be all over those deer.

#8 4everbowhunt

4everbowhunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:02 AM

Unfortunately there are no waterways or drainages on this property.I average 3 stands per outing with at least 1/4 mile between stands.Most of the deer are hanging out within 400 metres of the house making it illegal to discharge a firearm within this distance.The ridge runs east-west and with the wind out of the northerly I can approach it from downwind without having to crest it which is a good thing.In you guys experiences about how far downwind of your stand would you find a coyote circling to check things out???My max. shot distance would be about 50 yards.

#9 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

Looks like a good place for a snare set. You sure that aint a den and the coyotes have wised up and started camoing their home with cow hides. LOL

Yotes are starting to set up shop as decorators. " Gee I think the Angus would look much better in the den than the Jersy "

I agree...great spot to set a few snares !!!

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18172 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Unfortunately there are no waterways or drainages on this property.I average 3 stands per outing with at least 1/4 mile between stands.Most of the deer are hanging out within 400 metres of the house making it illegal to discharge a firearm within this distance.The ridge runs east-west and with the wind out of the northerly I can approach it from downwind without having to crest it which is a good thing.In you guys experiences about how far downwind of your stand would you find a coyote circling to check things out???My max. shot distance would be about 50 yards.

That depends so much on the terrain that you have, if there is an easy path through the thick areas that is where they will move. A coyote will most always follow the path of least resistance until he has reason to go elsewhere,due to sight, sound, smell.

Edited by youngdon, 08 February 2011 - 12:48 PM.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#11 MaxxisHntr

MaxxisHntr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

oh just a warning be careful approaching those dens haha. i have walked up on dens before about 5ft away from the entrance (when deer hunting) and have had a coyote snarl at me from inside the hole. it was very unexpected so the first thing i did was jump back and cram some shells into my slug gun lol the coyote never showed itself though. this was just before noon so it must have been just sitting in the den when i came up on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users