• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Ok, i'm breaking our number one rule by not posting any pictures but it's late and it's a basic rifle anyway.

I went to Cabelas tonight and picked up the $249 Savage Edge in 22-250 (on sale). Nothing fancy, no AccuTrigger or AccuStock.

My goal was to get into a new predator gun that can reach out and touch something, without destroying pelts. Will this do it? I don't know yet...

Can anyone recommend a good scope for it that won't break the bank? I'm a fan of big time magnification... I like to be able to put the bullet exactly where I want it - even at distance.

Any and all thoughts on the 22-250 for predator hunting are welcome. Really hoping to fall in love with this round so I can get into reloading it.

#2 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

What's your "Won't break the bank limit?"

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#3 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

What's your "Won't break the bank limit?"

Like $200... yea i know, probably wont even work. I thought I still had a coyote special in black waiting for me. I totally forgot that I had sold it on ebay. :confused2:

#4 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

Like $200... yea i know, probably wont even work. I thought I still had a coyote special in black waiting for me. I totally forgot that I had sold it on ebay. :confused2:

Check SWFA.com. You can pick up a 4-12x Leupold Rifleman for $219 or a new Redfield with the same magnification for $209. Either is going to be as good or better as your Nikons. Or you could take Rowdy's advice and give the Sightron's a chance.

#5 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7810 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

Yes I agree with ebbs on the above, thats a real good price on the Leupold.

#6 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

You're gonna like the 22-250. I have had mine for about 30 years. Don't shoot it enough but then, I don't shoot enough any more, period. Great price on a quality rifle, like them Savages.
:cold:
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#7 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

Chris go to Manventure outpost.com. Check out the Sightron SII 4.514x50. I think they are 320.00. Then they give you a 5% discount off a 30.00 purchase or more. Sightron has a 50.00 rebate for the SII scopes and 75.00 on the Big Sky scopes( these are pricy). I love this scope. The Clearity is Great and maintains zero real well. I liked it so much i put it on the 243 as well. Have this on my R-15. Sorry no Circles though. Freight and all I think it will be 258.00 after rebate. Now if you have to have circles I have a barely used Nikon Coyote Special Camo 3-9x40mm with Circles and all papers to your door 175.00.I dont feel I will need it.

Circles are for Donuts. Crosshairs are for Killin!

#8 On a call

On a call

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

If it were me I would lean towards the Rifleman in the 3-9x50 ( I like the larger optics ) or the 4-12x40.

Good luck Chris.

#9 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18153 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

www.manventureoutpost.com Here's the link.

Edited by youngdon, 31 January 2011 - 08:05 AM.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#10 coyotehunter243

coyotehunter243

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Let's us know how it shoots I'd like to have one and have heard they're pretty accurate.
Take N It To The Edge Outdoors

www.jctaxidermy.9f.com

#11 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hey Chris opticsplanet ,swfa and 4scopes all stock the sightron if you want to compare prices as well.

#12 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Alright... follow-up post is up:

http://www.predatort...ange-today.html

#13 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

Alright... follow-up post is up:

http://www.predatort...ange-today.html

WOOT! It's the real deal.

#14 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Nice shootin Chris. I am really liking the looks of all these Axis rifles you guys are coming up with. May have to look at one a little closer. (As if I need it.)
:D
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#15 showmeyote

showmeyote

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Bar-d, nothing wrong with a good investment!

The original Coyote Commander.. 

#16 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 18153 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

Geez don't start with that kind of thinking Bar-d or there'll be a glut of firearms on the market.

Tree Branch Calls

If you use it, they will come !

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon !

#17 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

ya need air to breath, guns are wants nothin wrong with wants. I always wants more LOL

#18 El Gato Loco

El Gato Loco

Major Contributor

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 3465 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

ya need air to breath, guns are wants nothin wrong with wants. I always wants more LOL

A want today, could become a necessity tomorrow. I am OK with calling them investments. They sure as heck hold their value better than the US dollar!!! :pawprint:

#19 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2493 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:16 AM

Geez don't start with that kind of thinking Bar-d or there'll be a glut of firearms on the market.

There is kind of a glut at my house!
:pawprint:
Thomas Jefferson

#20 poe

poe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I made a couple small changes to my 40gr VMax loads and I am now shooting half inch or or sometimes less 4 shot groups at 100 yards. Not bad for a 300 dollar rifle and a 100 scope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users