Sponsors

Links

Photo
- - - - -

Range Report Savage model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 243 cal.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Ok went to range today and here is how it went. I will be posting 4 pics. The first picture is 20 rounds Remington express 80 gr. PSP. I was mainly using this for barrel brake in. Shoot 1 round clean completely through the first 20 rounds. Using Butches Bore shine first pass on patch. Change attachment to nylon brush and brush barrel 3 passes. Change attachment to jag and swab barrel with clean patch. Soak new patch with hoppes no.9 and swab barrel.Continue to change patches and swab till last patch is totally clean. I will post 3 more pic after this1 with results. They will have bullet manufacture,bullet weight and brand of powder and grains used. All rounds will be with Winchester new brass and CCI primers. All rounds worked up on Hornady single stage press. All listed information is from the Nosler and Hornady manuals. My rifle has a 24inch fluted medium heavy barrel with a 1in9.25 twist. I was shooting off abench using a Harris bench bipod with sand.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2232[/ATTACH] bags.

Circles are for Donuts. Crosshairs are for Killin!

#2 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2233[/ATTACH]Ok this pic is as follows. Varget powder using 58 gr. v-max bullets.Top Left is Varget 37.5 grains. Top Right is Varget 38.9 grains. Center is Varget 40.2 grains.Bottom Left is Varget 41.5 grains.Bottom Right is Varget 42.9 grains. All bullets were loaded to a COL of 2.600. The bottom center was 3 rounds Hornady Superformance a guy at the range gave me. They were 80 grain GMX bullets. I was impressed but not for $30.00 a box

#3 hassell

hassell

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 7310 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Looking good BigD, been waiting all day for this report HA!!, keeping that new barrel pretty clean.

#4 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2234[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2234[/ATTACH]Ok this is is the 65 grain v-max using Varget powder. Top Left 35.1 grains. Top Right 36.5 grains. Center 37.8 grains.Bottom Left 39.1 grains. Bottom Right 40.4 grains. All bullets seated to a COL of 2.600

#5 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2235[/ATTACH]Sorry about double on picture. Better with rifle than computers. Ok these are Nosler 55 grain purple tipped spizters loadedwith Varget Powder.Top Left and Center are both 41.5 grains varget. Top Right is Winchester 243 100 grain Power Point factory ammo test. Bottom Left is 43.0 grains Varget. Bottom Right is 45.0 grains Varget. The Nosler manual said load to 2.700 COL. but I went 2.650 COL on all the Nosler bullet loads. All shots except for the Factory ammo was 5 shot groups. Plan on continueing to test the best loads again later with 10 shot groups. Hope this helps for those wanting to work up some test loads. I have triple read all these post but if possible confirm these loads before you shoot them. I AM HUMAN. Thanks You can PM me if you got any questions.

#6 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Guess maybe I should have posted this in the reloads section but I am Human lol. Maybe one of our ProStaffers Can copy it there. LOL

#7 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

It looks to me as though you have some pretty good loads there Bigd.

I put a link on the end of ebbs thread on 243 loads.

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

www.josephthomasfoundation.org   (take a look)

#8 wvcoyote

wvcoyote

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

thats some real good groupings,like the looks of the 58gr. the best. thanks for sharing.:confused2:

#9 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2489 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Nice groups BigD. Consistency across the board.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#10 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

It looks as though I'm gonna have to buy me some of that varget.

I was going to pick up some of that IMR-4064 but have yet to get a range report from a member in Colorado. Ahem...AAAAhemmm.

Edited by youngdon, 30 January 2011 - 07:19 PM.

home of the original                                                                                                                                                                                              Tree Branch Calls

#11 bar-d

bar-d

Be vewy, vewy quiet!

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 2489 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

For certain calibers, it is hard to beat Don.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
Thomas Jefferson

#12 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hornady only recomends it up to the 65 grain v-max for the 243. I have seen where others have posted using larger bullets than the 65s. Hornady warns against using longer bullets with the varget powder.

#13 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Dont know how this thing post before I am done but it does. The Varget shoots Great out of my 223s and is recomended for the 223 wssm as well as the 22-250.I like it as it covers several of my riflesand keeps my cost down. I will try some other powders for the 243 just for the heck of it.

#14 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

That's how I got 12 different powders LOL But that also makes it fun, the experimenting.

#15 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

For certain calibers, it is hard to beat Don.

That's what I've heard Danny, and the .223 rem is one of the ones I've heard it about. I like Bigd's results with the .243 varmint weight bullets.

#16 ebbs

ebbs

Die Hard Member

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 1807 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

It looks as though I'm gonna have to buy me some of that varget.

I was going to pick up some of that IMR-4064 but have yet to get a range report from a member in Colorado. Ahem...AAAAhemmm.

I hear ya, Don. Was out yesterday scouting some spots to do some shooting. Found some but not with enough time on the clock to get the testing done. Planning on it this weekend though. Planning a full review video for the Savage too. :confused2:

Visit Haus of Guns at www.HausofGuns.com

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"

#17 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

I may just have to go buy me one of them 22-250's. Do they come in 220Swift I wonder?

#18 youngdon

youngdon

Prolific Member.....

• PredatorTalk Pro-staff
  • 17631 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

Nope !! No swift.

#19 RoughNeck

RoughNeck

Die Hard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Have you ever tried Reloader 15 for the high velocity on varmit rounds ? Then again I use the Reloader 10 & H322 for the 50 grain 223, but for anything higher than 50 grain Reloader 15 is suppose to work very well

#20 Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1

The King of Sausage!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

I have use the H322 and H335 powders and they shot fairly good but the Varget seemed to shoot more consistant so that became the powder I worked with. I guess I could spend some more time with those but the Varget is giving me 5 shot groups under a dime. I plan on saving them for hard times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users