compound vs crossbow

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 whitetail pro

whitetail pro

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

my thoughts are if they are hunting then let them. in some states they think you have to be disabled to use a crossbow unless you shoot it in rifle season what do you all think?

#2 bison66

bison66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

all for crossbow use it enabled a guy like me (cant shoot a bow to save my a$$) to get into the archery season

#3 whitetail pro

whitetail pro

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

all for crossbow use it enabled a guy like me (cant shoot a bow to save my a$$) to get into the archery season

well no matter what ever you shoot you are still hunting that is what we need thanks:cool:

#4 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

I use crossbows and love them...been shooting one for almost 20 years.

#5 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I would say go for it. Yes it may be easier to become a good shot with a crossbow but you don't really get any more range than a good compound bow. Also if you can't use a crossbow in archery season then what is the point of using one. If you are allowed to use some of these new frontloaders that can shoot out to 300 yards then why not let the crossbow shooters have a go in archery season.

#6 bones44

bones44

Resident Smart Aleck

• Members
  • 5823 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

Go for it !! If it wasn't for Michigan legalizing it I wouldn't have been able to hunt this past season due to major back surgery. If it gets folks more interested then that just means more in the ranks of outdoorspeople. Good luck !! Tom

#7 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Yes they should be allowed durring and right allong side the bow.

#8 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Arizona is one of the states that will not allow the use of a crossbow (unless disabled, and that includes temporarily) except during rifle season.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#9 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

So my mental disability allows me to use them in Az ?

Does it have to be certifiable. ?

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

Not yours, just everyone else.

I think a diploma from Bowsher qualifies you. LOL

Tree Branch Calls

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#11 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

Sweet maybe I can wear my pointed cap ?

#12 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

Ah yes the ecnud cap.

Tree Branch Calls

#13 cwh

cwh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

they are getting more time in kentucky for crossbow season dont see why you can use them i mean with the technology they put in compounds with letoffs starting to not be much difference in power

#14 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

The real and only advantage ( unless you go to the really powerfull ones ) is the fact it is ready and you do not have to hold a draw. They are nice for stalking and a little more compact.

Again...I like them...but do not expect a huge advantage.

#15 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Pros, fast, easy to aim/shoot/allow disabled hunters an archery season, also allow non/new hunters to be introduced to archery with success.

Cons, noisy, follow up shots VERY difficult, some are heavy and cumbersome, hard to maneuver because of width, etc.

I'm not a huge fan outside of handicapped usage. Colorado won't even let you allow them during archery unless you're in a wheelchair.

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#16 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

allow disabled hunters an archery season, also allow non/new hunters to be introduced to archery with success.

Honestly, I figured this to be the only reason for shooting one. If you have good arms / shoulders, why would you bother?

Not wanting to talk down on anyone...I'm just ignorant and do not see the benefit.

#17 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:18 AM

Honestly, I figured this to be the only reason for shooting one. If you have good arms / shoulders, why would you bother?

Not wanting to talk down on anyone...I'm just ignorant and do not see the benefit.

Benefits to me are this...they are ready, no need to draw. One of the biggest things I dislike about tradtional bows is having to draw. If you are still hunting or stalking you have your arrow hanging out front making moving through brush noisy. The cross bow may be a bit more heavy but it is more compact also and the bolt is laying on the rail. I have stalked a number of deer with my Horton CB. Some times I was crawling and had to shoot in the prone position, try that with a recurve, long or compound.

Trust me I love my recurve and compounds also. However if I am wanting to kill a deer, hands down I will grab my CB every time.

Once sighted in and it is true and using the right bolts and heads I can shoot pop tops at 35 yards and even out to 50 with a rest.

They are a bit noisy but not all that bad...I can reload my 175 pounder sitting down with very little movement and without the aid of any cocking device.

#18 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17936 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

All those benefits are the exact reasons that many states do not allow them during bow season.

Tree Branch Calls

#19 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • 5398 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:35 AM

Which is why I do not understand that they do not. There is no more effective yardage. Each year more and more states are adding the CB to thier bow use. Michigan added it last year as did a couple other states. Some put restrictions on them like Ohio who has a 200 pound limit which I agree with.

They are not like a rifle but in my oppinion they are more effective in shot placement than a bow for the average Joe.

Take my 12 year old daughter who shot her first deer ( a spike ) with my CB. She could not draw a 45 pound compound but she could shoot my CB. Being able allowed her to bag her first buck. The following year my son did the same and nailed a nice 148 inch eight point.

#20 wilded

wilded

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

Here is a link to a crossbow debate article I wrote before the legislature voted to make them legal in Texas. Supposedly it would ruin bow season in Texas. The last two years no one has even noticed a difference. JMHO

The Great Crossbow Debate
http://wildedtx.blog...bow-debate.html
Stop by my Texas Outdoor Blog and leave a comment.

http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users